• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

PNW Underwater Treasure Hunt - Booth! NEED HELP!

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#181 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 26 April 2005 - 11:00 PM

I am good with KVI or Maury Island. Would love to drift the Narrows but don't know if it is the best dive for this trip..

Looks like we are gonna need the big boat..
If we do 3 dives Iam going to have to rent a third. I only own 2 tanks..

If the 3rd dive is to be Delco.. I will sit it out..
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#182 CaptainRonPdx

CaptainRonPdx

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Cert Level:TriMix Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 26 April 2005 - 11:02 PM

I have at least 50 days of diving with rick, the guy is an absolute pro, boats are solid. most sites are live pickup and dropoff, but you will get dropped close to shore for reference, or, like at maury island, the boat will be tied between pilings and references are a'plenty. The ladder is open ended, so one can walk up with fins on, or have them taken by the onboard DM, you just hang on the rail and lift your fins up. Be sure to bring a tip for the DM, they only work for tips and do a wonderful job.

#183 CaptainRonPdx

CaptainRonPdx

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 11:09 PM

Dalco is IMHO, the very best dive in Tacoma, 35fsw at the top with plenty to see whislt hanging out, deco or otherwise, and a shear wall to 185 and the spot where I saw my first and biggest six gill shark, (10 feet long) vis has always been good there for me and the life on the wall is denser than NYC. Havent been on that dive in a while cause I have been doing all my deep play up in Canada, so Im missing it...

#184 kevininpo

kevininpo

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 11:36 PM

Dalco is IMHO, the very best dive in Tacoma, 35fsw at the top with plenty to see whislt hanging out, deco or otherwise, and a shear wall to 185 and the spot where I saw my first and biggest six gill shark, (10 feet long) vis has always been good there for me and the life on the wall is denser than NYC. Havent been on that dive in a while cause I have been doing all my deep play up in Canada, so Im missing it...

lf we did Dalco first, that would be good to set depth, and it is a great site....only about 15 minutes from the marina, too. <bonus> Briney and fpb, don't sell Kamala short, she's probably a better diver than all of us...and Gis, to keep the dive profile right, we'd have to do Dalco first unless we never dropped over the wall...it starts at 54 feet l believe....and Ron is right...Rick is 1st class all the way and a great guy too...he usually has a few AL80's on board to use for 10 bucks a pop l think
if it ain't broke, fix it till it is
what if the hokey pokey really IS what it's all about?

#185 CaptainRonPdx

CaptainRonPdx

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 11:43 PM

i read a report recently, think it was a DAN thing, reverse profiles are no longer considered a problem, but dalco would be a tough first dive while working out your bouyancy, maybe after folks get adive in, then tackle the more advanced one, but dalco is more current sensitive. it would be up to rick and the group

#186 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:07 AM

I was thinking the first dive should be pretty simple. So that all of us can work any bugs out. Kamala while a skilled diver will be new to the PNW waters.

My 2 cents worth..
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#187 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:39 AM

Briney and fpb, don't sell Kamala short, she's probably a better diver than all of us...

Heheh... not selling anyone short, I spent a week in Roatan with WW and as far as I'm concern she's an excellant diver... Her buoyancy was so good she could sneek up and hold on to your tank.. (see pics #088 -092)

http://www.poolesdiv...gle/index_6.htm

(yellow band and red tail)

but she keeps bringing these buoyance, weighting and free ascent issues that it might be best to start out slow and keep it simple so everyone enjoys the dive...
I'd feel the same way if I were diving off of North Carolina in those waters.

To me, doesn't really matter where we go, it's the dive party that is important. It could be the vis isn't up to par which would make any dive a little less than impressive... and it'll give them an excuse to come back...

Again, I'm open to any spot.. but first time out, believe keeping it simple would be my preference... :lmao:

Rick will probably already have route...
We used to do : Pt Defiance - North Wall, Sunrise and Maury...
But whatever...

Just tell me where and when... I'll be taking photos so won't make a good dive buddy anyway... :elf:

Edited by fbp, 27 April 2005 - 08:50 AM.

fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#188 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:03 AM

Thanks guys...when diving wet my bouyancy is where I want it...and yes I've been known to sneak in a few human dpv rides on trips! :elf:

However I would feel more comfortable and therefore better able to enjoy the dive if we started simpler just to boost my confidence.

My hat goes off to divers in the PNW...the diving is NOT easy and I am a warm water wuss with a few stripes from diving NC...but it does not compare. I have no qualms with knowing my limitations or at least testing my percieved limitations first. My dry suit is new and I'm just getting to where I don't feel like a newbie diver again. I finally got the bouyance to where I was not fiddling with it the whole dive...and I wasn't too overweighted. However that was in warm water. Now I need to make some final adjustments again as well as deal with the cold and of course a new dive site.

Being that I have not dove in cold water before...which reminds me...anyone know the temps we'll be diving in...I'd rather have the fewest issues to worry about as possible. I hope I'm not being a PITA...just don't want to jump in over my head so to speak and not have a good first experience! :elf:

Thank you all for worrying so much about me...I really appreciate it! :lmao:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#189 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:04 AM

Does everyone want to do a 3 tank dive? Rick has said we can as there are no afternoon charters for the boat. And we are limited to the 10 person boat.

Also I will need tanks...should I see if Rich still has some to rent? What do most of you dive? Steel or alum? 80's or 100's? Air or nitrox? Thanks, -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#190 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:10 AM

3 dives sounds good, makes a better day of it...
I have my own tanks, so won't need any...

Water temps run around 48F maybe higher, maybe lower by 1-2 degrees...

I'm guessing the route will be as above:
Pt Defiance 5 min boat ride? from dock?
Sunrise - usually an anchor/buoy line
Maury Barges, Dolphins/pilings

None deep, 45-70 or so...

You will have to come back to do the other dives.. Sigh... (joking here)
Oh Dear, another trip the Great Nor'West... heheh... how bad is that eh??

It'll be fun... just you wait..
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#191 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:10 AM

Nick, Ryan and I are up for whatever the group wants to do. I know they also want to do Dalco but I explained that may not be a go for this trip.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#192 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:12 AM

Nick, Ryan and I are up for whatever the group wants to do. I know they also want to do Dalco but I explained that may not be a go for this trip.

Do they want to do 3 dives?

formerly...

#193 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 27 April 2005 - 11:05 AM

it would be up to rick and the group

How about just "the group", since we're the customers? Of course, recommendations from the skipper can be considered, but most everyone here is savy on the local sites. Zee's reef I think is w/in reasonable distance. Day Island or Sunrise. KVI? It's ok, but I don't really feel it's worth the price of a boat dive. Some place where we are almost guaranteed wolf-eels and/or gpo's.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#194 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 11:08 AM

Does everyone want to do a 3 tank dive? Rick has said we can as there are no afternoon charters for the boat. And we are limited to the 10 person boat.

Also I will need tanks...should I see if Rich still has some to rent? What do most of you dive? Steel or alum? 80's or 100's? Air or nitrox? Thanks, -ww

No afternoon dives booked is probably due to the fact that the exchange gets bad after noon. Tacoma currents get a rippen 3 knots around 1pm. I will opt for two dives, I only have two tanks anyway. I use HP steel 102's, exclusively EAN.

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#195 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 11:14 AM

The subject is post-dive debriefing on Sunday. Kamala has expressed an interest in visiting the Seattle Aquarium and having brunch, lunch, munchies or whatever at a nearby restaurant, which there are many. This is depending on popular response.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users