• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Single Divers Conference

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Location:Tennessee but my heart belongs to the Lone Star State!
  • Cert Level:Advanced, NITROX, Getting Ready to go tech
  • Logged Dives:Not enough, never enough!!

Posted 12 May 2005 - 10:36 AM

:) :diver: :dance: :lmao: :diver: :diver: :diver: :diver: :diver: :diver:

We'd like to know what you the members think about a Single Divers conference. This is in the planning stages and we need your help.

1. Tell us what you'd like to see.

2. What type of lectures or courses interest you.

3. What location do you think would be the best?

4. What special skills, professional degree or training do you have that could be informative to our membership? Teach us what you know!

5. Give us any ideas that you have about the conference. If you'd like to help with the planning, be on a committee, or stuff an envelope let us know.

6. When do you think would be a good time for this to take place?

Wreck Wench and I have been discussing this and we realize that we can't do anything without your input. So here is your chance to let us know what you think.

Contact WW or myself with your thoughts or post them here. One of us will get back to you as soon as we can!

Looking forward to hearing from you! :diver: :diver: :diver:

Disclaimer: This is here with Wreck Wench The goddess of diving's knowledge and approval.
Kay

Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution... Erich Topp WW II U Boat Commander

#2 rkohler1

rkohler1

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 10:42 AM

I think it's a great idea, I'd be interested in attending. Might be nice to do it in conjunction with some dive opportunities. As for location, my only recommendation is that it be someplace easily accessible and central to our membership. :)
Rick
USAF (Ret.)
------------

"We've got a blind date with Destiny - and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
- The Shoveller (Mystery Men)

When in doubt, just call 1-800-829-0433

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 May 2005 - 12:15 PM

I think it's a great idea, I'd be interested in attending. Might be nice to do it in conjunction with some dive opportunities. As for location, my only recommendation is that it be someplace easily accessible and central to our membership. :cool1:

Hmm....central eh? The only place I know of Central with some sort of diving possibility would be Houston and we could work to combine it with a trip to the Flower Gardens! Our trip this year sold out very quickly so we might be able to do a day or two of conference (makes it tax deductible if you are in the industry) and then combine it with 2-3 days of awesome Texas diving!

And the idea was SteelMags...and a great one at that! Anyone else think the idea of a SD conference would be cool?

We might even add some seminars on relationships...who knows maybe we could get Dr Phil or at least our very own Dr Phil. (I say Dr Phil since he is originally from Texas and he is a ScubaDiver!)

We could get some of our medical professionals to join us and even do a diving and health seminar(s).

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 Warthog

Warthog

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox, & Night
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 12 May 2005 - 01:12 PM

Perhaps tie it in to another conference. Like a pre-(or post-) conference. That way ppl have a double incentive to come.

As for location, I'd be looking for places that are cheap to fly in to (major airline hubs...Atlanta, Dallas/Ft. Worth, etc.), because there is always somebody that will be coming from far away. With that in consideration, LA or Orlando is probably your best shot. Sorry WW, but Houston isn't cheap to fly in to (for me anyway). Although there's some great cruises out of Houston/Galveston...humm??

What about an SD cruise/conference? I'm not a big fan of diving while on a cruise...it usually means that's the only thing you get to do while in port...but it might be an option. Especially since you'd have enough leverage to probably get an operator to either meet us right at the dock or send a bus.

Anyway, I suppose I should answer the questions:

1. Tell us what you'd like to see.
-Lotsa beautiful women with little clothing on :teeth: Err..I mean equipment. I like to look at the new 'toys'. If you tie in to another conference, that may be taken care of for you.

2. What type of lectures or courses interest you.
-How to identify stress in you buddy (or something like that). Maybe a better title would be 'How to get your buddy out of trouble before he knows he's in trouble'. Part of the PADI DiveMaster program is identifying and preventing problems before they happen. Particularly as buddyless divers, we should be better skilled at IDing issues with our buddies (because we never know what we're getting in to).

3. What location do you think would be the best?
-See notes above.

4. What special skills, professional degree or training do you have that could be informative to our membership? Teach us what you know!
-My 'professional' education (except for DM), revolves around computers. Anybody want a course on Microsoft SQL Server? :cool1:

5. Give us any ideas that you have about the conference. If you'd like to help with the planning, be on a committe, or stuff an envelope let us know.
-Sorry, can't help much, I'm just an idea guy at the moment.

6. When do you think would be a good time for this to take place?
-February...assuming it's someplace warm :teeth:

-Warthog

#5 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 01:18 PM

Those are great suggestions that you have there.

We can always use idea guys. And someone who can fix my computer is always a welcome additon.

I had't thought of a cruise. But that is an idea to. Maybe we could do a single divers.com cruise next year too.
Kay

Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution... Erich Topp WW II U Boat Commander

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 01:42 PM

I had't thought of a cruise. But that is an idea to. Maybe we could do a single divers.com cruise next year too.

We've actually had the idea of a SD cruise and it rec'd good response but perhaps a diving/conference/cruise could be the ticket.

As for suggesting Houston...it seemed a good idea because it could be combined with some diving...WARM diving and it was more central than either of the coasts.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#7 Funewgy

Funewgy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:35

Posted 12 May 2005 - 01:56 PM

If you are doing this on a cruise, I will volunteer to lead the "Drinking Margaritas at the Tiki Bar on the Lido Deck" session. Purely educational mind you.
"Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call" -- J. Buffett

#8 Tolly

Tolly

IT Administrator (Retired)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:*

Posted 12 May 2005 - 01:58 PM

We've actually had the idea of a SD cruise

Wouldn't this be called a liveaboard?

SingleDivers can help you plan your personal or family dive trips! Send us an e-mail: SD Travel

"Give me the money that has been spent in war and I will clothe every man, woman, and child in an attire of which kings and queens will be proud. I will build a schoolhouse in every valley over the whole earth. I will crown every hillside with a place of worship consecrated to peace." Charles Sumner

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Be the little boy" Dive_Girl

dilemma.gif

#9 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 12 May 2005 - 07:57 PM

This will require a lot of thought. The possibilities are unlimited. If we pick a central location, then it will probably be somewhere we won't be able to dive. If we won't be able to dive, then it should at least be somewhere fun, like New Orleans, or something like that. If we go somewhere we can dive, then it should still be somewhere fun, like anywhere but Houston. Not that Houston can't be a fun place at times, but I'm already here and I want to go somewhere else. (Besides Dallas). Sorry WW :lmao: I like the idea of February or March. It's after the Holidays, but if we're going to dive it would have to be somewhere Warm. Sorry, I'm just sort of thinking this through. I'll get back to you when I can come up with something that makes a little more sense.

#10 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 12 May 2005 - 08:48 PM

well, we've definitely got to have a session on "Sex Underwater, Do's and Don'ts."
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:09 PM

If you are doing this on a cruise, I will volunteer to lead the "Drinking Margaritas at the Tiki Bar on the Lido Deck" session. Purely educational mind you.

:lmao:

Of course if we got carried away it could as Tolly suggests turn into a 'liveaboard'... :lmao:

However there is a difference...the former...cruise is all about ports of call...dining and dancing...and if you are lucky...a little bit of diving. Liveaboards of course are all about breakfast...dive...snack...dive...lunch...dive...snack....dive...dinner...dive..
.snack...sleep...start over again! :lmao:

formerly...

#12 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:31 PM

well, we've definitely got to have a session on "Sex Underwater, Do's and Don'ts."

one of the Don't s would be

"Hey, that's a jellyfish not a trojan!!"

#13 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 13 May 2005 - 08:02 AM

"Hey, that's a jellyfish not a trojan!!"

:welcome: :birthday:

#14 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 08:04 AM

To funny.. but we digress!! Come on boys and girls. We need ideas...
Kay

#15 FLDiver

FLDiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 13 May 2005 - 08:16 AM

Well .... SINGLE divers ... Hint!Hint!Hint!

Somehow we'd need to get a good mix and mingle event going.

Musical Fins (ala musical chairs)
Pin the Snorkle
Bobbing for Jellies (beans)
Name That Hand Signal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users