• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Single Divers Conference

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#16 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 13 May 2005 - 08:54 AM

I had't thought of a cruise. But that is an idea to. Maybe we could do a single divers.com cruise next year too.

As for suggesting Houston...it seemed a good idea because it could be combined with some diving

Well, Houston would be ok... and the FG are great, but to have some real assurance of getting out diving, you'd need to do it in July or August, maybe early September... and pray we don't have a hurricane. Then you'd need to get Gulf Diving's boat/boats or all three incl Sea Searcher to accommodate the number of divers going. The Sea Searcher alone is too small, albeit very nice.

I like the central idea. However, now that SW flies so many places, most of us are "free to move about the country" relatively inexpensively. To allow for lots of interests and diving, it seems that South Florida, possibly the Keys should be considered. Lots of dive boats, sites, decent water and marine life... and topside diversions for those so inclined... in some places anyhow. Personally, Houston works for me... ;)

ITB... :o
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#17 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 13 May 2005 - 08:58 AM

The Keys, Yeah. That's what I'm talkin bout!

#18 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Location:Tennessee but my heart belongs to the Lone Star State!
  • Cert Level:Advanced, NITROX, Getting Ready to go tech
  • Logged Dives:Not enough, never enough!!

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:16 AM

I think that we need to put FLDiver in charge of the games.... well him and Doug!!!
Kay

Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution... Erich Topp WW II U Boat Commander

#19 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:40 AM

I think the keys is the choice. I'm sure we could get the REEF people in from Largo to do a fish ID session.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#20 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:13 AM

For the cost of flying and diving here in the US, it would be almost more cost effective to take a cheapy off season trip to Cozumel.

Otherwise state side - Catalina Kelp Forrest, N.C. wrecks, or Florida wrecks.

#21 rkohler1

rkohler1

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:25 AM

I think we need to focus on the conference aspect of this idea, not the diving. While I realize that might be blasphemy to some folks here. The idea for this conference is a meeting of minds to share and to learn together as a group. Different resort vendors could be invited, different equipment vendors could be invited. The focus should be on the conference with less emphasis on the diving. There should be diving, I'm not a total heretic. Someone proposed Orlando, which is probably a great idea because of the normally inexpensive air fare, and options to dive if we can figure it out.
Rick
USAF (Ret.)
------------

"We've got a blind date with Destiny - and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
- The Shoveller (Mystery Men)

When in doubt, just call 1-800-829-0433

#22 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:30 AM

Thank you rick for getting this back on track!!!!

:usflag:
Kay

Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution... Erich Topp WW II U Boat Commander

#23 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:40 PM

I bet these people could provide a variety of seminars on almost any subject matter.

www.ocean.fsu.edu

#24 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:49 PM

Thanks Trimix!!!
Kay

#25 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:30 PM

I think we need to focus on the conference aspect of this idea, not the diving. While I realize that might be blasphemy to some folks here. The idea for this conference is a meeting of minds to share and to learn together as a group. Different resort vendors could be invited, different equipment vendors could be invited. The focus should be on the conference with less emphasis on the diving. There should be diving, I'm not a total heretic. Someone proposed Orlando, which is probably a great idea because of the normally inexpensive air fare, and options to dive if we can figure it out.

Well, I just about get "conferenced out" as it is. A conference sounds pretty dull and formal.... diving sounds fun and joyful. You know why the Americans won the Revolutionary war, don't you???? When the Brits won a battle, they got tea and crumpets... and when the Americans won... they got booze and broads! Who had more to fight for!?!?!? Well, I digress... But I doubt I'm flying cross country for another diving CONFERENCE without diving. You might as well have it in Kansas...

:teeth:

ITB... :diver:
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#26 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 13 May 2005 - 05:42 PM

The idea for this conference is a meeting of minds to share and to learn together as a group.

Ooooooh, now I get it. Either Orlando or Kansas is fine with me. :teeth:

Finding a location where the airfare will be less expensive is a good idea. It would encourage more people to attend. I can get a round trip ticket from Houston/Hobby to Orlando anywhere from $ 35.00 to $79.00 depending what specials they are running at the time.

#27 sun50

sun50

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:advanced, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:95

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:19 PM

Hi all;
I think Kansas would s..k. No place to even think about getting wet.
Orlando sounds great though. From other threads, a consistent CPR course might be a good one to pursue. Doesn't really matter though, SD get together's are fun no matter what!

#28 sun50

sun50

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:advanced, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:95

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:24 PM

BTW;
What I meant on "consistent CPR" is many agencies have different training programs. I would be most interested in a program that combines CPR, AED, and basic first aid. My current cert expired so I need to that anyway.

#29 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:43 AM

fish ID, CPR... now we are starting to get somewhere!!!

Of course there would be diving.

Orlando looks like a good choice because of the inexpensive air fair there. And there is Disney too... I'm not sure of the ease of diving there and that might be a problem. Will have to check in on that one.

The keys is a good idea because it offers us what we need in water for any certs that are offered. And the diving is good for all levels of divers.

Keep the ideas coming.

I think most of the agencies would love to send a rep to talk to group of divers too..

Now what kinds of courses would you like to see taught?? Maybe A deep, Wreck, Nitrox or boat specialty?? I could use a navigation course myself both on land and underwater. I get lost going to the walmart!!!

Come on boys and girls we need some input here!!!
Kay

#30 Geek

Geek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:36 AM

I am very much in favor of the liveaboard idea. While July and August were suggested, I would suggest that September might be easier for a group of singles. There are so many family vacationers in July and August who are restricted by school schedules that it should be easier to arrange something right after they all return to school.

I'd be interested in learning about equipment repair. Perhaps you could arrange 4 for our Senior Tech to be on the trip to teach us about servicing regulators?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users