• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

'Ya Want Veggies With That'?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:57 AM

You want veggies with that?

ONLY the absence of common sense would explain labeling batter-coated french fries a "fresh vegetable."

But government and common sense are not always compatible. The U.S. Department of Agriculture now defines the popular fast food in that manner as part of a plan to benefit fruit and vegetable farmers. Given the way bureaucrats operate, don't be surprised if french fries wind up in the vegetable column in school lunches, too.
Let's admit it. French fries are great. There's nothing like an order of hot, salty, deep-fried potato sticks, preferably with a burger. However, most people inherently know that they are not good for you.

Now, unbelievably, batter-coated french fries have the government's stamp of approval as vegetables. The idea deals a blow to parents' efforts to convince their children to eat more fresh fruit and vegetables and fewer greasy fast-foods.

Remember 1981, when the USDA tried to classify ketchup as a vegetable in school lunches? The public was in an uproar, and the department and U.S. District Judge Richard Schell of Texas, who endorsed the change, don't want a replay of that scene.

That's why they want to make it clear that this new classification of french fries only applies to commerce. The french fry industry tried for decades to get the revision in the Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act. In fact, since 1996, most frozen french fries have been considered fresh vegetables anyway.

No matter how aggressively the USDA pushes the point, the notion of french fries as a fresh vegetable will only make a fat nation fatter. One reason the industry sought the revision is because obesity is partly blamed on the vast consumption of french fries, and the industry saw reclassification as a step toward respectability.

A Chicago attorney who challenged the revision called the new rule "outrageous" and said flatly that "batter-coated french fries are not fresh vegetables." No matter how you sugar-coat it, or in this case, batter-coat it, he's right.

We hate to ask, but what next?

Does this mean that chocolate-covered cherries will soon qualify as fresh fruit?

Attached Images

• FrenchFries_as_veggies.jpg

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Hipshot

Hipshot

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:46 PM

Such insanity, however, isn't limited to the USDA. Earlier this evening, following my workout at the gym, I stopped by their snack bar. While I was waiting for my protein shake (with an extra scoop of whey protein and a banana...see, I'm eating right, WW) I was reading the back label on a bottle of Heinz ketchup. The label was touting ketchup as an excellent source of lycopene. Perhaps at one time, the government called ketchup a vegetable, but now we have Heinz calling it health food.

WW: "We hate to ask, but what next?" Now you know! :evilgrin:

Rick
:D

Just because everything has changed doesn't mean it's not the same.

#3 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:100?

Posted 06 April 2005 - 07:53 AM

Are you trying to say that Pizza with everything on it, is not a balanced meal? I mean, you get your bread, your diary, your veggies, your meat. My school cafeteria thought it was a balanced meal. God love them bureacrats!

#4 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:16 AM

Perhaps at one time, the government called ketchup a vegetable, but now we have Heinz calling it health food.

It's not the lycopene, it's the sugar and salt that makes it a health food!!!! :)
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#5 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:22 AM

Could I get the USDA to approve my chili cheeze gravy fries, with a side of batter covered deep fried bacon bits ????

Inquiring minds want to know.

#6 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:36 AM

Geesh!!!!! This is crazy!!!

Dejah

#7 blondey

blondey

Getting started

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water Diver
  • Logged Dives:6

Posted 06 April 2005 - 10:14 AM

Didn't some study prove that a couple of Guinness beers, a glass of milk, an egg and an orange cover all of your basic daily nutritional needs? (has anyone heard about this? I forget the exact combination, all I remember is the two Guinnesses)
Goes to show that society is basically nutritionally doomed.

#8 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 06 April 2005 - 10:24 AM

Is beer a health food drink because its made for the grains from the grain group from the 5 block health pyramid ???????

#9 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:59 AM

Is beer a health food drink because its made for the grains from the grain group from the 5 block health pyramid ???????

YES!!! And it has yeast, which is rich in vitamins and minerals.

Supplemented with the Chivas whole barley alcohol extract, one can reach new states of awareness and unconsciousness.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#10 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 06 April 2005 - 04:04 PM

So, according to the USDA and Heinz, french fries smothered with ketchup is the equivalent of a spinach salad with balsamic vinegarette? Beam me up, Scotty!!!

Rick
:canuckdiver:

I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There’s a knob called “brightness,” but it doesn’t work.
Gallagher

#11 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Cert Level:Private
  • Logged Dives:Private

Posted 06 April 2005 - 04:18 PM

Lets not call it "beer." Lets call it Barley Soda, a health food drink made from all natural ingrediants. In Golden Colorado at the Coors plant, they make it with natural mountain stream water. Those that work there in Golden Colorado (you HAVE to wonder why they call it that) refer to it as Rocky Mountain Beaver Urine.

#12 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 04:21 PM

So, according to the USDA and Heinz, french fries smothered with ketchup is the equivalent of a spinach salad with balsamic vinegarette?  Beam me up, Scotty!!!

Rick
:canuckdiver:

I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There’s a knob called “brightness,” but it doesn’t work. 
  Gallagher

If we cover them with cheese we can also say it's a good source of calcium....good for your bones. And I have a feeling that if we eat that stuff we're gonna' need big strong bones.

Edited by RichardB, 06 April 2005 - 04:22 PM.

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 April 2005 - 04:21 PM

Also there is food value to beer....but there is no beer value to food!!! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#14 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 04:23 PM

Also there is food value to beer....but there is no beer value to food!!! -ww

Is there food value to red wines?

#15 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:100?

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:08 PM

Didn't some study prove that a couple of Guinness beers, a glass of milk, an egg and an orange cover all of your basic daily nutritional needs? (has anyone heard about this? I forget the exact combination, all I remember is the two Guinnesses)
Goes to show that society is basically nutritionally doomed.

Reminds me of one of my favorite sayings:

Guinness, It's not just for breakfast anymore!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users