• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Where oh Where should I raise my kids?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:15 AM

Original Article on WebMD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best States for Raising Healthy Kids??

-- Connecticut is America's top state for raising healthy kids, while Alaska ranks lowest on a list compiled by Child Magazine.

Of course, it's possible to raise a fit child anywhere. No state has a monopoly on health, but some may make it a bit easier to achieve, according to the survey.

See where your state ranks and why?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:59 AM

This is silly. States are ranked higher or lower because of requiring or not requiring PE classes and if they have healthy foods in school cafeterias. This is simply encouraging a lack of individual responsibility. A state is not safer for children because it offers healthy food in school cafeterias. It does assist parents and children in that it makes healthier choices available. That's not the same as being a safer state in which to raise children. A safer state in which to raise children would be one in which factors beyond control of parents are either naturally safer or are controlled by the state - clean air comes to mind, toxic waste is another.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:47 PM

Washington.. 24... as close to the middle without actually being there....
That sounds about right.....
Thanks WW...
Walter.. Ditto you response...

Edited by gis_gal, 06 April 2005 - 08:48 PM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#4 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Cert Level:Private
  • Logged Dives:Private

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:13 PM

This is silly. States are ranked higher or lower because of requiring or not requiring PE classes and if they have healthy foods in school cafeterias. This is simply encouraging a lack of individual responsibility. A state is not safer for children because it offers healthy food in school cafeterias. It does assist parents and children in that it makes healthier choices available. That's not the same as being a safer state in which to raise children. A safer state in which to raise children would be one in which factors beyond control of parents are either naturally safer or are controlled by the state - clean air comes to mind, toxic waste is another.

Yeah, what he said! :teeth:

#5 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 06 April 2005 - 10:25 PM

What Walter said too and what is the definition of a "healthy kid"? WW you might lean toward nutrition, however I would include mental health and habits in that definition. For example Montana ranked high on their list, but that is a hard state to live in and has typically in the past had quite the trouble with underage drinking (I attended high school in Montana for a couple years).

Just more things to think about. Just because there are programs that take nutrition into consideration doesn't mean that child is going be exposed to less underage drinking, drugs, crime, and have any better respect for humanity. Almost my entire family (including bother-in-law) and best friend are teachers or school administrators. It's amazing how they are treated by btoh students and parents alike. The lack of respect for authority and their fellow human being is truly shocking.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:46 PM

The article in an of itself is bogus in that its criteria for quote unquote 'Healthy' eating is not eating at all but rather requiring exercise, etc. Some mention was made of schools offering healthy snacks and water and Texas is proposing a 'Twinkie' or junkfood tax.

However it has encouraged people to talk about real subjects such as the quality of life and subjects truly important to raising kids...and for that...it was good!

So anyone wanna move to CT??? :(

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#7 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 07 April 2005 - 12:04 AM

However it has encouraged people to talk about real subjects such as the quality of life and subjects truly important to raising kids...and for that...it was good!

Oh yes absolutely!!!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#8 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:25 AM

Perhaps the biggest fallacy here is that we're looking at what state is best. Most states, at least here in the Northeast, are a mosaic of different communities. Take Connecticut, for instance. I have no doubt that it is healthier, in terms of environment, to be in northeastern Connecticut, than some of the urban areas, such as Hartford. On the other hand, southwestern Connecticut, because of its high per capita income, generally has good schools and a high standard of living, although even in this area, there are variations from community to community. Looking at the state level is too macroscopic. Look at local communities.

Rick
:(

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
--Madonna

Edited by Hipshot, 07 April 2005 - 05:53 PM.

#9 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:42 AM

Excellent points, Rick.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#10 WVMike

WVMike

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:270

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:33 PM

So anyone wanna move to CT??? :welcome:

Not.

I agree with the consensus here.

However did you note that WV ranked 7th. I would have thought first. This is a great place to live, hard place to make a living. My kids have all thrived here.

Mike

#11 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:50 PM

So anyone wanna move to CT???  :)

At least you'll know someone when you get there!!! :welcome:

Cheers,
Rick
:fish:

Remember that you show compassion to others not because of who they are but because of who you are.

#12 tdtexas

tdtexas

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:152 Bluewater, not counting lake/quarry dives

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:26 PM

Do not go to Oklahoma unless you want them to drive pick up trucks & think a night of entertainment is a "kegger" in a middle of a field!
Live Life To The Fullest, ARE YOU WITH ME!!!!!!!

Tom

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
No, his mind is not for rent to any god or govement. Alway hopeful yet discontent. He knows changes are never permanent, but change is.

N. Peart

#13 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Cert Level:Private
  • Logged Dives:Private

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:35 PM

Do not go to Oklahoma unless you want them to drive pick up trucks & think a night of entertainment is a "kegger" in a middle of a field!

Hey now...you Texas people owe a lot to OK! If it were not for Oklahoma, Texas wouldn't even exist. If Oklahoma didn't suck you'd have fallen off into the Gulf years ago! LOLOLOL, Just kidding!

#14 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:37 AM

Sounds like entertainment in rural Montana, Idaho, Oregon...I don't think Oklahoma has a monolpoly on trucks and field keggers! :birthday:

#15 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 08 April 2005 - 12:52 PM

Sounds like entertainment in rural Montana, Idaho, Oregon...I don't think Oklahoma has a monolpoly on trucks and field keggers!  :lmao:

Do they offer this as a major at your universities in the PNW??

They do in Oklahoma!! :welcome:

DBD
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users