• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Too much time on my hands?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 23 April 2004 - 08:58 AM

You know this thread is starting to sound like there are too many people out therre who have been doing too little diving and too much SD'ing (is there ever too much). As for me, I plan to get in a three day weekend of diving here on Catalina since my son just e-mailed me and can't visit as planned.

Hope you all have great weekends filled with diving, or at least dreaming about future trips!

Dr. B

Have a great weekend doc! For some of us....the surface interval is much longer between dives....looks like the Flower Gardens trip we were planning this weekend will not happen due to weather issues far off shore...BUMMER! :dltears:

However....any time spent on Single Divers is NOT wasted time! Just ask my boss who tried to fire me last week for hanging out here as much as I do? Hey wait a minute....that can't be right.....I AM my own boss?? Er....must be time for my monthly tune up...yep...systems are not functioning properly!!! NEED TO GET WET SOON!!! :o

NOTE: This thread split off so we could continue this fun thread without encroaching too much more on Mischevious's Intro Thread. Thanks! -WW

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:10 AM

Ah, WW... in no way suggesting that time spent on SD is a waste of time. It's just that we need to balance our time on-line with time in the water. Yes, it's so easy for me to just walk down to the dive park or jump on one of our dive boats and dive. I planned my life this way, and in doing so gained much... and sacrificed some. The trade-off has been worth it overall.

Hmmm, being a child of the 60's thoughts of a SCUBA commune suddenly come to mind... a place where many of us can live, dive and somehow eak out a living through group effort. Or maybe a traveling band of SCUBA "carnies" moving from dive location to dive location to dive and give talks, video shows, etc., on diving to pay the way.

Oh, I guess I'm just day dreaming. I should get back to my other computer and edit more video... then head down and test the waters on this bright sunny day!

Dr. B

#3 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:16 AM

You know this thread is starting to sound like there are too many people out therre who have been doing too little diving and too much SD'ing (is there ever too much). As for me, I plan to get in a three day weekend of diving here on Catalina since my son just e-mailed me and can't visit as planned.

Yeah, I hear ya Dr Bill, same thoughts. Heading out for dive-campout my self followed by the next weeking for some island Dive-Campout...
Will catch up lator, have a good one at Catalina... Still trying to make it BACK there...

Question?? I used to dive there a lot, took the Atlantis and other boats out of Long Beach and the day ferry across, but being up here for a long time, what's the vis normally down there - Catalina? Like a bad summer camp, over the years it just gets better and better so I'm remembering the vis at about 30'-50' normal average.
30' up here is considered Fantastic Diving (locally anyway)
Just thought I'd get back to reality again..
thanx..
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#4 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:35 AM

Hmmm, being a child of the 60's thoughts of a SCUBA commune suddenly come to mind... a place where many of us can live, dive and somehow eak out a living through group effort. Or maybe a traveling band of SCUBA "carnies" moving from dive location to dive location to dive and give talks, video shows, etc., on diving to pay the way.

Don't drop the idea quite so soon............
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 10:52 AM

Don't drop the idea quite so soon............

Is that where all the hardcore Single Divers go too when they can't find a mate?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#6 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:11 PM

I guess I've been hijacking Mischievous' intro for my own purposes. Hope you don't mind 'Chie.

After all these years of helping folks get into their gear, it would be nice to know that if I ever get old and gray I might have some youngsters there ready to help us old farts get into our gear. Of course by that time we'll have cylinders that weigh little more than the air inside them and are so compact we can put them in our pockets (right?). No need for much of the heavier gear.

A related thought... how about a less communal approach for now while we're still "young" (relative) and frisky. How many of us are willing to be hosts for other divers on the board once we have established a comfort level with one another? Wouldn't it be great to know you could travel to Florida, stay with an SD member and dive with them (if they're available)? Or come to Catalina and do the same with me? Of course I already have buddies I do this with now.

Time to get in the water... a gorgeous weekend here weather-wise so I expect surface intervals to be sunny, warm and social!

Dr. B

#7 No Pressure

No Pressure

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:58 PM

Great idea Dr B. I like the scuba commune thing, trading hits of nitrox with the locals for food and water (wait, that would be nitrous, well I have that too). I mentioned to WW that eventually the site could have a map of North America, with dots for each of us. Then when we want to travel somewhere, we can check out who on SD.com lives close by.
And Chie, also remember Murphy's 1st law... A body in motion is a very good thing.
Diving; My zen space.

#8 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 23 April 2004 - 02:25 PM

Great idea Dr B. I like the scuba commune thing, trading hits of nitrox with the locals for food and water (wait, that would be nitrous, well I have that too). I mentioned to WW that eventually the site could have a map of North America, with dots for each of us. Then when we want to travel somewhere, we can check out who on SD.com lives close by.
And Chie, also remember Murphy's 1st law... A body in motion is a very good thing.

A while back I did bring up the suggestion of having an "opt-in" sortable database of members. As I recall, ZD and WW said that it was already in the works but was down the road a bit. Update? Not that you all don't have anything to work on already....
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 02:45 PM

A while back I did bring up the suggestion of having an "opt-in" sortable database of members. As I recall, ZD and WW said that it was already in the works but was down the road a bit. Update? Not that you all don't have anything to work on already....

Dr Bill: Actually some of us are already doing the commune thing with other new friends on the board...myself included! Great minds think alike!!

No Pressure: We like the dots on the map idea...but got to set it up so when someone registers that the system captures the info from the location field and plugs it into a database that then displays it like a pie or bar graph of sorts...only as dots on a US map instead. Its on the programming list but I'm going to have to get a lot more members on the site to pay for all the things we need programming for! :lol:

Jextract: The sortable membership database is being worked on. Some issues include making sure that you don't have to log in again to access it...i.e your membership name and password works without needing another name etc. We also need additional fields of info to combine it with some other parameters that would be nice in such a database...i.e. how about diving preferences...smoking preferences...roommate preferences...etc. Our idea is to have a fairly granular database that would allow you to sort for say all divers within 50 miles of a given area or how about all male divers who don't smoke and can go on a dive trip within 30 days with minimal notice and likes to dive dive dive when on a dive trip. Or how about all divers who want to dive in Grenada regardless of where they live? Now THAT would be a great sortable database!!!

formerly...

#10 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 23 April 2004 - 02:57 PM

I've hosted out of town dive buddies before and will again. I've also been treated royally by buddies when visiting California, Chicago and other location to get in some dives. It's a great concept.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#11 sacowboy

sacowboy

Getting started

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Cert Level:open water

Posted 23 April 2004 - 11:51 PM

must be time for my monthly tune up...yep...systems are not functioning properly!!! NEED TO GET WET SOON!!! :lol:

WW.... Just this part of your post is loaded enough to just put a giant smile and leave it at that!

:welcome: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users