• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Giant Sea Bass killed in San Diego

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Cert Level:Private
  • Logged Dives:Private

Posted 26 April 2005 - 07:01 PM

maybe it was an angry sea bass. and maybe it had a "laser" on its head

LOLOLOL!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :teeth: :teeth: :lmao: :lmao: :cool1:

#32 Marion1336

Marion1336

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:43

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:32 PM

What do they taste like?  :teeth:

Just like chicken. :wakawaka:
To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.
-David Viscott

#33 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:51 PM

He felt threatened by a bass?  What the....? 

A few years ago I was following a black sea bass through our dive park with my camera rolling. I noticed through the viewfinder that it was heading towards a group of divers at the far end of the park, and they scattered as it approached.

While on my surface interval, a group of divers came over to me and asked if I was the guy with the camera who chased that big "shark" towards them. I guess they were species ID challenged, but they did feel threatened. Of course that one was twice as big as the 150-pounder in this incident.

Dr. Bill

:wakawaka:

Unbelievable.

#34 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:03 AM

What do they taste like?

Can't really say from first hand experience. They were largely gone when I started diving California waters in the late 60's. However, there was a significant commercial fishery for them here and in Mexican waters early on, a major sport fishery starting in the late 1800's, and then the spearfishermen starting in the 50's (for SCUBA at least) up until restrictions were placed on their take here in CA. My certifying instructor (Ron Merker, LAC) had the record for the largest fish at one point- "great" picture of it in the back of his sportscar (an MG TD I think).

Had another amusing black sea bass story. I was following another one (about 350#) for several minutes through the dive park. I could barely keep up with it so almost all the footage was of the tail swishing back and forth until that fish entered a group of divers in an open water class.

When I went back to the house to look at the day's footage, I discovered the fish had taken a dump on me while I was filming! I did a little research and found incidents of black sea bass taking dumps on divers, and in at least one case returning to take a second dump on them! Made me wish for an environmentally sealed reg!!

Dr. Bill

#35 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:30 AM

I heard a proverb in China that it is lucky when a pidgeon dumped on you, is it true for a fish too? :diver:

#36 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:45 AM

Here's a follow up.

Scuba Thugs Charged
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#37 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:17 AM

DrDiver- many thanks for the pointer to that story. It makes this offense all the more heinous knowing that this jerk is a repeat convicted felon and his buddy a previously caught poacher. Three years in jail would not be enough (since two years didn't seem to affect the first diver's behavior afterwards).

Dr. Bill

#38 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:25 AM

You're welcome! My personal view, chain 'em in a tidal pool for a couple of days----they can keep whatever they have left.

Edited by drdiver, 25 May 2005 - 09:30 AM.

There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#39 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:54 AM

These guys are a bunch of Yahoos. They need the maximum sentence and then some. Most divers that spearfish are responsible and know the local laws. There are the few that can ruin things for everyone.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#40 ShamuLovesMe

ShamuLovesMe

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 18 August 2005 - 04:29 PM

Click here to read about the final resolution of this incident. A slap on the wrist, no jail time for these giant sea bass-killing poachers.

#41 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 04:43 PM

Click here to read about the final resolution of this incident. A slap on the wrist, no jail time for these giant sea bass-killing poachers.

I would vote to imposing some jail time for the Commissioner that let those bums off!
You must endeavor to pursue!

#42 Neptuner

Neptuner

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 18 August 2005 - 05:18 PM

That is unbelievable... I've seen worse sentences for poaching a deer that isn't even a protected species!?!?!?

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#43 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 18 August 2005 - 06:07 PM

I have to add my unbelievable..
I think jail time and a much larger fine should have been the ruling.

They were in a known protected area.. illegally spear fishing.. took a protected species... and it only cost them some gear, $1,000 and some community service..
My daughter had to do more community service to meet her graduation requirements.

Edited by gis_gal, 18 August 2005 - 06:07 PM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#44 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 06:38 PM

This is an outrage. It makes any attempt at trying to preserve such animals something violators can laugh at.

Can someone from the San Diego area post the address (snail or e-mail) for the Commissioner and any other officials so we can contact them and register the complaint. After all, these were repeat offenders. That should have brought something more serious in and of itself.

I've seen black sea bass in our waters with evidence of spear wounds and there is the famous picture by Steve Madaras of the one with a spear still in its side. Recently I've seen two who MAY have been subject to glancing blows by hand-held spears.

Grrr... this burns by craw (at least if someone can tell me what a craw is?).

Dr. Bill

#45 ShamuLovesMe

ShamuLovesMe

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:12 PM

One more follow-up article in today's Union-Tribune. The offender had not only committed this crime, but multiple previous FELONIES, including auto theft and burglary. So again, WHY NO JAIL TIME??? Oh, and he's an immigrant... at least the article states that INS is processing him for deportation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users