• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

TAPS...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 February 2005 - 04:09 PM

TAPS

If any of you have ever been to a military funeral in which taps were played, this brings out a new meaning of it.

Here is something every American should know. Until I read this, I didn't know, but I checked it out and it's true:

We in the United States have all heard the haunting song, "Taps". It's the song that gives us that lump in our throats and usually tears in our eyes.

But, do you know the story behind the song? If not, I think you will be interested to find out about its humble beginnings.

Reportedly, it all began in 1862 during the Civil War, when Union Army Captain Robert Ellicombe was with his men near Harrison's Landing in Virginia. The Confederate Army was on the other side of the narrow strip of land.

During the night, Captain Ellicombe heard the moans of a soldier who lay severely wounded on the field. Not knowing if it was a Union or Confederate soldier, the Captain decided to risk his life and bring the stricken man back for medical attention. Crawling on his stomach through the gunfire, the Captain reached the stricken soldier and began pulling him toward his encampment.

When the Captain finally reached his own lines, he discovered it was actually a Confederate soldier, but the soldier was dead.

The Captain lit a lantern and suddenly caught his breath and went numb with shock. In the dim light, he saw the face of the soldier. It was his own son. The boy had been studying music in the South when the war broke out. Without telling his father, the boy enlisted in the Confederate Army.

The following morning, heartbroken, the father asked permission of his superiors to give his son a full military burial, despite his enemy status. His request was only partially granted.

The Captain had asked if he could have a group of Army band members play a funeral dirge for his son at the funeral.

The request was turned down since the soldier was a Confederate.

But, out of respect for the father, they did say they could give him only one musician.

The Captain chose a bugler. He asked the bugler to play a series of musical notes he had found on a piece of paper in the pocket of the dead youth's uniform.

This wish was granted.

The haunting melody, we now know as "Taps"... used at military funerals was born.

The words are:

Day is done.. Gone the sun.

From the lakes. From the hills. From the sky.

All is well. Safely rest. God is nigh.

Fading light. Dims the sight.

And a star. Gems the sky. Gleaming bright.

From afar. Drawing nigh. Falls the night.

Thanks and praise. For our days.

Neath the sun. Neath the stars. Neath the sky.

As we go. This we know. God is nigh.

I, too, have felt the chills while listening to "Taps" but I have never seen all the words to the song until now. I didn't even know there was more than one verse. I also never knew the story behind the song and I didn't know if you had either so I thought I'd pass it along.

I now have an even deeper respect for the song than I did before...especially as it was played at my father's funeral.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 05 March 2005 - 11:46 AM

I, too, have felt the chills while listening to "Taps" but I have never seen all the words to the song until now. I didn't even know there was more than one verse. I also never knew the story behind the song and I didn't know if you had either so I thought I'd pass it along.

I now have an even deeper respect for the song than I did before...especially as it was played at my father's funeral.

Kamala, I did not know this either so thanks for passing it along. I don't know if I ever mentioned it here but my father served in the Air Force for 20 years and fought in two wars. When he passed away in '86, he was given a full military service complete with a honor guard, the 21-gun salute, and the playing of "Taps". It was very haunting, you could hear a pin drop. The flag-folding was very touching, each fold of the flag was done slowly and meticulously.

Once again, thanks for sharing this ...
-Mitch-

#3 drdiver

drdiver

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 05 March 2005 - 12:41 PM

Had never heard the story of Taps. Seeing the words again brought back my Scouting days. Thanks for sharing!!!!
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#4 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 05 March 2005 - 10:09 PM

TAPS

The words are:

Day is done.. Gone the sun.

From the lakes. From the hills. From the sky.

All is well. Safely rest. God is nigh.

Fading light. Dims the sight.

And a star. Gems the sky. Gleaming bright.

From afar. Drawing nigh. Falls the night.

Thanks and praise. For our days.

Neath the sun. Neath the stars. Neath the sky.

As we go. This we know. God is nigh.

Hi Kamala... That is beautiful. We used to sing Taps when I was in Boy Scouts, although we didn't sing the entire song. How wonderful, God is nigh! Did your dad serve in the military? Thanks for sharing what you learned about "Taps".

ITB
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#5 randy54

randy54

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 07 March 2005 - 02:14 PM

Sorry WW, but the debunkers say the story is a nice piece of fiction. Google seachers for simular stories as this: http://www.iowa3rdca...y.com/taps.html
You may not be able to smell the roses underwater, but you can sea horses.

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 March 2005 - 03:00 PM

Either way it is a compelling story. And even more so are the men and women for which it is played.

The REAL STORY of TAPS...
This was sent to me today (5-5-2001) from the The U.S. Army Military District of Washington (link is dead).

During the Civil War, in July 1862 when the Army of the Potomac was in camp, Brig.
Gen. Daniel Butterfield summoned Pvt. Oliver Wilcox Norton, his brigade bugler, to his
tent. Butterfield, who disliked the colorless "extinguish lights" call then in use, whistled a
new tune and asked the bugler to sound it for him. After repeated trials and changing the
time of some notes which were scribbled on the back of an envelope, the call was finally
arranged to suit Gen. Butterfield and used for the first time that night. Pvt. Norton, who on
several occasions, had sounded numerous new calls composed by his commander,
recalled his experience of the origin of "Taps" years later:

"One day in July 1862 when the Army of the Potomac was in camp at Harrison's Landing
on the James River, Virginia, resting and recruiting from its losses in the seven days of battle before Richmond, Gen.
Butterfield summoned the writer to his tent, and whistling some new tune, asked the bugler to sound it for him. This was
done, not quite to his satisfaction at first, but after repeated trials, changing the time of some of the notes, which were
scribbled on the back of an envelope, the call was finally arranged to suit the general.

"He then ordered that it should be substituted in his brigade for the regulation "Taps" (extinguish lights) which was printed in
the Tactics and used by the

whole army. This was done for the first time that night. The next day buglers from nearby brigades came over to the camp of
Butterfield's brigade to ask the meaning of this new call. They liked it, and copying the music, returned to their camps, but it
was not until some time later, when generals of other commands had heard its melodious notes, that orders were issued, or
permission given, to substitute it throughout the Army of the Potomac for the time-honored call which came down from West
Point.

In the western armies the regulation call was in use until the autumn of 1863. At that time the XI and XII Corps were detached
from the Army of the Potomac and sent under command of Gen. Hooker to reinforce the Union Army at Chattanooga, Tenn.
Through its use in these corps it became known in the western armies and was adopted by them. From that time, it became
and remains to this day the official call for "Taps." It is printed in the present Tactics and is used throughout the U.S. Army,
the National Guard, and all organizations of veteran soldiers.

Gen. Butterfield, in composing this call and directing that it be used for "Taps" in his brigade, could not have foreseen its
popularity and the use for another purpose into which it would grow. Today, whenever a man is buried with military honors
anywhere in the United States, the ceremony is concluded by firing three volleys of musketry over the grave, and sounding
with the trumpet or bugle "Put out the lights. Go to sleep"...There is something singularly beautiful and appropriate in the
music of this wonderful call. Its strains are melancholy, yet full of rest and peace. Its echoes linger in the heart long after its
tones have ceased to vibrate in the air."

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users