• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Warm Water Dive Training compare to Cold Water?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Geek

Geek

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 14 May 2005 - 01:50 PM

Most of the advice here is pretty good, especially the points about training. I suggest that if this is truly your first experience with cold water, low visibility, diving that you not only get training, but do some diving in a training facility like Dutch Springs, which is the nearest such facility to me. Dive with a buddy who is experienced in this type of diving.

While the points on gear are fine, there is one more point to consider. Stuff breaks. Things you never even thought about will break. One of the benefits of diving at a training facility is you will not only get some experience, you will be in a much better place when some piece of gear falls off than in the middle of the Atlantic. The training facility is the place to go to shake down your gear. Prepare in advance by trying to eliminate plastic in favor of stainless steel, etc.

You should learn to use a lift bag while training if you have not done so already. A lift bag is mandatory for NJ shore diving. Also redundant air systems are required by most dive boats, so get used to dragging around a minimum 30 cf pony bottle or stage bottle.

There was mention of BCs earlier. Because of all the gear, you are going to need a lot more lift. If you use a BP, then you will need a larger wing. If you use a vest type BC, you might want to consider switching at this time. To put this in perspective, I use an 18 lb wing in the Caribbean, vs. a 55 lb doubles wing locally. 100 lb lift wings are not unheard of.

#17 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 14 May 2005 - 02:02 PM

I guess I am lucky, I learned to dive in cold water (of course that is relative), but lets call it Southern California Cold water (low 50's to high 60's). For me, from the equipment standpoint the only difference has been more lead, thicker wet suit, and hood.

I really do prefer warmer water (again relative as I am extremly happy in anything 72 degrees plus). I am far more comfortable and relaxed in warmer water (thus more efficient on air), but truthfully did not find any major differences for the type of divining I do.

Gis_Gal in her post below makes some very good points, I guess much of what she said is just what I did when I learned in cold water and other then the exposure suit, less lead, and no hood, I didn't change much of anything.

BlueD
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#18 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 14 May 2005 - 02:48 PM

I have done a few warm water dives and many cold water dives. I did all my training here in the beautiful but cold PNW waters. The differences I noticed are mostly gear and exposure related.

I dive with a drysuit and about 25 pounds of weight. I have my weights spread out, 3 pounds on my ankles, 8 in a belt and 14 tucked in my BC. But it is alot of weight. I also wear a hood and gloves. So my hearing and sense of touch are greatly hindered. These can be a big issue for a warm water diver.

Equipment varies from cold to warm so if you plan on diving cold make sure your regs are able to handle the cold water. You do not want them to freeze and free flow on you.

It is highly recommended that you dive every dive with a light (or 2) and at least 1 knife. I dive with 2 (most of my dive buddies also dive with 2).

Another important issue is rest and hydration. It is a lot of work to dive cold. You do work hard every dive. Rest and drink lots of fluids before your dive. You will notice a difference.

The diving here is worth all the trouble. Where else can you see 8' octopus,large crabs and Wolf Eels with heads as large as your own? I dove last night with 2 large Sealions. I have also seen smaller seals while diving.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#19 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:29 PM

WOW!!! Great input...I wish I'd asked this BEFORE my first cold water dives but I can certainly now attest to a number of them.

For example...

Other considerations that I didn't mention, or see mentioned is the physical restraint on your movements that accompanies the 7 mil wetsuit or drysuit. you're just not as mobile. One of the great problems this brings is cutting down your vision, with regard to moving your head around.

I most certainly experienced this. I was diving dry for the first time with all my thermals. Did not realize how much more restricted I'd be from diving dry without them. And it was hard to turn my neck...seemed to have a lot of strain on my upper body.

I did have issues getting warm...'hand warmers' and all. The hot soup helped as did the sun...but dry gloves may be the ticket despite loss of feeling. Heck I had no feeling in my hands so maybe I'll gain some! :D

I can attest to difference is weight belts from what I've been used too...I usually put some lead in my integrated bc and the rest on a belt. Had issues getting a different style belt to function with my bcd properly AND all the bulk from the suit and thermals.

Yes I can attest to task loading...and to being tired after all the uh...work! But the diving was great once I got my face acclimated to it...and yes it was worth it to see such incredible critters....so yes I'll keep diving cold until I get good at it!

And EXCELLENT advice from everyone....everything you said is sooooooooo true! There is a WORLD of difference diving cold vs. warm. Yes I have hundreds of dives and I'm a very proficient diver...but I was a newbie all over again diving a new destination in a new environment. However having such excellent local 'experts' with me made a huge difference from my comfort level to actually helping me with my suit, gearing up...and in the water!

Wish I could add something you all forgot...but no you all covered it pretty much.

Oh wait...KevinInPO suggested a SECOND pair of wool socks and brought me a pair...boy were they a lifesaver! :lmao:

Kinda like my handwarmers! :lmao:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#20 Geek

Geek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:40 PM

The difficulty with your neck movements, not to mention peripheral vision, comes from any think hood, whether you are wearing a wetsuit or drysuit. The double pair of socks is standard drysuit training around here. BTW: you will need training for a drysuit. You haven't lived until you have simulated a feet first ascent!

Re: socks. I usually take 4 pairs on the assumption that my feet will get wet on the first dive. If I stay dry, I have only taken an extra couple pairs of socks with me.

I also mentioned the need for more lift earlier. Remember you need enough lift to bring you up in a flooded wetsuit, i.e. enough to lift yourself, your gear and a few gallons of water! :lmao:

#21 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:59 PM

Thanks Geek!

I dive a dual bladder bc with lots of lift...own steel 100's that I dive in NC all the time so have gear that will support the gear and the extra weight. Dive a 19 cu stage...will eventually upgrade to a 30cu but just haven't since I fly to dive so much!

And you are right about the extra socks...feet never got wet...thank goodness! Well at least not on this trip. When I was doing some extra drysuit practicing on our Saba/St Kitts liveaboard...I did have full suit failure...took on tons of water...all the way to the knees...

Seems I had a tear in the neck seal so I know exactly what you are talking about. And yes the bc handled it just fine! LOL!!!

And yes I strongly recommend the dry suit training....and then dive with very experienced dry suit divers if you can! Those two things have been invaluable to me! And I STRONGLY suggest the same to others!

Thanks for all the great advice....I'm living proof its all VERY relevant! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#22 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:12 PM

You haven't lived until you have simulated a feet first ascent!

Now that is something I am definitely NOT looking forward to when I start my drysuit diving!

#23 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:29 PM

Most of the advice here is pretty good, especially the points about training. I suggest that if this is truly your first experience with cold water, low visibility, diving that you not only get training, but do some diving in a training facility like Dutch Springs, which is the nearest such facility to me. Dive with a buddy who is experienced in this type of diving.

Speaking of Dutch Springs... DUI is going to be at Dutch this weekend doing dry suit demos. I have to call a couple of people from the lcoal dive club abd see who wants to go out with me to try them out. I'll hopefully be there on Sunday.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#24 Geek

Geek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:40 PM

Most of the advice here is pretty good, especially the points about training.  I suggest that if this is truly your first experience with cold water, low visibility, diving that you not only get training, but do some diving in a training facility like Dutch Springs, which is the nearest such facility to me.  Dive with a buddy who is experienced in this type of diving.

Speaking of Dutch Springs... DUI is going to be at Dutch this weekend doing dry suit demos. I have to call a couple of people from the lcoal dive club abd see who wants to go out with me to try them out. I'll hopefully be there on Sunday.

I'm not sure who will be there from DUI, but the people they had at Beneath the Seas really knew their stuff. If you are interested in a drysuit, this is an opportunity to talk to the folks who train the LDS staff at shops that carry their gear.

#25 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:25 PM

I had a feet first ascent in a drysuit. Once. Taught me a great deal. Better to learn from other people's mistakes than to make this particular one yourself.

I've done countless drysuit dives, but I looked a rank amateur when I first attempted technical diving in a drysuit. If you've perfected valve shutdowns in warm water, try doing them in a bulky and stiff drysuit. Even kitting up on a boat is vastly harder in a drysuit.

Cold water diving - everyone should try it.

#26 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:49 PM

Most of the advice here is pretty good, especially the points about training.  I suggest that if this is truly your first experience with cold water, low visibility, diving that you not only get training, but do some diving in a training facility like Dutch Springs, which is the nearest such facility to me.  Dive with a buddy who is experienced in this type of diving.

I'll be there. Look for the fool wearing double 130's!
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#27 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:51 PM

I had a feet first ascent in a drysuit. Once. Taught me a great deal. Better to learn from other people's mistakes than to make this particular one yourself.

I've done countless drysuit dives, but I looked a rank amateur when I first attempted technical diving in a drysuit. If you've perfected valve shutdowns in warm water, try doing them in a bulky and stiff drysuit. Even kitting up on a boat is vastly harder in a drysuit.

Cold water diving - everyone should try it.

Peter,

That's the way I learned valve shutdowns, LOL! The drysuit is my back-up BC with heavy tanks and dual stages, so even in warm water (like N. Carolina), I have to be able to do that.

That's why it's difficult for me to discuss differences. I almost never dive warm water.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users