• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Neptuner

Neptuner

I spend too much time on line

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 07 February 2005 - 07:53 PM

Rich, I can see your point totally, but I have to side with Genesis on this one... I've been to Durango many times and it ain't no crime capital of the west. I agree that we know little if any of the true fact of the case, but usually... it's a stretch here I realize... but usually a few of the specifics are correct.

If we assume only that the girls did in fact leave cookies... thet they weren't laced with PCP or arsenic... or cookies disguised as a burning bag of dog crap, then the contents of the "donation" appear to be harmless. If we also assume that the same incident really occurred at nine other locations, without incident, then 90% of the people "got" the essence of the gesture. I have no doubt that the woman was truly frightened (for whatever the reason), but to persist with a suit against two teenage girls after discovering their true intentions? Sounds like another fast way to make a buck to me. Let's face it, it's the American dream these days... sue your way to a better life.

I would suspect that the parents of these two girls are probably in the upper income of their neighborhood and the donations were given to those less fortunate, but again, it's purely conjecture. It would explain why she wanted punitive damages though. C'mon... this is like the lady who "didn't realize the coffee was so hot". What, like we all go out and TRY to find cold joe for sale!?!?

Jex, I have no doubt your link is truly edifying, but the entire concept of lawyers and their ridiculous lawsuits these days simply makes me livid... I fear if I follow your link I may never return.

Yeah I know... no great loss. :teeth:

Edited by Neptuner, 07 February 2005 - 07:53 PM.

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#17 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 07 February 2005 - 08:06 PM

Give me a break.

This "neighborhood" is a piece of rural America. Its NOT a busy city where the odds of being raped if you go out at night alone (whether male or female!) approach 100%.

You are at greater risk of stepping in a cowpie there than anything else.

This lady is a transplant and one of those people who deserve what they get. IMHO what she deserves is for every shopkeeper, every businessperson, every other individual in that town to refuse to have anything to do with her.

Even worse, her husband has been calling these kids' parents and threatening them, to the point the parents had to go get a restraining order!

Maybe she'll figure it out when she can't buy groceries, gasoline, or get her car fixed for 100 miles in any direction. THAT is what she deserves.

Were I a businesowner in that town, there'd be a sign at the door warning her that if she steps foot on my property I'd have her arrested for trespassing.

And yes, I mean it.

These kids did absolutely nothing - and I do mean NOTHING - wrong.

Her name is now all over the national media. God help her if she ever shows up somewhere trying to buy something I happen to be selling.

Well, I disagree, the kids DID do something wrong, but innocent, knocking on someone's door that late who was not expecting them and then not identifying themselves. I wouldn't appreciate it either, but I wouldn't have sued them over it and would have taken the matter up with the parents in private. Having made clear to the parents that their kids are welcome, when invited, at reasonable hours, I would have thanked them for the cookies and let it go. This lady is a pea-brained witch and her husband a spineless wonder.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#18 Genesis

Genesis

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Cert Level:Caveish
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 07 February 2005 - 09:09 PM

Look, the girls only rang the bell at the houses where the lights were on. At the other homes they just left the cookies silently on the porch.

I think what they did was sweet and what that namby-pamby n'er good did deserves a good shunning - from everyone in the community.

As I said, God help her if she worked for me or I owned a store in that town. If she was my employee I'd fire her on the spot - for being a pain in the butt.

That's still legal everywhere in the US.

The people of Durango should make this the most expensive $900 she ever made.

#19 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 07 February 2005 - 11:10 PM

Look, the girls only rang the bell at the houses where the lights were on.  At the other homes they just left the cookies silently on the porch.

I think what they did was sweet and what that namby-pamby n'er good did deserves a good shunning - from everyone in the community.

As I said, God help her if she worked for me or I owned a store in that town.  If she was my employee I'd fire her on the spot - for being a pain in the butt. 

Neither article says anything about lights being on. The only mention pertaining to visibility is in the follow-up article:

"Young said she heard someone banging on the door of her rural home late in the evening. She went to the door and saw "shadowy figures" but they refused to answer when she called out to them."

Even if the lights were on, it doesn't matter. The lights in our home are on late at night also, my roommate is often up very late. That doesn't mean it's open house. If "shadowy figures" who didn't identify themselves showed up on my doorstep at 10:30pm, (or any other time for that matter) I would be a little upset also. No matter what the intent, it's rude at best.

I don't want to be in a position of defending this lady, but she is partly in the right. It was the way she and her husband handled it that was wrong and vindictive. One has a right to be secure in their own home. There are some people who don't like anybody they did not invite knocking on their door, (our house is one of them) and they're well within their rights.

Other thing to keep in mind is we don't know all the facts. We all know newspapers aren't above leaving out certain things so that a story sounds more "sensational" or fits a template.

Edited by Brinybay, 07 February 2005 - 11:25 PM.

"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#20 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,725 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 February 2005 - 11:37 PM

Yeah I know... no great loss.

Not true! Who'd play our awesome new SD song? :teeth:

But alas I regress...as for the story...I agree with Brinybay and others...the girls should have identified themselves but the punishment does not fit the crime. One of our members is now living in Durango...I'll see if the locals have a better sense of what really happened! LOL!!! -ww

Of course Neptuner lives somewhere in CO...so that makes him a bit more of a local then most of us! LOL!!!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#21 Genesis

Genesis

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Cert Level:Caveish
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:16 AM

Look, the girls only rang the bell at the houses where the lights were on.  At the other homes they just left the cookies silently on the porch.

As I said, God help her if she worked for me or I owned a store in that town.  If she was my employee I'd fire her on the spot - for being a pain in the butt. 

Neither article says anything about lights being on. The only mention pertaining to visibility is in the follow-up article:

"Young said she heard someone banging on the door of her rural home late in the evening. She went to the door and saw "shadowy figures" but they refused to answer when she called out to them."

Even if the lights were on, it doesn't matter. The lights in our home are on late at night also, my roommate is often up very late. That doesn't mean it's open house. If "shadowy figures" who didn't identify themselves showed up on my doorstep at 10:30pm, (or any other time for that matter) I would be a little upset also. No matter what the intent, it's rude at best.

I don't want to be in a position of defending this lady, but she is partly in the right. It was the way she and her husband handled it that was wrong and vindictive. One has a right to be secure in their own home. There are some people who don't like anybody they did not invite knocking on their door, (our house is one of them) and they're well within their rights.

Other thing to keep in mind is we don't know all the facts. We all know newspapers aren't above leaving out certain things so that a story sounds more "sensational" or fits a template.

There has been a LOT of follow-up on this in the national media. Boortz has taken this ball and run with it, including doing quite a bit of his own investigation.

He's not alone in this either.

As for being "secure in your home", yes, you do that have right. At no time did these girls violate this couple's home. She was not home alone - her husband was there with her. They left a bag of cookies at the door, rang the bell as the light was on, and departed. Yes, they did not answer when barked at - their intent was to anonymously leave cookies for the neighbors. And? If hubby (or her) wants to come to the door with a 12-gauge at the ready, so be it. This was not the only house where cookies were left - there were several other homes, including one who was interviewed on the air yesterday. They saw nothing wrong with it and neither do I.

The girls would have been gone (how long does it take to put a bag of cookies on the porch?) and he would have found (and likely did find)..... a gift of warm, home-baked cookies. With a note - obviously - otherwise how would they have been identified?

Next, even if she was freaked out at the moment (possible but unlikely) you're telling me that after discovering the cookies the next day she is still having an anxiety attack? To the point that she has to go to the hospital to the tune of $900? After she found cookies on the porch?

I don't believe a word of it.

What I believe is that this couple is a vindictive pair of people-hating hermits who decided to mess with these kids and cooked up (pun intended) the anxiety attack. Then, having been stung by the size of the bill for her stupidity, she decided to "get those kids" for "prodding her into it", and sued. Suing them is so far over the top its not funny. The girls apologized - by phone, which the couple claimed 'rang hollow'. Well gee, how "hollow" has her husband's reality been, given that he's been driven to harassment to the point that there is now a restraining order out against him by the kid's Dad? Do you think the kids should have apologized in person, given that hubby has been incessantly harassing their family? I don't.

Again I say that if they hate people, that's fine. We'll see how long they can survive without any food, gasoline, clothing or anything else they'd like to buy from me were I shopkeeper in that town, and were either of them employed by me they'd be walking the unemployment line the next morning.

I consider what they did to these girls an assault and, while legal for them to sue, its also legal for me to decide I want nothing to do with either of them.

#22 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 08 February 2005 - 09:07 AM

Well, I can't see where the girls did anything wrong, I'm sure I don't have all the facts, but it appears the girls were trying to do a good deed and IMHO, they succeeded. If they were my children, I'd be proud of them.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#23 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:100?

Posted 08 February 2005 - 09:10 AM

Burglers always knock, and then leave without entering.

The part that bothered me, in the followup, was that the woman's husband was making harrassing calls to the father of one of the girls. Obviously, these aren't stable people. The community knows all the facts, and the community was behind the girls, soo.....

#24 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 08 February 2005 - 01:48 PM

Don't you guys have a "he needed killin'" law there in Texas to cover this sort of thing?
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#25 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 08 February 2005 - 02:01 PM

ROTFLMAO!
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#26 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,725 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 08 February 2005 - 02:12 PM

Don't you guys have a "he needed killin'" law there in Texas to cover this sort of thing?

I think so...if not...I'll suggest it cuz we need it! :teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#27 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:100?

Posted 08 February 2005 - 03:08 PM

We do, but it falls under jury nolification. You still have to go through the bother of the trial.

Unless, of course, the sheriff thinks the guy needed killin', and then the case is unsolved.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users