• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

New Gal on the Block

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:00 PM

I am new to this board and also new to diving. I recently returned from diving at Stuart Cove's in Nassau -- terrific diving! Anyone familiar with them; anyone know their divemasters well? I had a great experience with one there who was from :) and want to return to finish my OW cert out there, perhaps. I did the resort certification at Atlantis and went on a two tank dive at Stuart Cove's and got hooked! I am now completing my NAUI certification and just have to complete my OW dives. Wanted to try to do it in the Keys over Memorial Day weekend, but my dive shop's trip was all booked for that weekend -- too bad I didn't know about this group until today! I already booked a trip there through my dive shop in July to do my OW dives. I think I would like to take th Advanced OW cert with recreational Nitrox training and the Rescue cert, then maybe on to the master diver course and tech diver cert? Will be heavily investing in gear soon -- already have my mask, snorkel, fins.....will be purchasing a dive computer, bc, wetsuit (probably 3 mm neoprene is good for the tropics), and regulator soon. Any advice? Heard that the new double house regulators are making a comeback -- nice not to have bubbles in your face with every exhale! Any thoughts or advice on this vs. the normal regulators? Looking forward to learning more and making new friends here! :elf:

#2 donbadabon

donbadabon

Getting started

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water. Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:23

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:20 PM

Welcome to the board! :)

This area (Washington D.C., MD, VA) has a nice group of divers all itching to hit the water.

I am sure you'll hear from many of them soon. :elf:

#3 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:26 PM

:) TropicalDiverGirl- Wish you could join us in Florida- it's going to be a lot of fun! Good luck on finishing up your certification. One word of advice- LOG THOSE TWO DIVES!!!! :elf: (they count & you may kick yourself later if you don't)
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#4 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Cert Level:Private
  • Logged Dives:Private

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:56 PM

Welcome to the site!

#5 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:57 PM

Welcome Tropicaldivegirl to the group.. hope to see you one day on a trip..

Dejah

#6 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:00 PM

Thanks all! Marvel -- I wish I could, but those two dives were from my resort certification and my first scuba experiences ever, so I have no info. I had no clue about anything when I went on those dives! I don't think they can count toward anything but my positive experiences, can they? :)

#7 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Cert Level:Private
  • Logged Dives:Private

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:10 PM

Thanks all!  Marvel --  I wish I could, but those two dives were from my resort certification and my first scuba experiences ever, so I have no info.  I had no clue about anything when I went on those dives!  I don't think they can count toward anything but my positive experiences, can they?      :)

I think Marvel was picking on guys like me that stopped logging dives and now wish we would have kept better records :wavey:.

BUT! There is a wealth of information on the board and a lot of experienced divers to assist you throughout your diving adventures. We're also a rather entertaining crowd :elf:.

So feel free to dive on in and get active!

#8 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:27 PM

Welcome to our dive family. :)
We have many divers in the NorthEast. I am sure you will be seeing a Happy Hour posting soon.
Congrats on your great diving experiences so far. Stick with us and you will be having many more.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#9 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:29 PM

:) to SD. Dive in and join the fun.

#10 ShamuLovesMe

ShamuLovesMe

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:01 PM

Thanks all! Marvel -- I wish I could, but those two dives were from my resort certification and my first scuba experiences ever, so I have no info. I had no clue about anything when I went on those dives! I don't think they can count toward anything but my positive experiences, can they? :elf:

Well, Marvel's point is that you did do the dives -- whether you were certified or not, you did actually do them, so it's accurate to add them to your "number of dives" count (some courses, depending on how advanced you go, require a minimum number of dives). Even if you don't remember all the details or have a buddy or instructor to sign for them, you can still log them. The point of a dive log is to keep track for yourself.

I'm glad you found us -- you'll have fun here! :)

Mike

#11 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:06 PM

Well, Marvel's point is that you did do the dives -- whether you were certified or not, you did actually do them, so it's accurate to add them to your "number of dives" count (some courses, depending on how advanced you go, require a minimum number of dives). Even if you don't remember all the details or have a buddy or instructor to sign for them, you can still log them. The point of a dive log is to keep track for yourself.

I'm glad you found us -- you'll have fun here!

In that case, I guess I'll have to put it in my log book! Mike -- You're in San Diego? I used to go to school and live out there! Was out there for 7 yrs before I returned to the East Coast, but I sure miss it! How's the weather? June Gloom set in yet? :)

#12 ShamuLovesMe

ShamuLovesMe

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:34 PM

In that case, I guess I'll have to put it in my log book! Mike -- You're in San Diego? I used to go to school and live out there! Was out there for 7 yrs before I returned to the East Coast, but I sure miss it! How's the weather? June Gloom set in yet? :)

Yes, I have missed San Diego every time I've lived elsewhere. Today was the unofficial start of summer out here... at least, the first weekend in ages that was absolutely summerlike (we've had an uncharacteristically crappy winter). I spent the day playing beach volleyball with some friends, and I now look like a boiled lobster. So no, June Gloom hasn't shown its ugly head yet... as strange as the weather has been this year, maybe we'll get a pass (now I'm dreaming).

So where did you go to school out here, and what did you study?

#13 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:39 PM

So where did you go to school out here, and what did you study?

I went to UC San Diego. I know....tough life living in La Jolla, but it IS tough when you're a starving student!! I studied bioengineering and was headed for med school -- did the whole thing, even got admitted. Last minute, I realized I couldn't handle being in school until I was 35 (my friends are just now ALMOST done with med school!), so I went into engineering -- but not bioengineering. Working in wireless communications mostly now. Where abouts are you in San Diego?

#14 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Location:Tennessee but my heart belongs to the Lone Star State!
  • Cert Level:Advanced, NITROX, Getting Ready to go tech
  • Logged Dives:Not enough, never enough!!

Posted 14 May 2005 - 11:16 PM

Hello and Welcome to the gang!!!! :)
Kay

Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution... Erich Topp WW II U Boat Commander

#15 Geek

Geek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 14 May 2005 - 11:32 PM

Welcome!

Regarding your question on equipment, there are lots of threads on equipment here, so I'll limit my advice to saying the gear is expensive. As a result, go slow. Try things before buying, even if it is only in a pool. A lot of gear choices are personal and depend on fit, the kind of diving you will be doing, and other factors.

There are a lot of gear heads involved with scuba so you will have no problem getting advice. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users