• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

New Gal on the Block

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#46 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:45 PM

:lmao: Welcome to the board. Make sure you plan your next dive trip with us. :D

#47 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:20 PM

I hear ya! I was pre-med 'til Bio-Chem ... then decided to switch my major and minor. Graduated in Economics with a minor in Chem. But I never had a class before 9 a.m. because I couldn't miss the surf (lived on campus, then in O.B.).

Congrats on your new certification ... I'm working on my AI (very slowly, apparently).

Ah yes, OB...then there was PB with Mission Blvd and Garnet....pub crawls and the gold ol' days. Seems like ages ago... I can't believe I didn't take up SD while I was in SD! :welcome:

#48 Seawitch

Seawitch

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:07 AM

Welcome to the board. I am in the DC areas as well. Looking forward to meet you and diving with you soon. :wakawaka:

The NC trips maybe a little more advanced then you maybe ready for.  I would recommend contacting Wreck Wench as she can tell you for sure.

I second this. NC dives are definitely advanced dives. You may consider having your AOW and Nitrox first.

Edited by Seawitch, 17 May 2005 - 09:09 AM.

"The battle of the sexes cannot be won; there is too much fraternization with the enemy" - Henry Kissinger

#49 Seawitch

Seawitch

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:13 AM

I would recommend taking a trip to NC and going on some of the wreck dives. In the summer the water gets warm (mid/upper 70's) and viz can rival some of the clearest carribbean dives. But the wrecks are phenomenal! I used to live down there and still do most of my diving there. Take a trip if you get a chance its really worth it!!

Well, I never encountered 5-10 Ft. viz in the Caribbean, but I agree that the NC wrecks make for incredible dives. I was just down there this past weekend. Is it time to go back? :wakawaka:

"The battle of the sexes cannot be won; there is too much fraternization with the enemy" - Henry Kissinger

#50 In2h2o

In2h2o

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:850+

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:11 AM

The NC trips maybe a little more advanced then you maybe ready for. I would recommend contacting Wreck Wench as she can tell you for sure. As for who is going, I will be doing the August trip!

Scott

:lam:

There are plenty of wrecks that less experienced divers can dive on (just not penetrate). I used to teach down there and there are a lot of other instructors that take their OW students there too. Just enqire with the local dive shops and they will point you in the right direction. The Parker and Indra are two wrecks that I used to take my OW students.

And yes Seawitch, this viz is not always like the caribbean but I have been on dives in Morehead where the viz was better than I had diving San Salvador Isalnd in the Bahamas.

I would recommend a 5mm suit for diving down there. Even though it gets pretty warm during the summer you can hit a thermocline and end up getting pretty chilly.

Im heading out to PB for the 4th of July. Hoping to get some diving in while Im out there, but def going to do the PB pub crawl...we always start out at the Silver Fox. :dazzler:

#51 Seawitch

Seawitch

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:51 AM

And yes Seawitch, this viz is not always like the caribbean but I have been on dives in Morehead where the viz was better than I had diving San Salvador Isalnd in the Bahamas.

Bahamas, huh? Ask me at the HH and I'll tell you why the viz in Bahamas is so bad. :dazzler: But don't get me wrong, I just love NC wreck diving. I dove the City of Houston and the Porta Allegra this past weekend. Awesome dives!!

I would recommend a 5mm suit for diving down there.  Even though it gets pretty warm during the summer you can hit a thermocline and end up getting pretty chilly. 

Agreed!! You can get chilly specially after repetitive dives.

Edited by Seawitch, 17 May 2005 - 11:56 AM.

#52 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:53 AM

I've been meaning to check out NC as a vacation spot overall. I usually like to go abroad if I am going to take time off for fun, but everyone says it's great down there. One of my friends may have a place down there, so maybe I'll get a chance to check it out! I will definitely have to go when it's hottest -- I'm a cold-weather weenie! :teeth:

[quote]Im heading out to PB for the 4th of July. Hoping to get some diving in while Im out there, but def going to do the PB pub crawl...we always start out at the Silver Fox. biggrin.gif[/quote][QUOTE]

Mike - You're going to PB? That's awesome! I sure miss it out there! Of course, the advantage of being on the East coast for me is it's that much closer to the warm waters of the Caribbean! :dazzler:

My family has a place out in O.C., Maryland. I'll probably be working on my tan and cracking crab shells out there about then! Nothing beats blue crab from the Chesapeake!

#53 wreck_maniac

wreck_maniac

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 17 May 2005 - 12:06 PM

Welcome...I'm in NC and do a couple hundred dives a year here. Anytime you wanna come try some of the less advanced wrecks (Indra, Hutton, Suloid, Titan, etc) I'd be happy to tag along as your dive buddy. I"m always interested in getting new divers in NC especially those of the fairer sex :dazzler:
~dale

NC Wreck Divers Dive the Graveyard of the Atlantic

#54 In2h2o

In2h2o

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 12:12 PM

The Outer Banks of NC are a great vacation spot! My family lives down there near Morehead and we have a boat so it is convenient for me to head down and go diving.

I lived in Nags Head for a few years also and they have some great dives too but the water is colder than Morehead.

Im really looking forward to heading out to PB, I have a blast every time I go. This is my first year that Ill be there for the 4th. I hear that we are going to have to camp out or get a very early start to save a spot on the beach.

Sounds like you have a pretty good 4th lined up too. I too love cracking some blue crab.

#55 In2h2o

In2h2o

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 12:20 PM

Bahamas, huh? Ask me at the HH and I'll tell you why the viz in Bahamas is so bad. :dazzler: But don't get me wrong, I just love NC wreck diving. I dove the City of Houston and the Porta Allegra this past weekend. Awesome dives!!

I would recommend a 5mm suit for diving down there.  Even though it gets pretty warm during the summer you can hit a thermocline and end up getting pretty chilly. 

Agreed!! You can get chilly specially after repetitive dives.

Seawitch

Thats great! How was the diving(temp/viz)? Any trouble getting out?

I was down a few weeks ago but it was too windy to make it out. Im heading down Memorial Day weekend to try again!

#56 Seawitch

Seawitch

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 01:12 PM

Mike - I hear you. I was blown out of two trips in April.

The conditions this weekend could not have been better for this time of year.

Sat. City of Houston- Air temp - 72-74, clear skies, 3-4 ft. waves. Water temp. was 69-72, viz was approx. 50 ft..

Sun. - Porta Allegra - Air temps. around 70-72; no wind (those waters were flat, yeah!!), water temp was around 69-72, but there was a thermocline at 55ft. There was a slight current at the surface, but calm at the bottom. I have not dowloaded my log, so I am not sure what was the temp at the bottom. But I dove in a 5mm and I was very comfortable. Viz was not as good as the day before, but it was still very good.

We had no problems getting out and we had pretty easy rides both days. Two days of awesome dives, I am a happy girl, :dazzler:

Where are you diving on Memorial Day weekend?

#57 Seawitch

Seawitch

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 01:14 PM

Tropicaldivergirl/Bahamasita,

Did you change your screen name?

#58 In2h2o

In2h2o

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 01:26 PM

Probally heading out to the Lobster Wreck and some of the ledges/rocks on one of the days to do some spearfishing and if its not too choppy Ill head out to the U-352 and/or Papoose on the other.

Glad you had some good conditions. Im looking forward to getting wet :dazzler:

#59 wreck_maniac

wreck_maniac

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 17 May 2005 - 01:53 PM

I'll be in Morehead Memorial Day weekend.....keep me posted, maybe we can hook up on one of the boats.
~dale

NC Wreck Divers Dive the Graveyard of the Atlantic

#60 In2h2o

In2h2o

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 02:07 PM

What boat do you usually dive with? Out of what marina? Where are you planning on diving?

I usually take my own 24' Cuddy out or go out on friends but somtimes I like to go out with charters (more room). Let me know.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users