• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

FYI: US Passports

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 22 July 2005 - 11:31 AM

I'm thinking national identify chip place under the skin at the back of the head, oh yeah and they could track your every movement too.

#17 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 22 July 2005 - 12:03 PM

It can be even worse. Going to Honduras, your passport must be valid for six months beyond your intended visit. I guess they've had too many people stay longer than the passports were good.
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#18 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 22 July 2005 - 12:47 PM

I've always used a passport whenever I've gone out of the country. It always gave me a sense of security that I could return. As for the chip, it's probably what we in the tech world call and RFID and yes it will be protected from being hacked.

Scott

:lam:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#19 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:20 PM

I think we need more border control and more information about who is in our country...if that means we get passport info from everyone, so be it...we've been way too lax in the past

The new passport plans are international. The recent London bombers were born in England - how would this procedure have helped in any way?

#20 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:24 PM

OR

we could not have any passports at all, and just let anyone who wants to come into the US without any restrictions at all

Isn't that what we have now??? :welcome:

You've not tried entering the US as a non-US citizen, then?

#21 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:29 PM

Peter, I don't think he was referring to legal entry.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#22 ladyfish

ladyfish

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:5

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:36 PM

question wehere is the cheapest place to get your passport her it costs 85.00 [per persone} at the post office. cam you get them online ?

#23 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 22 July 2005 - 03:01 PM

question wehere is the cheapest place to get your passport her it costs 85.00 [per persone} at the post office. cam you get them online ?

I think the only aspect you might economize on is the cost of the photo you provide. I think the passport will be the same regardless of where you apply, but you do have to go in person.

From the US State Department: http://travel.state....sport_1738.html

New Application for a U.S. Passport
To obtain a passport for the first time, you need to go in person to one of  7,000 passport acceptance facilities located throughout the United States with two photographs of yourself, proof of U.S. citizenship, and a valid form of photo identification such as a driver’s license.

Suggest reviewing that site for further details.
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#24 Geek

Geek

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 23 July 2005 - 06:58 PM

In an ideal world passports would be required less, not more. Unfortunately we don't have an ideal world. With the latest wave of terrorist attacks, we now have police randomly searching bags of anyone getting on the NY subway, a mere 3 million people a day.

Given what it is taking to restore security to our transit systems, I think having to use a passport for international travel is a minor issue.

Get a passport, be proud to show it because it shows the world who you are.

#25 Mishelle

Mishelle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Cert Level:My life is only complete when Im 150 ft deep!
  • Logged Dives:lost count....actually lost log too :(

Posted 23 July 2005 - 07:09 PM

Tolly,

Thank you for the heads up!

Also, the cost of a passport is the same everywhere. It is also a good idea to just let the post office take the picture. Digital pictures are NOT accepted!!!! We found this out the hard way when we were working to get on the Amazing Race.
:) Mishelle

The best day I ever had was face to face with a man and a shark, and wondering who was gonna bite me first- Poison Pen

Divers Wanted! Come dive with SD!!

#26 sunshinediver

sunshinediver

People are starting to get to know me

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor trainer with SEI and CMAS; HSA (divers with disabilities) and DAN instructor; tech
  • Logged Dives:2312

Posted 07 August 2005 - 08:49 PM

Tolly,

Thank you for the heads up!

Also, the cost of a passport is the same everywhere. It is also a good idea to just let the post office take the picture. Digital pictures are NOT accepted!!!! We found this out the hard way when we were working to get on the Amazing Race.

Hey everyone, I just renewed my passport, so here are a couple of things I learned (the hard way!). The U.S. Postal Service no longer "handles" passport processing, so although they do provide the application and will mail it for you, the rest is up to you.

Also, digital pictures are allowed, as long as they meet the requirements of Passport Services. I highly recommend using AAA to get your passport pictures as they are all set up for it (with a digital camera), and if you are a AAA Plus member, you get one free set of passport pictures per year (a lot of people don't know about this benefit).

The cost is now $67, but be aware that if you have an outdated version of the passport form, it will not include the latest requirements. In my case, I mailed my renewal on June 28 with $55 as the form stated (I had just picked up the form the day before). It was returned to me and I had to re-file. Also, you must include return postage and an envelope or pay an additional cost as stated on the form, or they'll send it back. If you are a first-time filer or need additional help, you can go in person to a Passport Processing Agency.

Latest Passport Form Information
Passport Renewal Form
Passport Processing Agencies

Edited by sunshinediver, 07 August 2005 - 08:51 PM.

#27 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:05 AM

Hey everyone, I just renewed my passport, so here are a couple of things I learned (the hard way!). The U.S. Postal Service no longer "handles" passport processing, so although they do provide the application and will mail it for you, the rest is up to you.

Don't know if that's universally true. My GF just did everything turnkey at her local postoffice-pic, form and everything. May be something that is changing, though, don't know.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#28 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:26 AM

In the US, passport applications are sometimes handled through the Postal Service and sometimes not. It varies from one location to another. I believe, for example, in Tampa this is handled by the PO, while in Fort Myers (same Postal Service District) they are handled by the Lee County Clerk of Court. If the Post Office doesn't handle it in your location, they are used to the question and are likely to know where to send you to complete your paper work.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#29 Olive Drab

Olive Drab

Getting started

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Open Water
  • Logged Dives:26

Posted 21 August 2005 - 11:22 AM

I picked mine up at the Embassy in Baghdad, only had an official at that point. I believe the cost for the blue one was 80-90. They threw some fee in there that was around 17 dollars. I believe its the same anywhere you go.
As to the person with the inmate shirt, how far out were you zoomed on your pics? Mine have my head and neck and thats about it in the photos. I believe they wanted to see both ears, top of your head. No shoulder,chest requirement that I recall.

#30 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 21 August 2005 - 11:41 AM

I renewed my passport last fall and it was very easy to do. I went to a local shop that does passport photos. Then I went to this site US passport renewal and followed the directions. It said to allow 6 weeks and I got mine back in about two weeks. They also send you back your old one with holes punched thru to void it. But it's nice to have the old one to see where you've been.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users