• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2005: July 9-11...Texas Flower Gardens

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
517 replies to this topic

#451 zendiver

zendiver

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 27 June 2005 - 04:29 PM

Does anyone know if cell phone service (GSM) is available out there?

:dance:
mandi

Mandi,

Actually, yes they do work depending on the weather and current location. If the weather is behaving and we are within signal of the bigger rigs, then you can obtain a signal. The problem is that it is VERY EXPENSIVE....if I am not mistaken, the last I heard was $7.00 a minute.

-ZD
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#452 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:50 PM

Scubafanatic,

I too was out there the weekend of the 18-19. Conditions were awesome...probably some of the best visibility I have seen on Stetson in quite some time. Saw a couple of StingRays, Eagle Rays, Silkeys, Loggerhead on the Rig, Sand Bar Shark (BIG ONE),  Eels, & Lobsters. There is was even reports that several people saw a Manta. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see this one.

I was working the Fling with Steve Richmond and I would have to say, it was close to being one of the best trips I have been on: conditions and customers. Everything was awesome....looking forward to going out again this weekend on Sea Searcher for three days (working the boat in preparation for the following weekend) and then then following weekend with all the SD'ers.

Will give a heads-up on Tuesday when I return.

Hi ZD!
.......thanks for the FG update....sounds like a real winning streak out there lately....hope our luck continues to hold.......I'm really looking forward to this trip! :lmao:

....looking forward to your latest update upon your return Tuesday....wonder if it's too soon for me to start packing? :diver:

Karl

#453 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 28 June 2005 - 03:43 PM

And the countdown has begun- - - - - - -
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#454 landlocked

landlocked

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:16 PM

Does anyone know if cell phone service (GSM) is available out there?

:diver:
mandi

Mandi,

Actually, yes they do work depending on the weather and current location. If the weather is behaving and we are within signal of the bigger rigs, then you can obtain a signal. The problem is that it is VERY EXPENSIVE....if I am not mistaken, the last I heard was $7.00 a minute.

-ZD

Thanks. Hopefully I won't need it, but it's nice to know it's available ... sort of :anna:

see you soon.

mandi

#455 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 29 June 2005 - 12:18 AM

Due to the variability of Texas Flower Garden diving...I've been asked what the cancellation policy is for the boat. Since they so rarely blow out in July or August...the months I usually dive the Flower Gardens I had to admit that I did not know so contacted the boat. Here is the reply:

Kamala,

I will call off the trip if the seas are forecast to be 5ft or higher. We can depart with 5ft seas, only if I am confident the wave height will subside to less than 5ft. I also will cancel a trip with less than 5ft seas if there is weather in the forecast that could cause the seas to increase above the 5 ft mark. The boat will take it but the ladder becomes very challenging with seas near 5ft.

I will keep an eye on the weather as the weekend approaches and officially "make the call" no later than noon Friday. If the trip blows out, your money will be returned in a timely manner.

Kamala Shadduck <kamala@singledivers.com> wrote:
Hi Capt Bruce…sorry to bother you…but can you tell me the blow out policy in the unlikely event we need it? Thanks! k

Note: See the first post in this thread for the full details on the boat cancellation policy.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#456 dks001

dks001

Getting started

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:53 AM

Kamala, as a followup on our conversation yesterday, book Rona and I on the last 2 spots.

Dennis

#457 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:05 AM

Kamala, as a followup on our conversation yesterday, book Rona and I on the last 2 spots.

Dennis

Hey Dennis, this is great news. Kamala is in NC for the weekend. I'm sure she will get you booked as soon as she returns or sooner.

Are you driving down to Freeport or flying? Are you all set with weights, a room (if you're staying overnight after returning on the boat), etc. I am helping with the "out-of-towners" on this trip, so if there is anything you need, feel free to send me a PM.

Sandy

#458 dks001

dks001

Getting started

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:40 PM

Dennis

Hey Dennis, this is great news. Kamala is in NC for the weekend. I'm sure she will get you booked as soon as she returns or sooner.

Are you driving down to Freeport or flying? Are you all set with weights, a room (if you're staying overnight after returning on the boat), etc. I am helping with the "out-of-towners" on this trip, so if there is anything you need, feel free to send me a PM.

Sandy

Thanks for the follow up, we will be driving down and have weights, unfortunately have to drive back to DFW on Monday.

Dennis

#459 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 01:28 PM

....just a quick FG weather update........I'm sure some of you have been sweating bullets for this weekend's trip........ but I've been watching the weather channel and various FG weather forcast WWW sites........and while the weather in the Gulf for mid-week will be nasty due to Tropical Depression # 3, the projections are still for this thing to clear out in time for our trip, and the seas to calm to a comfortable level....so, don't panic! :)

I'll do what I can to monitor things...and I'm sure ZD will keep us posted upon his return tomorrow......he's enjoying himself out on the Sea Searcher this weekend.

Karl

#460 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 04 July 2005 - 02:03 PM

Thanks for keeping us up to date, Karl

#461 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 02:54 PM

...no problem, Kim.

...by the way, here's a couple of cool weather links for anyone wanting to monitor FG and the Gulf:

http://www.ssd.noaa....P/trop-atl.html

http://seaboard.ndbc...ZNT24.KNHC.html

Karl

#462 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 05:40 PM

...here's the latest storm track and per the NOAA FG site:

WED NIGHT
SW TO W WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 4 TO 6 FT.

THU
W TO NW WINDS 10 KT. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT.

FRI AND SAT
N TO NE WINDS 10 KT OR LESS. SEAS 1 TO 2 FT.

........it's certainly looking like the weather gods are smiling upon SD.com!

Karl

Attached Images

• TropicalDep3.gif

#463 zendiver

zendiver

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:27 AM

AWESOME....this past weekend was nothing but. Here is a mini-report:

Friday night I got to the boat about 7pm, loaded all my equipment and familiarized myself with the layouot of the Sea Searcher. It is quite a bit different than what I am use to on the Fling and the Spree, but I have been doing this long enough that I got the hang of it rather quickly. Got all my gear set up and got ready for the people to start boarding. We were told that it was going to be a bumpy ride out and they were NOT kidding. A few got sick, but not as many as we thought would. So word of caution, "Take your medication Thursday night if you even remotely thing that you may get sea-sick -- better safe than sorry."

We got to the West Bank at about 6:15, moored up to buoy #1, my favorite on the West Bank as it is closest to the wall. Current was moving pretty swift but nothing that was undiveable. Visibility was about 80 to 100 feet and the water temp was 86 degrees, yes, I said, "86 degrees" all the way to the bottom. We stayed at the West Bank all day on Saturday doing 5 dives - 1 being a night dive, with mandatory 2 hour surface intervals. Everyone had a great time and no one had to be picked up. People claimed to have seen the following while on the West Bank:
Black Tip, several Silkys, quite a few morays, some free swimming, lots of Ocean Triggers, Puffers, a turtle, and the normal smaller stuff. On my dives there, 2 of them, I saw a 9 to 10 foot Nurse Shark, on both dives, 2 sting rays, 3 Silkys, schools and schools of Amber Jacks and more.

After the night dive, we picked the boat up and headed to the East Bank. We did 2 dives on the East Bank. Everyone seemed to like the East Bank better even though it was a tad bit shallower. We got on buoy #4, again my call due to it being my favorite -- I like the BIG sand patches there on #4. Nothing really spectacular there but a couple of sharks (no one knew what kind they were) and a Southern StingRay. Lots of marine life to keep everyones interest. Water temp on the East Bank was pretty much like the West Bank, 85 to 86 degrees but with a small thermocline at about 50 feet which subsided at about 55 feet. Current was pretty much non-existant and the visibility about 100+.

After the 2 dives, we decided NOT to do a deep water platform as the seas had picked up somewhat. Captain Bruce, the DM's, and the 2 trip leaders made a decision to go ahead and head over to Stetson for the remainder of the trip. Sunday we were to dive only 4 dives with a mandatory 3 hour surface interval, so the ride over to Stetson took up most of the surface interval. When we got to Stetson, the wind had picked up but it was opposite of the current which made for an intersting boat set up. I jumped the line and fought the current to get the side-line hooked to the mooring. Once accomplished, I headed to the bottom to get the vitals -- conditions, temp, vis, current, location of the wall, and anything of interest. Once I got to about 40 feet, the current was completely gone. The visibility was only about 60 feet but the temp was 84 degrees. Lots and lots of activity and was looking forward to getting my dive in. Came up, did the briefing and told the customers that this was Stetson at its best. Get acclomated (sp) on this dive as they were in for a real treat on their next dive, something that doesn't happen very often - Diving Stetson at NIGHT....

After the divers started coming up, all I saw were BIG EYES and BIGGER GRINS....several commented why we just didn't come to Stetson for the WHOLE 3 days....lol. We eneded up doing aa pre-dusk dive, a night dive at Stetson on Sunday and then 2 more dives on Monday. Everyones favorite dives out of the whole trip were 'Hands Down' the Stetson Night Dive.

All in all, it was a great trip, great conditions, and a great and fun group of people. This coming weekend should be even better and the crew is already looking forward to SingleDivers.com invading the Gulf of Mexico.

-ZD
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#464 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:54 AM

Great report, ZD!!

we only have a few more days to wait and then, the invasion begins!

#465 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 05 July 2005 - 11:53 AM

Thanks for the report ZD. I am getting really pysched up.

I need to know where and how I am going to find my ride Friday. I have not been to IAH before. I myself will be wearing a bright red hawaiian shirt.

Keith

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users