• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

1st Annual Texas SD Summer Round-UP - Lake Travis

• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

#16 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:07 PM

For any of you who, like me, are camping challenged in the heat, and want a roommate in a local h/motel, let me know (post preferable)

Since no one has volunteered to be your roommate and I feel the need to accept this assignment in good faith for all of my fellow brothers on the board!!!!

DBD

:welcome:

DBD - I guess you missed the thread in which we thrashed Tom for equally opening up a nasty little can of suggestive worms. Or do you two just thrive on stirring up cr@p???? :cool1:

Seriously though, if you're more interested in a h/motel than camping, let me know and once I get the final list of names of folks who are planning on attending, I'll see about pairing people up with roommates if they want one.

Glad to see that you're planning on attending though!

#17 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:12 PM

For those who were at the Memorial Day weekend event in Athens, they know and understand that my tent comfortablly sleeps no one!! So, it is either 'roughing it' as they say, my car, or motel city!!

And yes, I rather enjoy stirring the $#*!, it gives me something to do after not being able to post for 9 days!!!!!!!!

:welcome:

DBD
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#18 ladyfish

ladyfish

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:5

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:24 PM

:lmao: sounds fantastic great perfect terrific I will plan as much as poosible to be at the lake that weekend. have it on my calendar. :respect:

#19 texasdiverdude

texasdiverdude

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Cert Level:Cave, Trimix
  • Logged Dives:774

Posted 15 June 2005 - 06:18 AM

I'll be there to :welcome: , and :hiya: , but will probably not camp.

#20 bjknight64

bjknight64

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced And Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:many

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:54 AM

oK then, starfish this would be my first event too so if you want to car pool up there so we can break the ice together might not be a bad idea. Im coming from Memorial Park Area in houston.

As for my accomodations, i have a bunch of friends with places on the lake and in austin that did or still go to UT. I will more than likely be staying with on of them.

hope to get some good dives in, i dove travis a few years ago but i didnt have on a wet suit and the thermocline is no joke so i missed out on some of the deeper stuff. i think a night dive would be neat and at the dam.

:birthday: :birthday: :birthday:

#21 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:17 AM

To drive up together would be great. I am not getting down to Houston until August 1st and I have to see how everything is going. If I am all settled when I start orientation on the 8th, I'll have no problem leaving for the weekend. I'll be living in the West University area, so not too far from you.

What's the temperature like in Lake Travis? How big a difference with the thermocline? I'm from CT and just dove in 57 degree water, so I have a feeling it will feel like bath water to me :birthday: Also, what's the vis like?

If I come I would need a motel.

Sorry I can't fully commit, but if I have a ton of work to do the first weekend, it probably wouldn't be good for me to leave, though I do have Friday "off". Just keep me posted on prices and what's available.

I REALLY want to come and that usually means I make it happen :birthday:

#22 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:25 AM

The viz is about 10 feet on a good day (before classes stir up the bottom). There are a few days in the spring and fall when it gets up to 20-30 feet. My hydrologist friends tell me that it's not really a thermocline, but it feels like one. The drop is about 10 degrees and in the summer you hit the first at about 30 feet. The second at about 70.

My sister lives in West U. You going to Rice?
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#23 bjknight64

bjknight64

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced And Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:many

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:37 AM

ok so yea, its def colder up north, i just checked the water temps at the lake its
83-84 on the surface and about 65 at 60 ft. Im from houston but both of my parents are from Cuba so i guess im a 81-85 degree warm water person.

the costs are your park entrace fee which is like 10 bucks then rentals if you need any, motels prob start at $39 and up. maybe not during the summer by the lake maybe a little more.

prob one of the most inexpensive dive trips that could be done in texas. :birthday:

#24 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:21 AM

If I come I would need a motel.

SF-

When it gets a little closer, let me know if you will definitely be going, and I'll help get some accomodations arrangements set up (and then you can let me know if you want to split the cost of accomodations with a roommate or not). In the mean time, if you need to reach me, feel free to send an email to thesassyrabbit@singledivers.com.

Talk soon,
Katie
SR

#25 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 15 June 2005 - 11:42 AM

Platapus Man has just informed me of good news. The beloved Oasis is already begun rebuilding and is open for business.

Here is a suggestion: We have a community meal at the lake of fajitas and stuff as suggested by DrDiver, the clean up and head over to the Oasis on Saturday Night for over indulgence of ale and conversation. Before everyone breaks up for the night.

If we go as a group, we will need to give them fair warning.

:fish: makes me feel like dancing. :fish2:

#26 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:39 PM

Very cool! Let me know if I need to bring anything.

#27 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:59 PM

Platapus Man has just informed me of good news. The beloved Oasis is already begun rebuilding and is open for business.

Here is a suggestion: We have a community meal at the lake of fajitas and stuff as suggested by DrDiver, the clean up and head over to the Oasis on Saturday Night for over indulgence of ale and conversation. Before everyone breaks up for the night.

If we go as a group, we will need to give them fair warning.

:cool1: makes me feel like dancing. :welcome:

Trimix is correct; the Oasis is currently open for business on the Starlight Patio with a light menu. I spoke with the manager, and the rebuilding of the fire-damaged areas is scheduled to take about two months, so it's just possible that most work will be completed by the time of the All-Texas Dive dates.

He very much would like to handle our business that Saturday, but as TM said, we need to give them fair warning. He even said that they could handle Singlediver Sunsets if we get them a recipe for their catering unit!

This is a great opportunity for SDers to show support for an area landmark that many of us who dive and/or got certed at Travis have come to know and enjoy.

What do you say, folks? Oasis on Saturday night?

PlatypusMan

..presented in glorious Platypiivision.

#28 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:08 PM

I'm on and I mean it, Extreme Monotreme.

To drink at the Oasis

With Single Divers around

Is about as good as Christmas, I'll be bound!!!

(we'll contact that lad with the complete recipe for the Single Diver
Sunset)

The Divin' Pyrate
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#29 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2005 - 11:50 AM

Drdiver, I will be attending Rice. I'll be enrolled at Jones, their MBA program, for the next two years.

Sassy, I will keep you posted on my status. If you could pair me with a roommate that would be great. Anything to keep the cost down. :) I'm a poor student again :P

And I'm always up for a few drinks :lmao:

#30 divecutie

divecutie

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:06 PM

I'll be there as well! It's only a couple hours from dallas, and I will definitely be camping, Who's going to brave the outdoors with me!? By outdoors, I mean with a tent, sleeping on the ground isn't quite as appealing. :lmao:
Why not seize the pleasure at once? How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, foolish preparation!
Jane Austen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users