• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Night Diving question

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 17 February 2005 - 01:20 PM

In fact, one of the best dives I've ever done in my life was with Kamala at the Salt Pier in Bonaire at night.  The moonlight was so bright I did the vast majority of the dive with no artificial light at all!

Yeah, yeah. It was one of your best dives because you were with Kamala. It didn't have anything to do with the damn light. Just admit it. :welcome:

I can neither confirm nor deny that rumor.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#17 randy54

randy54

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 17 February 2005 - 02:57 PM

The short answer is that you should never lose all your lights, because at least one should be fixed to your BCD/harness.

Having logged most of my dives in the murky waters of Puget Sound..(Think 10-20 vis = a good day).
The #1 rule here is ALWAYS HAVE A BACK UP!!! (2 lights,2 knives.....spare air)
This means you enter the water equipment heavy...but if things get ugly you are usually prepared..
I have never lost up.. I have been told it can happen. I would also agree with Walter, a good breath will help direct you up.

My second dive was with someone who blew an eardrum. He deffinately lost UP. course he also lost down, left, right, sideways, and anything that resembled a direction. Not to make light of it, as it was a serious situation.

The only reason I've heard to use tank lights was to tell who was who. Different colored lights and type for each diver or buddy pair.
You may not be able to smell the roses underwater, but you can sea horses.

#18 maninthesea

maninthesea

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Cert Level:Trimix and Rebreather also Padi Inst and TDI Inst Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Quit that long ago-Nothing left to prove

Posted 17 February 2005 - 05:16 PM

All the comments above are good.
I would like to offer another suggestion as to why your instructor asked the question. He may have just been prompting you to think. If so he has more than succeded. After all the good advise you have recieved I doubt you would be at a loss for what to do. Furthermore with everyone adviseing you to carry backups you probably won't get in the situation anyway. You also may have a light on your dive computer or dive watch. You would be supprised how much you can illuminate with just these.
I have only ever lost UP once and that was in the middle of the day in over 100' vis. I was dropped in the wrong spot and after decending to 150' looking for a pinnicle that topped out at 140' I decided to go back up. All of a sudden every direction I looked was light blue and I felt like I was spinning. I had to look at my bubbles and convince myself that they were really going up and were not spinning around in circles. I shot a bag and it was all good.

Have fun on your night dives. You should be surprised at the completly differnt set of critters you encounter.
Cheers Jim
Tip of the day- Never suck on a loaded gun!

#19 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 17 February 2005 - 05:45 PM

Blue water diving is different.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#20 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 17 February 2005 - 07:39 PM

British divers, used to a few feet of visibility, have been known to suffer from vertigo the first time they dive the Red Sea, where perfect visibility can sometimes extend 300' down.

#21 Marion1336

Marion1336

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:43

Posted 17 February 2005 - 08:17 PM

In fact, one of the best dives I've ever done in my life was with Kamala at the Salt Pier in Bonaire at night.  The moonlight was so bright I did the vast majority of the dive with no artificial light at all!

Yeah, yeah. It was one of your best dives because you were with Kamala. It didn't have anything to do with the damn light. Just admit it. :welcome:

That's right, it wasn't the moonlight, it was her RADIANT beauty! :teeth:
To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.
-David Viscott

#22 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:24 PM

Reiteration of other points. You are talking about something that will never happen just by carrying sufficient backups.

However, for the sake of the scenario stated (and assuming no additional lighting), I will add the following. I don't know every brand of gauge out there. However, most of them have luminscence as a built in function even if they don't have a powered lighting feature. Make sure to shine your light on them prior to entering the water and they will glow for hours. If there is even a complete absence of light, you will still be able to read your gauges.

I have yet another cure for this problem but you may not: my gauge has a backlight feature that is activated by pushing a button and holding it for a few seconds. Saves the battery when not needed and is there if and when you do. Suunto D3 strikes again. :welcome:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#23 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:21 AM

Make sure to shine your light on them prior to entering the water and they will glow for hours.

I have faulty guages, mine glow for seconds.

DSSW,

WWW™

#24 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 18 February 2005 - 07:33 AM

Yeah, yeah. It was one of your best dives because you were with Kamala. It didn't have anything to do with the damn light. Just admit it. :P

That's right, it wasn't the moonlight, it was her RADIANT beauty! :)

Thank you all! Ya just made my day! :anna: But in all fairness the diver was great!!! Er...I mean the DIVE was great!!! And we rarely used our lights...it was beautiful! :welcome:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#25 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 18 February 2005 - 12:12 PM

Ok, so last night was the pool session and I asked him about his question and told him about some of the suggestions that you guys made. He said, yes it was to make us think (which I was glad to hear). He also had the idea of putting just a little water in your mask that would tell you as well.

BTW, just a general comment about pool sessions. They are fine for testing stuff out, but I have to say that I hate them. Mostly becuase you have to many people in to little space.

Scott

:lam:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#26 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 01:26 PM

If you can't see your bubbles, you won't be able to see the water in your mask either. As for feeling it, I can't feel water in my mask unless it's one drop running slowing down my face. I hate that! Off the mask comes - ah relief.

DSSW,

WWW™

#27 JohnnyC

JohnnyC

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver- did most of my diving on Okinawa
  • Logged Dives:67

Posted 19 February 2005 - 02:57 PM

Hey everyone!

Well way back in my military days I was taught to "listen to my ears". You're only gonna go so far and then you have to equalize if you're going down. Night diving by the way is one of my favorite activities. Especially underwater night navigation....read by my compass only. I love to night dive just because you see things you would normally miss during the day when you can see more than a 10 foot circle. Anyway the breath thing is a good idea too. Oh well thats my recommendation.

Absent minded ramblings,

Johnny
The road goes on forever and the party never ends!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users