• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What Do You Think?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for keeping this thread possitive..even funny you guys :welcome:
but really we dont need to be the internet cops here.. there are special web sites for finding people in your area that may be harmful to you and others...use them ..keep SD.com a fun informative place.

I have talked with WW and some Mods before I posted this. WW and Neptuner say HiYa from NC :welcome: .
furthermore. the title of this thread is not for any thread to be removed that has already been posted but to get a general Idea of what YOU SD.com members would like to see on here and what you dont want to see on here in the future.

Thank You again B2B
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#17 Marion1336

Marion1336

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:43

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:16 PM

Ok, so who told about that third eye in the back of my head?

CUTE! I find three-eyed bald men extremely sexy! :welcome:
To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.
-David Viscott

#18 drdiver

drdiver

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for keeping this thread possitive..even funny you guys lmao.gif
but really we dont need to be the internet cops here.. there are special web sites for finding people in your area that may be harmful to you and others...use them ..keep SD.com a fun informative place.

I have talked with WW and some Mods before I posted this. WW and Neptuner say HiYa from NC wavey.gif .
furthermore. the title of this thread is not for any thread to be removed that has already been posted but to get a general Idea of what YOU SD.com members would like to see on here and what you dont want to see on here in the future.

All things being said, in this instance you have a possible (albeit highly unlikely IMHO) situation where children could have been exposed to harm. I agree that I don't think it was appropriate to post what was posted the way it was posted. It could have been done in a more discreet manner and still informed people. In this instance, I don't think that providing information was the motivation. It wasn't slander, or more accurately libel, (everything that was said was true)-- just mean spiritedness. And that is really not in the spirit of Single Divers.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#19 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for keeping this thread possitive..even funny you guys  :lmao:

:welcome: Mike, for bringing this up. Couldn't agree with you more. Have fun in Athens :welcome: I would come too but already had plans with family in Corpus.

Que :welcome:

BTW what happen to the color button? I can't type in color anymore?

#20 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:52 PM

CUTE! I find three-eyed bald men extremely sexy! :welcome:

Thanks! Plus I can always keep and eye on the boat!!! :welcome:
Scott

:lam:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#21 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:25 PM

or someone knows of someway I could be harmed

That is the point of freedom of information in a public fourm. Bringing information to light should not be a point of contention, information if true is simply information. Make what judgement you want at the information when it becomes available. But, Please don't walk around life with blinders and earmuffs on. There are bad people in the world, some reform others don't. Keep a watchful eye.

Information is protection in making better decisions, for you, your loved ones, and your well being, and in keeping you safe. It is also the point that makes your thinking on this point flawed.

With that said, I don't want to insight the Fonda crowd. If the information is false or incorrect, then take it down. If its true, let the masses be informed.

:welcome: damn its great knowing i'm right on this.

#22 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:25 PM

I'm no judge, no jury, no executioner for there is truly only one of those!!!

Some things are better left unsaid and to that......................................

DBD
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#23 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:29 PM

angel.gif damn its great knowing i'm right on this.

You are ABSOLUTELY right, Steve, I agree with you 100%. Will miss seeing you this weekend. Looking forward to Travis--I can smell those fajitas now....
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#24 Perkolater

Perkolater

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EANx
  • Logged Dives:28

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:35 PM

information if true is simply information.

True, BUT just because information exists does not mean it has to be (or even should be) publicly shared.

Oh well... we could debate this forever.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... that was fun!!"

#25 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:39 PM

I realize this diverges from B2B's "keep it light and funny" .... but well.... you asked for some feedback....

Since I DO know what B2B is talking about..... and since I seem to often take the dissenting viewpoint..... I think the intention of this thread was nice, but agreeing with DD above, I think all it is doing is calling more attention to the subject. But, since you asked.....

I agree that the info. posted was not merely information, but intended to create some chaos. In my mind, the answer to B2B's question is yes and no. In this particular case, the info. could have relevance to those with children, and despite some comments, there HAVE been children on these types of weekends.

I don't necessarily need to know if you beat your spouse (I'll be checking your background myself if I decide to have that kind of relationship with you) or robbed someone (I don't carry enough $$ on me for you to get much if you come my direction) or if you stole something from the store. I personally think all of those things are wrong, wrong, wrong, but they don't impact me or my family on a dive weekend trip. However, when I hear about convictions that involve minors, I have the opinion that it could indeed be relevant when there is a possibility that a member may bring their child/ren on a trip (again, it has happened!).

I don't agree personally that the situation was WELL handled. I do think it is fair to say that the individual in question has agreed to openly discuss the situation and therefore the topic won't be discussed in the thread; however, I don't have a problem with the facts being presented in concept.

Similarly, I didn't have a general issue with people posting things that they think the board could do differently or better, or presenting their opinions about things that did or didn't go well on trips - as long as it is done in a polite way; I have an issue with people who take it too far and become nasty. Make you point, allow others to respond, and move on.

On a related topic... I don't think it's wrong to have an opinion or make a judgement call for yourself (or family) on info. that is discovered. It would be crazy world if we didn't each have boundaries in some areas. Where my boundaries are loose, yours might not be, and vice versa.

In the end, for me, it's all about moderation - not necessarily moderators.

Have a great 4th - take pictures when you sink the rocket thing...

#26 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:17 PM

CUTE! I find three-eyed bald men extremely sexy! :banghead:

Thanks! Plus I can always keep and eye on the boat!!! :2cool:
Scott

:lam:

Well, then, at the risk of posting something negative from someone's past...

Tony needs one of those third eyes :lmao:
"

#27 Mishelle

Mishelle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Cert Level:My life is only complete when Im 150 ft deep!
  • Logged Dives:lost count....actually lost log too :(

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:37 PM

My attorney has recommended that I pled the fifth! :banghead:
:) Mishelle

The best day I ever had was face to face with a man and a shark, and wondering who was gonna bite me first- Poison Pen

Divers Wanted! Come dive with SD!!

#28 blacktar

blacktar

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OWSI, Normoxic Trimix, full cave
  • Logged Dives:700

Posted 30 June 2005 - 06:55 PM

While I tend to think that if we don't learn from the mistakes of the past than we are doomed to repeat them. I don't think that anybody really cares that I got a MIP (minor in possesion of beer) in college. But if I were a serial rapist signed up to go on a dive boat with several ladies? I think that the INVOLVED, or people at risk have the right to know. Perhaps a PM or a personal phone call would be more appropriate. I tend to shy away from serious emails. Emails are forever, and just might come back to bite you in the tail. That's my 2 psi, but I think I've said too much.
Patrick
BLACKTAR
"The edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over." Hunter S. Thompson

#29 Mishelle

Mishelle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Cert Level:My life is only complete when Im 150 ft deep!
  • Logged Dives:lost count....actually lost log too :(

Posted 30 June 2005 - 06:58 PM

I was doing some of my duties and I think I came across what you are talking about.

My feeling is that there are certain things I would absolutely HAVE to know. I do believe that we all have made honest and stupid mistakes in our lives that we truly regret, but some things can not be so easily overlooked.

So I think to a degree, yes. I want to know..... they say ignorance is bliss, but is it really, and at what cost?
:) Mishelle

The best day I ever had was face to face with a man and a shark, and wondering who was gonna bite me first- Poison Pen

Divers Wanted! Come dive with SD!!

#30 ddierolf

ddierolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:37 PM

My attorney has recommended that I pled the fifth! :dancing:

My friends recommend that I drink the fifth! :thankyou:

Which end is up?