• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

PNW Underwater Treasure Hunt - Booth! NEED HELP!

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#166 Brinybay

Brinybay

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:03 AM

l vote for 1st dive doing a drift in the Narrows, then the 2nd dive at Sunrise...any other thoughts or ideas??

With Kamala being new to dry suits and NW diving, a drift dive through the Narrows would not be my first choice. Possesion Point Ferry would be a good one with the low exchange. Sunrise also sounds good.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#167 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:13 AM

Ok. I'm still getting used to my drysuit so doing free ascents and descents are still new for me. Wouldn't want me to get uh...carried away now would we???? :(

After 500+ dives I still prefer having a descent/ascent line when doing boat dives. More so with descents. It helps if you encounter equalizing problems and/or some current to deal with on the way down.

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#168 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,719 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:30 AM

...1st dive doing a drift in the Narrows, then the 2nd dive at Sunrise

Sounds good to me... I've only dove Sunrise once and everyone ended up on the beach or in Canada due to the current.. so a mild one is kewl...
Heheh.. I was the only one to get photos though... :(

My Dive Club, Moss Bay Divers, has a Bandito charter on the same day so he might just combine the two.. He has several boats so who knows.. but they're scheduled for 3 dives... so probably not...

Out by 12 is probably the usual... Another boat, Jeffs - no more, used to run morning and then afternooers.. so it might be the standard now...

Anyway, see you all at the hunt..

I'm not sure on the hunt an HH... times... the Hunt is over around 2pm??? but HH isn't starting until 6pm... I have to be in Seattle by 3-4pm... so whatever works...

lator...

Ok guys...go easy on me...not ready to go in over my head yet...afterall you PNW divers are REALLY hardy...so just go easy on this wws...warm water sissy!

As for the boat op...we have the 10 person boat chartered...and I can find out if you all want to make it a 3 tank dive...seems we can do 3 tank for $10 more a head...works for me!

I'll see if the option is available and then we can see if you all want to do it or not.

And I can go either way but I prefer mooring/anchor lines if diving dry...if diving wet I don't have a preference. -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#169 kevininpo

kevininpo

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:50 AM

Possesion Point Ferry would be a good one with the low exchange.  Sunrise also sounds good.

l seriously doubt that anyone, including Rick, wants to do the 2-3 hour ride to get to the ferry wreck from Tacoma...that is more of a Des Moines or Shilshole departure.
As for doing the drift, drop to 90 feet, grab hands and ride the hiway, and on ascent just follow the bottom up...it sorta takes the guess work outta buoyancy issues...and with the low exchange, it would probably only be about a 1/2 knot current, we could do some exploring as well. l've only had a few chances to be able to stop and look around...theres a lot of stuff when a guy isn't goin by at mach 3 :(
if it ain't broke, fix it till it is
what if the hokey pokey really IS what it's all about?

#170 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:53 AM

I'm cool with either a 2 or 3 tank dive trip. And sites where you have a line is just fine too as it might be stressful working your drysuit without one unless you are used to it. I left a message for Nick letting him know there should be room on the boat. I'll post or pm as soon as I hear from him.

:(
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#171 kevininpo

kevininpo

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 11:21 AM

After 500+ dives I still prefer having a descent/ascent line when doing boat dives.  More so with descents.  It helps if you encounter equalizing problems and/or some current to deal with on the way down.

l guess l'm more of a head-down and kick descent type of guy, so the currents never really are an issue

#172 kevininpo

kevininpo

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 12:18 PM

I'm not sure on the hunt an HH... times... the Hunt is over around 2pm??? but HH isn't starting until 6pm... I have to be in Seattle by 3-4pm... so whatever works...

lator...

Last year they had the snorkel/freedivers in about 11, then the scuba people in about 2...the drawing was at 4 l think, and the thing was wrapped by 5...then again, my memory sux, but this should be pretty dang close

#173 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 26 April 2005 - 02:02 PM

I now have both my DMs (one is an SD member, dive_addict) on board with coming to HH and diving Sunday. WW, I left you a voicemail regarding reserving the available 2 spots on the boat since you said we have 8 signed up and room for 10. We are up for either 2 or 3 tanks, whatever the group prefers.

:2cool: :-D :diver:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#174 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,719 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 02:29 PM

Got your DM's on the boat! Pls have Nick register on the site if you would! :-D

So I still need confirmation from Ron if his friend is joining us...if so the boat is full. If not...we still have one spot!!! :lmao: -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#175 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:59 PM

Nick didn't think Ron's friend was either a diver or planning on diving with us, but Ron will need to clarify.

#176 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:31 PM

As for doing the drift, drop to 90 feet, grab hands and ride the hiway, and on ascent just follow the bottom up...it sorta takes the guess work outta buoyancy issues...and with the low exchange, it would probably only be about a 1/2 knot current, we could do some exploring as well. l've only had a few chances to be able to stop and look around...theres a lot of stuff when a guy isn't goin by at mach 3 :wakawaka:

Ok for you, but keep in mind we have some folks with us who are new to Puget Sound diving and new to dry suits. Drift diving at 90fsw isn't something I would take someone unfamiliar with the diving and their gear on.

#177 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:42 PM

After 500+ dives I still prefer having a descent/ascent line when doing boat dives.  More so with descents.  It helps if you encounter equalizing problems and/or some current to deal with on the way down.

l guess l'm more of a head-down and kick descent type of guy, so the currents never really are an issue

Well, again, fine for you, but we have some guests who are not as familiar with the waters as you are.

#178 CaptainRonPdx

CaptainRonPdx

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Cert Level:TriMix Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:49 PM

Myself and Marlena will be coming up saturday morning for the show and the HH of course, I will be diving on sunday and Marlena is coming along for the ride only. Nick called me today and said he was coming if there was room, so count him in too. (I dont know if y'all want both of us on the same boat, at the same time....could be scary) I love drift diving and did the narrows last weekend on a 2.5 knot or so ebb, but I would not recommend it for the novice's, they tend to fight the current rather than roll with it, I got maytaged behind a gertie chunk and recirculated a couple times, but it was all fun, a newbie drysuit diver would have not liked it at all. Maybe Maury island, which almost never has current and lots of pilings for easy reference on descent, (we used to take open water classes there all the time) and then sunrise cause the initial drop is only 20 feet or so and the reef is an easy 45-60. I would go for the third dive too!! Dalco, Dalco, Dalco, Dalco!!!!!! the crowd chanted :wakawaka: :teeth: :) :taz:

#179 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,719 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:52 PM

I am a fairly competent diver so you can choose a variety of dive sites...however the uncertainty of the unknown is ALWAYS worse than the unknown. If we start a bit simpler...then I'll be much more able to jump into more advanced sites. Do keep in mind I am a wuss for the cold....a BIG wuss. Afterall I wore a 7 mil crushed neoprene suit in 82-84 water in the Caribbean so you know I gotta be a wuss for the cold.

Once I 'm certain my thermals are sufficient and my weighting is right for them...then I'll be fine. I did not get a chance to practice with my thermas to determine weighting so will assume 1-2 lbs more then what I was diving without them. Is this about right?

formerly...

#180 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:52 PM

My experience, and not a whole lot on boat dives with Rick, but majority either have an anchor line, drop you off next to the wall or the vis is good enough to see the bottom... all that to say, you usually always have a reference of some sort.
Coming back up, typically you just follow the bottom up... and the surface swim out to the boat... so shouldn't be any different than WWW diving... except closer to land...

I agree with Greg on going easy on the dives... wih buoyancy and possible ear problems, just a Nice Easy set of dives would be great...

I'm good for 3 dives too, so whatever...

This will be fun.. :wakawaka:
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users