• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

CUBA 2024 Flight and Land options planning topic

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 21 December 2023 - 07:33 PM

PLANNING OUR FLIGHTS, LAND OPTIONS, ETC

Its time to start planning flights, land options etc. We are capturing your feedback in THIS topic until we know what our final options will be. Thank you,

WHO'S DOING WHAT PRE/POST AND FLYING INTO AND OUT OF WHERE:

HAV pre trip 3 day pkg estimated $1500-$1700 Jul 28... unlimited spots:

1. Kamala aka WreckWench
  2. Ed aka Diver Ed
  3. Marvin aka Marvo
  4. Sharon aka CherryNYC
  5. Diane aka Letsdive07
  6. Scott aka noshirtnoshoes
  7.  Dave aka Scuba Dave
  8. Maureen aka Stixmiller
  9. Greg aka Pickin Gregster
  10. Emi aka UnderseaFan
  11. Lori aka DiverLori
  12. Kim aka seabird
  13. Barbara aka Quiltingdive
  14. Ash aka Cheetah
  15. Debra aka Deb4diving
  16. Letitia aka ScubaMom

HAV post trip humanitarian pkg estimated $600-$800 (hopefully less) limited to 10 max due to some couples willing to share a bed otherwise only 6-8:

1. Kamala aka WreckWench
  2. Ed aka Diver Ed
  3. Diane aka Letsdive07
  4. Scott aka noshirtnoshoes
  5. Maureen aka Stixmiller
  6. Greg aka Pickin Gregster
  7. Emi aka UnderseaFan
  8. Lori aka DiverLori
  9. Barbara aka Quiltingdive
  10. Ash aka Cheetah

FULL

CMW 1 day before the trip

1. Maryann aka MantaMaryann
  2. Henry aka PiscesTX
  3. Sandy aka SandyBeaches

CMW arriving the day of the trip (NOT RECOMMENDED)

MASTER AIR BOOKED FROM WHERE AND HOW... we will update the receipt in the next few days:

NOTE: ANYTHING IN PURPLE MEANS WE NEED FEEDBACK FROM YOU.

1. Kamala aka WreckWench - group air from MIA to HAV on Aug 28 and group air HAV to MIA on Sept 12 - COPY rec'd by TRIPS@SINGLEDIVERS.COM
  2. Ed aka Diver Ed - group air from MIA to HAV on Aug 28 and HAV to MIA Sept 12 -
  3. Marvin aka Marvo - Group air from MIA to HAV on Aug 28 and out of CMW Sept 7 (only one flight departing)
  4. Sharon aka CherryNYC - group air from MIA to HAV on Aug 28 and out of CMW Sept 7 (only one flight departing)
  5. Diane aka Letsdive07 - group air from MIA to HAV on Aug 28 and group air HAV to MIA on Sept 12
  6. Scott aka noshirtnoshoes  - group air from MIA to HAV on Aug 28 and group air HAV to MIA on Sept 12
  7. Dave aka Scuba Dave - group air from MIA to HAV on Aug 28 and out of CMW Sept 7 (only one flight departing)
  8. Maureen aka Stixmiller - group air from MIA to HAV on Aug 28 and group air HAV to MIA on Sept 12
  9.  Greg aka Pickin Gregster - group air from MIA to HAV on Aug 28 and group air HAV to MIA on Sept 12
  10. Emi aka UnderseaFan-  group air from MIA to HAV on Aug 28 and group air HAV to MIA on Sept 12
  11. Lori aka DiverLori -group air from MIA to HAV on Aug 28 and group air HAV to MIA on Sept 12
  12. Maryann aka MantaMaryann - fly into CMW the day before and out of CMW Sept 7 (only one flight departing)
  13.  Kim aka seabird - group air from MIA to HAV on Aug 28 and group and only flight CMW to MIA Sep 7
  14. Henry aka PiscesTX - into CMW Aug 30 and out of CMW Sep 7
  15. Sandy aka SandyBeaches - into CMW Aug 30 and out of CMW Sep 7
  16. Barbara aka Quiltingdive - group air from MIA to HAV on Aug 28 and group air HAV to MIA on Sept 12 ASSUMING NO ISSUES WITH ASH'S Entry into Cuba
  17. Ash aka Cheetah - group air from MIA to HAV on Aug 28 and group air HAV to MIA on Sept 12 ASSUMING NO ISSUES WITH ASH'S Entry into Cuba
  18. Debra aka Deb4diving - group air from MIA to HAV on Aug 28 and group and only flight CMW to MIA Sep 7
  19. Letitia aka ScubaMom - group air from MIA to HAV on Aug 28 and group and only flight CMW to MIA Sep 7

FLYING INTO HAV AUG 28:

1. Kamala aka WreckWench
  2. Ed aka Diver Ed
  3. Marvin aka Marvo
  4. Sharon aka CherryNYC
  5. Diane aka Letsdive07
  6. Scott aka noshirtnoshoes
  7.  Dave aka Scuba Dave
  8. Maureen aka Stixmiller
  9. Greg aka Pickin Gregster
  10. Emi aka UnderseaFan
  11. Lori aka DiverLori
  12. Kim aka seabird
  13. Barbara aka Quiltingdive
  14. Ash aka Cheetah
  15. Debra aka Deb4diving
  16. Letitia aka ScubaMom

FLYING INTO CMW AUG 30:

2. Henry aka PiscesTX

FLYING INTO CMW AUG 31 (not recommended)

1.  No one so far

FLYING OUT OF CMW  SEP 7

2. Henry aka PiscesTX
  4. Marvin aka Marvo
  5. Sharon aka CherryNYC
  6. Kim aka seabird
  7. Debbie aka deb4diving
  8. Letitia aka ScubaMom
  9. Dave aka Scuba Dave

FLYING OUT OF HAV SEP 7

1. No one so far

FLYING OUT OF HAV SEP 8

1.  No one so far

FLYING OUT OF HAV SEP 12

1. Kamala aka WreckWench
  2. Ed aka Diver Ed
  3. Diane aka Letsdive07
  4. Scott aka noshirtnoshoes
  5. Maureen aka Stixmiller
  6. Greg aka Pickin Gregster
  7. Emi aka UnderseaFan
  8. Lori aka DiverLori
  9. Barbara aka Quiltingdive
  10. Ash aka Cheetah

Edited by WreckWench, 01 April 2024 - 04:43 PM.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 22 December 2023 - 04:23 AM

The 2023 Cuba trip was a once in a lifetime all around amazing trip, and I cant wait to make it a twice in a lifetime trip.  

I plan to fly through Miami with the group.

I plan to do the pre trip tour.  What was set up for the 2023 trip was wonderful, and I am happy to repeat that.  I am also happy if there is a different itinerary.  I guess I am just happy to be returning to Cuba, so which ever option is selected, I am happy with it.

I would love to do the post trip tour as well, so I plan to fly in and out of HAV.

Ed

#3 MantaMaryann

MantaMaryann

Getting started

• Premier Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 22 December 2023 - 10:38 AM

Unfortunately, I have very limited vacation and most likely cannot do any additional days.  

If the group is not doing pre-trip, I will fly through Miami with everyone to Havana.  If everyone else is doing a pre-trip, I will try to fly from Miami into a closer airport.

Thanks for all the organization--I know this trip is extra work.

Maryann

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 02:59 PM

Unfortunately, I have very limited vacation and most likely cannot do any additional days.  

If the group is not doing pre-trip, I will fly through Miami with everyone to Havana.  If everyone else is doing a pre-trip, I will try to fly from Miami into a closer airport.

Thanks for all the organization--I know this trip is extra work.

Maryann

So you want to fly to CMW directly 1 day prior to save vacation time?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#5 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 22 December 2023 - 05:19 PM

The following is the email summary from the Trips Inbox, and those who replied to the email directly. :diver:

================================================================
Kamala aka WreckWench

- Please let us know if you plan to do the group flight via MIA or if you plan to do the adventure on your own?

- If on your own please let us know the carrier you'll be flying and the city you will originate from.

-  ALSO LET US KNOW your thoughts on the tours. Do you want our 'tried and true' already approved tour we did in 2023 for $1700-$1800 or do you want us to finish up the approval process for a new approved and legal tour with different options and coming in around $1400-$1500 ... and hopefully less but inflation has hit Cuba very hard.

- Let us know if you plan to fly into CMW and out of CMW, into HAV and out of CMW or into HAV and out of HAV.  (We know this may change but we want to know what your plan is now)

- Oh and if you want to do the 'humanitarian' trip after the boat where we 'rough it in Cuba for 3-4 additional days with a private family' estimated to cost about $600-800 but limited to 6-8 people max willing to rough it to experience Cuba more like the locals.
Marvin aka marvo
1.  I am very interested in the option for group travel from Miami for the reasons stated.
 - I am open to return flight from CMW. I don't have prior opinions on best way.
 - I am very happy to go with the recommended flow.
 - Yes I want group travel as much as possible and to stay with the group.
2.  I expect to fly to Miami on American Airlines from either Orlando FL or Melbourne FL.
3.  I am interested in the land tour prior to diving.
 - The new tour you are developing sounds very interesting.
 - I trust your excellent professional judgment either way.
4.  What does 'roughing it' mean?
 - I am guessing with vacation time constraints I would not do the after-boat roughing it activity.
Sharon aka CherryNYC
Since this is the first time for me in Cuba, I prefer to travel with the group all the way, including land tour.  Also, need to keep expenses to a minimum if possible by opting for the less expensive tour option ($1400-$1500).  I will book my R/T flights from NY to Miami to coincide with the group.
Note:  Kamala, looks like I will need a roommate.
Ed aka Diver Ed
I plan to do the group flight out of Miami.  
I plan to do the pre trip activities, and am happy with either a repeat of the last trip or the new itinerary. Whichever to consensus is, or whichever is easier on your end.  
I plan to fly in and out of HAV.
I plan to do the post trip add on, if I am invited to join the small group.
Diane aka Letsdive07 and Scott aka noshirtnoshoes
1. We will fly to Miami and go with the group flight to and from Miami into Havana.
If I understand correctly this includes a few days before the boat to spend in Havana. This is the 6-8 hour transfer to the boat.
2.  We think you should finish creating the new program
3.  We want to do the "humanitarian"  trip after the boat.  Kamala, will you remain with this group?  Then we will fly home as a group to Miami??
David aka Scuba Dave
I'll be doing the Group Flight out of Miami - Sounds like the easiest way to do this trip  
I also will be doing the pre-Dive Educational, Culture program and Vote for the 'Tried & True' land tour
Flying back to the states I choose   CMW to MIA  (but will do what ever the group decides or needs.
Maureen aka Stixmiller and Greg aka Pickin Gregster
1) We plan to join the group flight via MIA.
2) We prefer the "tried and true" already approved tour as in 2023. but are also agreeable with "new and approved" tour if the only option.
3) We don't have a preference for HAV or CMW. Whatever the group decides is fine.
4) We are interested in the "humanitarian" trip after the boat.

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#6 DiverLori

DiverLori

Getting started

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Cert Level:Retired MSDT and Full Cave
  • Logged Dives:Lost count!

Posted 28 December 2023 - 11:22 AM

I would prefer to stick with the group starting in Miami, outbound and inbound. As to adding on the Havana Experience, how many days does that add to the overall trip, and what is the max total with dates?  Approximate is fine, a day +/- in the estimate.  I took off two weeks this past May to go to Israel, so my manager/job is flexible. 

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 11:37 AM

I would prefer to stick with the group starting in Miami, outbound and inbound. As to adding on the Havana Experience, how many days does that add to the overall trip, and what is the max total with dates?  Approximate is fine, a day +/- in the estimate.  I took off two weeks this past May to go to Israel, so my manager/job is flexible. 

The pre is 3 nights 2.5 days.

The post is 4 nights and limited to 7-8 max depending on if someone does a private room and/or a room is too small to put 2 people into it.

So if doing both then it would be another week on top of the week long boat.

formerly...

#8 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 06:42 PM

Latest email response, all others have been documented earlier in this topic:

Emi aka UnderseaFan

I am interested in Group flight
I don't really care HAV or CMV, so long as I have enough time to plan
Tours- I'm game for whatever. I can do tried and true, but also something new. I can roll with it. 
YES- I wanna do the humanitarian visit. I can rough it. 
I'm hoping to be one of your easier guests to accommodate. I just need to know the basic plan.

Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#9 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 02:34 PM

Lori aka DiverLori
I wish to be considered for the back-end post trip, but must clear it with work first. I will not be able to
do that until later next week at the earliest.
As to land tour preferences, I am wide open to what the group wants to do. I don't have the bandwidth to do
any research independent of what has been provided, so I'm flexible.  

Maryann aka MantaMaryann
I might want to do the post trip 3-4 days.  I need to figure out if I can get the days off.

#10 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 07:40 AM

On 2024-01-01 20:36, Kim aka seabird wrote:

• YES will do group flight via MIA
  • I do want to do the few days in Havana prior to the boat.  Since I am not familiar with what y'all did in 2023 compared with the second itinerary, it's hard to pick one.  Saving money is always great, but it's expensive either way so I vote for the best itinerary.
  • I plan to fly into HAV and out of CMW.
  • It sounds like a great experience, but I will not do the days in Cuba following the liveaboard.

#11 CherryNYC

CherryNYC

Getting started

• Premier Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:168

Posted 10 January 2024 - 10:37 AM

Hello Fellow Cuban Travelers! 

I got the latest from Kamala this morning, (thank you!).   I am definitely onboard for the pre land tour.  Just need to know which flights I need to book myself to coordinate with the group for the pretour and boat portions. Does Kamala book these for me or do I book them also?  I understand I need to book my own connecting flights to/from NY to Miami.  Looking forward to this trip!

Sharon

#12 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 11 January 2024 - 06:43 AM

Hello Sharon,

Kamala is currently in Raja on another trip, so will not be able to reply for a while.  Hopefully this helps.  Below is a copy of the group flights for those doing both the pre and post portions on the Cuba trip.  What most people will do is to book their flights to Havana and make sure that the Miami to Havana leg is AA252.  It is posted as AA229, but the flight number must have just been changed, as I am booked on AA252 and my departure time is at 1:29.  Give yourself enough time in Miami to get the visa at the kiosk while there.  I think my flight into Miami arrives about 5 hours early.  Kamala can book your Mia to Hav flight for you, but it is easier for you to book the whole ticket yourself when booking your NY to MIA flight.  As for the return flight, I do not see you on the list for the post trip portion, so you will decide if you are flying home through HAV or CMW, as well as deciding if you are flying home Sept 7 or 8.  Ed

If going into HAV early for the 3 day pre-tour and staying for the 4 day post tour:

• On Wed Aug 28, 2024   FLIGHT AA229 at 1:29 from MIA to HAV

You are welcome to travel with me. We had NO issues last year on the group flight. Others had issues when they flew by themselves.

• On Thurs Sept 12, 2024  FLIGHT AA1334 at 11:45 arriving MIA 12:57 (be sure to allow 2.5-3 hrs OR MORE before your flights home.)

If doing the post tour we recommend this flight due to experience, less air travel volumes, less airport traffic etc.

#13 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 08:42 AM

I got the latest from Kamala this morning, (thank you!).   I am definitely onboard for the pre land tour.  Just need to know which flights I need to book myself to coordinate with the group for the pretour and boat portions. Does Kamala book these for me or do I book them also?  I understand I need to book my own connecting flights to/from NY to Miami.  Looking forward to this trip!

Sharon

Sharon, Ed aka Diver Ed answered your questions here in the topic:
=================================================================

Hello Sharon,

Kamala is currently in Raja on another trip, so will not be able to reply for a while.  Hopefully this helps.  Below is a copy of the group flights for those doing both the pre and post portions on the Cuba trip.  What most people will do is to book their flights to Havana and make sure that the Miami to Havana leg is AA252.  It is posted as AA229, but the flight number must have just been changed, as I am booked on AA252 and my departure time is at 1:29.  Give yourself enough time in Miami to get the visa at the kiosk while there.  I think my flight into Miami arrives about 5 hours early.  Kamala can book your Mia to Hav flight for you, but it is easier for you to book the whole ticket yourself when booking your NY to MIA flight.  As for the return flight, I do not see you on the list for the post trip portion, so you will decide if you are flying home through HAV or CMW, as well as deciding if you are flying home Sept 7 or 8.  Ed

If going into HAV early for the 3 day pre-tour and staying for the 4 day post tour:

You are welcome to travel with me. We had NO issues last year on the group flight. Others had issues when they flew by themselves.

• On Thurs Sept 12, 2024  FLIGHT AA1334 at 11:45 arriving MIA 12:57 (be sure to allow 2.5-3 hrs OR MORE before your flights home.)

If doing the post tour we recommend this flight due to experience, less air travel volumes, less airport traffic etc.

#14 DiverLori

DiverLori

Getting started

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 08:11 AM

I will try to give these parameters a looksee on my AMEX travel site this evening.  FIngers crossed!! 

Sharon

Sharon, Ed aka Diver Ed answered your questions here in the topic:

Hello Sharon,

#15 DiverLori

DiverLori

Getting started

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 05:42 PM

My flights are booked.....outbound 8/28; inbound 9/12.  It's getting real!

• dive_sail_etc likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users