• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

New Gal on the Block

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#31 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:52 PM

Hello and  :D to SD.com!!!  I look forward to meeting you on a trip sometime.  Check them out!  :diver:

Thanks! I am so disappointed that I didn't know about this group's FL trip to the Keys for the Memorial weekend earlier! Oh well! Are there a lot of beginner divers on these types of trips? I would want to make sure I actually prepared properly for the trips and have all the equipment I needed, rent the things I needed, make proper reservations for lodging, etc. How do you guys coordinate those kinds of things for your trips?

Welcome to the group!! :welcome:

We get lots of different experience levels of divers on our trips. For example, both the roatan and saba trips I've done with S.D. we have had people that this was their first trip after certification, instructors, and everything in between. The thing I like is everyone is very helpful and willing to answer questions, etc.

Scott

:lam:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#32 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 16 May 2005 - 02:13 PM

We get lots of different experience levels of divers on our trips. For example, both the roatan and saba trips I've done with S.D. we have had people that this was their first trip after certification, instructors, and everything in between. The thing I like is everyone is very helpful and willing to answer questions, etc.

Scott

That's a relief! I can't wait for future trips! I am currently signed up to go to the Keys with my local dive shop group, and probably back to Nassau again in October (loved it so much, have to go back!). Always looking to plan the next trip! Looking forward to meeting you guys! :D

#33 In2h2o

In2h2o

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:850+

Posted 16 May 2005 - 02:20 PM

I would recommend taking a trip to NC and going on some of the wreck dives. In the summer the water gets warm (mid/upper 70's) and viz can rival some of the clearest carribbean dives. But the wrecks are phenomenal! I used to live down there and still do most of my diving there. Take a trip if you get a chance its really worth it!!

#34 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 02:43 PM

I would recommend taking a trip to NC and going on some of the wreck dives. In the summer the water gets warm (mid/upper 70's) and viz can rival some of the clearest carribbean dives. But the wrecks are phenomenal! I used to live down there and still do most of my diving there. Take a trip if you get a chance its really worth it!!

Agreed.... plus it's close to where you live. I know there is lots of room on the August trip, but the July trip still has room as well!!

Scott

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

- Rush (The Trees)

#35 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 16 May 2005 - 02:50 PM

Hello and  :D to SD.com!!!  I look forward to meeting you on a trip sometime.  Check them out!  :welcome:

Thanks! I am so disappointed that I didn't know about this group's FL trip to the Keys for the Memorial weekend earlier! Oh well! Are there a lot of beginner divers on these types of trips? I would want to make sure I actually prepared properly for the trips and have all the equipment I needed, rent the things I needed, make proper reservations for lodging, etc. How do you guys coordinate those kinds of things for your trips?

Oh, always a few newbies on every trip. Heck I was a newbie in Cozumel. Just did my second trip and now I am an old salt all ready. Get your equipment together, packed and ready to roll for the next trip.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#36 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:23 PM

I would recommend taking a trip to NC and going on some of the wreck dives.  In the summer the water gets warm (mid/upper 70's) and viz can rival some of the clearest carribbean dives.  But the wrecks are phenomenal!  I used to live down there and still do most of my diving there.  Take a trip if you get a chance its really worth it!!

Agreed.... plus it's close to where you live. I know there is lots of room on the August trip, but the July trip still has room as well!!

Scott

Thanks for the suggestion. I never thought about diving in NC and certainly didn't know visibility rivaled the Caribbean! Sounds like fun! I will definitely consider the August dive (would go on the July dive, but want to get my OW dives for my cert completed at the end of July on my Keys trip with my local dive shop first). Anyone here going on that trip in Aug?

#37 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:26 PM

Is a 3 mm neoprene wetsuit sufficient for that water temp? I am more than comfortable in 3 mm suit in Caribbean water (low 80's).

#38 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:42 PM

Hey! I just found out my local dive shop has an NC trip in September (www.scubava.com). I'd like to go on an SD.com trip, though so I can meet some of you guys -- you've been such a great help! We'll see what the work schedule will dictate! Thanks again!

#39 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:48 PM

The NC trips maybe a little more advanced then you maybe ready for. I would recommend contacting Wreck Wench as she can tell you for sure. As for who is going, I will be doing the August trip!

Scott

- Albert Einstein

- Rush (The Trees)

#40 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:59 PM

The NC trips maybe a little more advanced then you maybe ready for. I would recommend contacting Wreck Wench as she can tell you for sure. As for who is going, I will be doing the August trip!

Scott

Yeah, you may be right. I noticed everyone is packing Nitrox, and I am nowhere near diving that yet! I'll probably have to tank some more advanced certs and maybe specialize in wrecks as well. I think there are classes for that.

#41 donbadabon

donbadabon

Getting started

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water. Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:23

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:29 PM

I'm in the same boat, so to speak. I was looking ahead to those wreck dives, but no way I can get up to the required minimum 40 dives before then.
There is always next year!

#42 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:30 PM

So where did you go to school out here, and what did you study?

I went to UC San Diego. I know....tough life living in La Jolla, but it IS tough when you're a starving student!! I studied bioengineering and was headed for med school -- did the whole thing, even got admitted. Last minute, I realized I couldn't handle being in school until I was 35 (my friends are just now ALMOST done with med school!), so I went into engineering -- but not bioengineering. Working in wireless communications mostly now. Where abouts are you in San Diego?

Welcome ... I'm a Triton, too. Can't beat that school for location!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#43 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:31 PM

I'm in the same boat, so to speak. I was looking ahead to those wreck dives, but no way I can get up to the required minimum 40 dives before then.
There is always next year!

That, there is!! Hopefully I'll have my AOW and maybe even Rescue certs by next year! :P I know...I'm an eager beaver....

#44 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:33 PM

Welcome ... I'm a Triton, too. Can't beat that school for location!

Hey! Nice to meet a fellow Triton :P Yeah, it was hard to study the first year or two, I'll admit. Sand in my textbooks didn't help when you're an engineering major. I soon learned to study in the dungeons of the Central (now Geisel) Library where all the geeks hid out.....

It's Sun God Festival season there now, you know!

#45 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:47 PM

I hear ya! I was pre-med 'til Bio-Chem ... then decided to switch my major and minor. Graduated in Economics with a minor in Chem. But I never had a class before 9 a.m. because I couldn't miss the surf (lived on campus, then in O.B.).

Congrats on your new certification ... I'm working on my AI (very slowly, apparently).
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users