• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

New Gal on the Block

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#16 drdiver

drdiver

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:26 AM

Welcome aboard to the board!!!

Ye may see a pirate or two here, but they are all fun pirates!!! Argh!!!

:teeth: :diver: :welcome:
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#17 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 15 May 2005 - 06:54 AM

Regarding your question on equipment, there are lots of threads on equipment here, so I'll limit my advice to saying the gear is expensive. As a result, go slow. Try things before buying, even if it is only in a pool. A lot of gear choices are personal and depend on fit, the kind of diving you will be doing, and other factors.

There are a lot of gear heads involved with scuba so you will have no problem getting advice.

Thanks! I know what you'r saying about cost! I've already spent quite a bit on the basics, plus my upcoming trip to the Keys in July -- and probably more when I book a trip back to Nassau in October with my dive shop. Guess I'll be eating cheese and crackers for a while! :teeth:

I'm curious if anyone has had the regulator with the two hoses so that the bubbles don't come out right in your face -- did you like it? Was it worth it to own?

#18 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 15 May 2005 - 06:56 AM

Well, Marvel's point is that you did do the dives -- whether you were certified or not, you did actually do them, so it's accurate to add them to your "number of dives" count (some courses, depending on how advanced you go, require a minimum number of dives). Even if you don't remember all the details or have a buddy or instructor to sign for them, you can still log them. The point of a dive log is to keep track for yourself.

Exactly! :teeth:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#19 Marion1336

Marion1336

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:43

Posted 15 May 2005 - 06:57 AM

Hello and :teeth: to SD.com!!! I look forward to meeting you on a trip sometime. Check them out! :diver:
To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.
-David Viscott

#20 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:29 AM

Hi Tropical and :teeth: to SD. You sound like alot of us. One dive and you are sooooo hooked! Hope you can join us on a dive trip real soon.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#21 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:03 AM

Hello and :teeth: to SD.com!!! I look forward to meeting you on a trip sometime. Check them out! :diver:

Thanks! I am so disappointed that I didn't know about this group's FL trip to the Keys for the Memorial weekend earlier! Oh well! Are there a lot of beginner divers on these types of trips? I would want to make sure I actually prepared properly for the trips and have all the equipment I needed, rent the things I needed, make proper reservations for lodging, etc. How do you guys coordinate those kinds of things for your trips?

#22 markfm

markfm

Getting started

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cert Level:OW (newbie)
  • Logged Dives:7

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:18 PM

Welcome! Have fun buying equipment :teeth: (I didn't go double-hose reg, as a newbie I used what the vast majority of people use, single.)

#23 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:09 PM

Welcome to the board Tropical Diver, yes there are new divers here too, on last years SE Florida gathering we even had people show up who were still in training to work shore support for the beach dives and clean up. :welcome: :hiya:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#24 Geek

Geek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:51 PM

Regarding your question on equipment, there are lots of threads on equipment here, so I'll limit my advice to saying the gear is expensive. As a result, go slow. Try things before buying, even if it is only in a pool. A lot of gear choices are personal and depend on fit, the kind of diving you will be doing, and other factors.

There are a lot of gear heads involved with scuba so you will have no problem getting advice.

Thanks! I know what you'r saying about cost! I've already spent quite a bit on the basics, plus my upcoming trip to the Keys in July -- and probably more when I book a trip back to Nassau in October with my dive shop. Guess I'll be eating cheese and crackers for a while! :welcome:

I'm curious if anyone has had the regulator with the two hoses so that the bubbles don't come out right in your face -- did you like it? Was it worth it to own?

The double hose reg is a styling thing. It is supposed to look like an antique. They are also pitching it as good for photographers who don't want bubbles, but if you can't hold your breath long enough to click a shutter, you have problems this regulator won't solve. Pass on this regulator and go for something normal.

#25 Tolly

Tolly

IT Administrator (Retired)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:*

Posted 15 May 2005 - 04:02 PM

Greetings and Welcome!

SingleDivers can help you plan your personal or family dive trips! Send us an e-mail: SD Travel

"Give me the money that has been spent in war and I will clothe every man, woman, and child in an attire of which kings and queens will be proud. I will build a schoolhouse in every valley over the whole earth. I will crown every hillside with a place of worship consecrated to peace." Charles Sumner

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Be the little boy" Dive_Girl

dilemma.gif

#26 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:30 PM

Welcome Aboard TropicalDiverGirl! :welcome: We all started with zero dives, and everytime we do one we get to add another one to our log. We have divers with all different numbers and welcome all to join us! Hope to see you soon on a trip!
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#27 In2h2o

In2h2o

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:850+

Posted 16 May 2005 - 12:29 PM

I am new to this board and also new to diving. I recently returned from diving at Stuart Cove's in Nassau -- terrific diving! Anyone familiar with them; anyone know their divemasters well?

I dove with Nassau Scuba Center (just down from Sturat Cove) for a little over a month back in '99. I doubt if any of the same crew are still around but just curious if you met anyone from Nassau Scuba Center.

#28 Neptuner

Neptuner

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:03 PM

Howdy Girl!
Welcome to the SD.com gang... dive right in and get your feet wet!
I must confess that I already like your screen name... I'm planning to make mine TropicalRESIDENTDiver someday soon... :D
Don't sweat being new, most of the dive trips cater to all levels... and more importantly, they're just plain fun!

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#29 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:46 PM

The double hose reg is a styling thing. It is supposed to look like an antique. They are also pitching it as good for photographers who don't want bubbles, but if you can't hold your breath long enough to click a shutter, you have problems this regulator won't solve. Pass on this regulator and go for something normal.

Thanks! I'm starting to get the sense that the double hose isn't the way to go for me. Know anything about side-exhaust regulators? Saw one, but heard that it has less features -- i.e. no purge button and you have to tilt to one side to clear the regulator before blowing out. I'm sort of a gadget freak, but seems like the double hose isn't worth the trouble!

#30 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:49 PM

I dove with Nassau Scuba Center (just down from Sturat Cove) for a little over a month back in '99. I doubt if any of the same crew are still around but just curious if you met anyone from Nassau Scuba Center.

No, sorry. I don't think I met anyone from the Nassau Scuba Center unless they moonlight at Stuart Cove's as well. I loved it so much there I think I will be back there on a trip with my local dive shop in October. Apparently some of them work there for part of the year! What a small world!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users