• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

George Bush Made A Right Move

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 tdtexas

tdtexas

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:152 Bluewater, not counting lake/quarry dives

Posted 26 April 2005 - 08:54 PM

This is a great story that just happen today concerning my daughter's husband. The news just came today.

Background on the story before the outstanding news just announced:

Kaeli’s (my daughter) in-laws meet President George Bush about a month ago at Fort Hood. He met with the families who lost children in the Iraq issue from Fort Hood (another son Joshia was killed in Oct 2004). Upon his greeting, Robert Vandertulip (Kaeli’s father-in-law) said something about his other son, Craig (Kaeli’s husband), going to Iraq this upcoming August. George Bush turned to his aid and said “Can we do this?†Mr. Vandertulip replied “Well, your are the boss, you tell me!â€. They then took down Craig’s information.

Now the good news --- Because of this Craig will not be going to Iraq and will be moving back to Dallas for the next year working as an Army recruiter until his gig is up in July 2006! George Bush did something really good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool1:

The downside is that Kaeli was driving down to Austin to start her new job on Monday when the news broke. She took this job so she can get his career going while he was supposed to be in Iraq. So they will still be separated for another year, but at least Craig’s deployment is only three hours away! When completed, they will be able to get thier life started in Austin as planned at least. Much better option than what they were looking at. :teeth: :teeth:
Live Life To The Fullest, ARE YOU WITH ME!!!!!!!

Tom

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
No, his mind is not for rent to any god or govement. Alway hopeful yet discontent. He knows changes are never permanent, but change is.

N. Peart

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 26 April 2005 - 08:59 PM

That is great news for you family! I'm happy for you.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,702 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:02 PM

Wonderful news! Thanks for sharing it!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Location:Tennessee but my heart belongs to the Lone Star State!
  • Cert Level:Advanced, NITROX, Getting Ready to go tech
  • Logged Dives:Not enough, never enough!!

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:52 PM

A three hour drive is a lot better than the sleepless nights with a loved one serving overseas....

good Luck to the kids!!!!
Kay

Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution... Erich Topp WW II U Boat Commander

#5 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:56 PM

Great news. Thanks for sharing. Its nice to see Mr. Bush use his power for good.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#6 RICHinNC

RICHinNC

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:00 AM

Ive been waiting for the 'sole surviving son" clause to come out. It all started back in WWII when 5 or 6 brothers were all on the same ship and it got sunk. They all perished. Now family members in the service are not SUPPOSED to be in the same unit with the possibility of both being killed at the same time.

There was a while during Nam that if you were the only son in the family and the only means of the family line continuing.....you were exempt.

This is the first I have heard this occuring.

rich
The great thing about excruciating pain is....at least you know you are alive.

#7 WillDiveForBeer

WillDiveForBeer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW and Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:52

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:12 AM

There was a while during Nam that if you were the only son in the family and the only means of the family line continuing.....you were exempt.

That is not entirely true, some of it is an Urban Legand and you can read about it on the Fortunate Son Snopes Page. You were exempt if a family member had perished in the military service.

Glad to hear the good news.

-Mike-

#8 RICHinNC

RICHinNC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:32 AM

Ergo the term....sole surviving son......

gotta love any time you can use ...ergo.....
rich
The great thing about excruciating pain is....at least you know you are alive.

#9 Geek

Geek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 27 April 2005 - 03:30 AM

Pre-WWII it used to be very common for brothers to request the same assignments and be deployed together, e.g. sailors on the same ship. If you visit the Arizona Memorial you will see several examples of this by reading the names of those who died on the Arizona.

For any who have not visited the Arizona, I highly recommend it. The Memorial is very moving.

Again best wishes to all who are serving in our armed forces, where ever they are deployed.

#10 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:16 AM

Ive been waiting for the 'sole surviving son" clause to come out. It all started back in WWII when 5 or 6 brothers were all on the same ship and it got sunk. They all perished. Now family members in the service are not SUPPOSED to be in the same unit with the possibility of both being killed at the same time.

This is the first I have heard this occuring.

rich

it was the Sullivan brothers, all 5 perished when their ship was sunk in the pacific.

the military will not intentionaly assign family members to the same unit. however, they can request it.

we actually had 2 sets of twin brothers in my unit, just in different platoons. but they stayed in the company for combat and invaded Panama and Iraq.

the "sole surviving son" clause is used more than you think

when the alert for Iraq came down, we had a person use it to get out.
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#11 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Location:Tennessee but my heart belongs to the Lone Star State!
  • Cert Level:Advanced, NITROX, Getting Ready to go tech
  • Logged Dives:Not enough, never enough!!

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:42 AM

The sole surviving son clause has been around for longer than most people think. I'd have to consult my Dad to be sure but I think it pre-dates WWII.

It's great that George did something, but it wasn't something that the family or the soldier in question couldn't have done theirselves, all you have to do is contact the correct channels.

But for what it's worth the guy is home and is doing recruiting duty and is still serving proudly!!!! I'm an Army brat so I think that anyone so I support any man or woman that serves this country 100% no questions asked....
Kay

Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution... Erich Topp WW II U Boat Commander

#12 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:54 AM

...There was a while during Nam that if you were the only son in the family and the only means of the family line continuing.....you were exempt.

NOW you tell me!

Glad that this family will not have to suffer any more anxiety than they already have. Hope the rest of the men and women serving in Iraq and other hot spots return home safely.

Dr. Bill

#13 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:17 AM

Hey TD,

You know where I stand and where I am coming from on this!!

Glad to hear things are looking up!!

DBD
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#14 rkohler1

rkohler1

• PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:16 AM

Mike,

Thanks for the link to Snopes, that was an interesting article. Being a career guy myself I just never thought about it, but it makes sense. I knew 'Saving Private Ryan' was based on something actual story, but never took the time to find out more about it.
Rick
USAF (Ret.)
------------

"We've got a blind date with Destiny - and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
- The Shoveller (Mystery Men)

When in doubt, just call 1-800-829-0433

#15 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:22 PM

Its nice to see Mr. Bush use his power for good.

Er... with all due respect... it's President Bush. We will too soon lose respect for the leader of the greatest country in the world if we don't give the proper respect/title to the holder of that office, even though many disagree with any president or his policies. Just as it was President Clinton, it is now President Bush... in spite of the network news anchors' statements.

Certainly, it is admirable that the brother was not seeking such a deferment from duty in Iraq, and that officials in Government were sensitive to the situation for the family and did not deploy him there. :diver:

Kudos, President Bush!

Oh, and for all the other countries represented on SD... you have your own "the greatest country in the world"... and you should respect your respective "office" as well, even if you don't always agree with the office holder. Ok? :P

ITB...

:teeth:
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users