• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Question for Married/Buddyless divers

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 19 April 2004 - 06:54 AM

Okay, so you're either married or have a significant other that's a non-diver. So, how do you decide where to go on vacation?

Do you alternate between diving and non-diving locales, take separate vacations or compromise by choosing a location that satisfies the requirements of both?

How much diving to you get to do on vacations with a non-diving SO?

Just wondering.

Diverlady :welcome:
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#2 mischievous

mischievous

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 19 April 2004 - 08:32 AM

i went to costa rica and got no diving in because my SO at the time was a non-diver. i would suggest either alternate vacations or separate ones since going together and hoping to get dives in left my undive buddy freaking about being left alone while i was going to have fun with my crew.

#3 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 19 April 2004 - 08:50 AM

My last long-term relationship was with a non-diver. We worked for the same environmental organization and were both dedicated to our jobs so we didn't take advantage of all our vacation days. However, when we did go on vacation it was always non-diving. That didn't bother me because I could dive frequently here at home and we always did things we both enjoyed.

However my diving has intensified so much the past few years that I can't imagine dating a non-diver, and one who was quite passionate about diving. Once I connect, my next vacations will be diving South America, Africa or the southern Caribbean, or... Come to think of it, my life now is a vacation!

Dr. Bill

#4 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 19 April 2004 - 11:57 AM

I must be persuasive or something (I guess those subliminal tapes really do work), but the last couple of non-divers I've gone on tropical vacations with have become certified. I'm very clear in my communication in what I consider a vacation (great beaches, great diving, warm weather, warm water, minimal clothing, no people) and what I consider a nightmare (crammed into a tour bus with 500 other tourists being hustled from one photo op to another). I only get three weeks a year and one of those is spent over Christmas in Aspen with my family, so I have to make the best of the other two. Thankfully, this year I get to spend one of them with some of you in Bonaire, and we'll see what I do with the other.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#5 coppermaus

coppermaus

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, working on DM

Posted 19 April 2004 - 12:06 PM

Yeah, my approach is to get 'em certified. Friends, SO's, family members, family pets -- get 'em all in the water! So far only my cat has put up a real fight. :puma:

Well, and a girlfriend non-SO who is a great travel buddy but pretty much freaked out when I tried to get her snorkeling in Costa Rica. I was thinking we could go out on the same boat, and she'd snorkel while I dove, but that idea died when she couldn't deal with the mask on her face. Ended up not diving at all that trip.
coppermaus

#6 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 19 April 2004 - 12:18 PM

I was introduced to diving las t summer by someone who I am no longer seeing. Am I going to give up diving???? Heck no!!! Now, I'm in the same boat as y'all- well, not really. I have to meet someone that I want to date first!!! :puma:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#7 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 19 April 2004 - 12:47 PM

I was once married to a non diver. I actually met her on a dive trip. From the beginning, she wanted to learn to dive. I taught her to dive, but she never was excited about diving. If conditions weren't perfect, she had no interest in diving. We took weekends for diving and non diving vacations. Having to plan with the children pretty much guaranteed vacations wouldn't include much diving.

She used to encourage me to dive. She was very supportive. Even with her support, there was one time I didn't dive for 1½ years.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#8 No Pressure

No Pressure

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 19 April 2004 - 10:40 PM

My issue is...If I dated someone long enough for us both to be comfortable spending some time away from each other on a vacation, then going to a location with diving, but also land based activities would be fine. Split up the time, and all is well. But, for me diving is VERY important (see avatar), and getting to that "comfortable" condition in a new relationship is difficult. "You want to go off in the ocean by yourself rather than spend time with me?" doesn't work.
Bottom line. Many would probably not be on this website if they had a diving SO, and would not be a diving addict if they had a non-diver SO.
Therefore, date at home, then come on the SD.com trips!!!
Diving; My zen space.

#9 nikk

nikk

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Cert Level:cmas 3*
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 20 April 2004 - 01:37 AM

My wife is a non diver and we have sorted out a system that seems to work. One vacation a year together; one dive vacation for me (a shopping expedition for her) separately. I then try and fit in some diving on any business trips that I do as well. Its not ideal, but it does work as the non diving vacation is spent entirely with her!
WWW (Warm Water Wuss.....AND PROUD OF IT!!!)

#10 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 20 April 2004 - 04:58 AM

I was once married to a non diver. I actually met her on a dive trip. From the beginning, she wanted to learn to dive. I taught her to dive, but she never was excited about diving. If conditions weren't perfect, she had no interest in diving. We took weekends for diving and non diving vacations. Having to plan with the children pretty much guaranteed vacations wouldn't include much diving.

She used to encourage me to dive. She was very supportive. Even with her support, there was one time I didn't dive for 1½ years.

Definitely a factor to consider. On the other hand, there are all kinds of other important factors to consider when decidiing to get involved with someone (SACRILIDGE!!!).
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 05:11 AM

On the other hand, there are all kinds of other important factors to consider when decidiing to get involved with someone

Of course, diving is merely one. OTOH, it related directly to lifestyle, so it is a very important factor for me.

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 bandit

bandit

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI

Posted 20 April 2004 - 01:24 PM

Both of my dive buddies are married. They manage to take two dive trips a year with me and stay married. I don't ask too many questions, but I also don't get invited to dinner very often. :respect:
Beatings for the crew will continue until moral improves...

#13 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 01:26 PM

I also don't get invited to dinner very often.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

DSSW,

WWW™

#14 No Pressure

No Pressure

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:14 PM

Bandit, given the choice.......Ah, and the meatloaf was probably not that good anyway
Diving; My zen space.

#15 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:28 PM

Both of my dive buddies are married. They manage to take two dive trips a year with me and stay married. I don't ask too many questions, but I also don't get invited to dinner very often. :-D

Hmmmmm .... diving or dinner conversation ........ diving or dinner conversation ..... let me think ..........
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users