• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Silly mask question

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 BeachBunny

BeachBunny

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Not enough but I am working on it!

Posted 15 July 2005 - 03:56 PM

Alright here's the deal....i have cleaned my mask with toothpaste and tried 3 different defoggers, while my mask is minty fresh I still can't see! I had no idea how bad it was until my dive master in Playa del Carmen changed my mask at the end of the first dive. I has no idea how much I was missing out on! Any suggestions? I am a natural blonde so please type slowly. Thanks!!
"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different" CoCo Chanel

beachbunny@singledivers.com

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Ghandi

#2 sun50

sun50

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:advanced, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:95

Posted 15 July 2005 - 04:15 PM

BB;
There are no silly questions, so ask away. Someone here will have enough experience to possibly figure it out.
And welcome to the Board!
Sun50

#3 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 15 July 2005 - 04:19 PM

Well, I'm not going to be rude and ask you if you wear glasses....

:lmao:

What you probably need to do is remove the mold release phthalates from the plastic lens surface.

Toothpaste is a good mask cleaner when it contains a mild abrasive such as calcium salts or diatomaceous earth. These toothpastes tend to be cloudy in appearance. Many modern toothpastes as a cost cutting measure have removed these materials and are much less efficient in mask cleaning.

What I would suggest is a product called Soft Scrub made by the Chlorox Company (it does not contain bleach). Get the Orange Grease Cutting formula. It is available at most major grocery stores at a reasonable cost. Use it without water and rub it on the inside of your mask lens for at least a minute. Then rinse thoroughly. This product is a very mild abrasive (it will not scratch PVC lens which are not as hard as most scuba masks.

Good luck and let us know what works out.

DrD
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 15 July 2005 - 04:21 PM

What brand is it and model? It may be that it is made from a certain type of plastic vs. silicon seal that is causing the mask to fog.

Several other ideas come to mind...do you wear makeup and/or sunscreen when you dive? Sometimes they fog the mask despite the mask defogging steps you are going thru?

Also are you using some mask defog before each dive? You usually have to do that as well as the toothpaste trick.

And finally...if using some sort of mask defog are you rinsing it off so that you don't leave a portective barrier on the lense? (I'm blonde too and it took me years to learn to not 'over' rinse my mask!)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#5 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2005 - 04:27 PM

There's a commercial dive product called Sea Scrub that I've used successfully prior to using a defogger on my masks.

Your other possible solution is to get a GEM suit. :lmao:

PlatypusMan

..presented in glorious Generation II Platypiivision.

Posted Image
More than a simple defogging was needed here.

#6 BeachBunny

BeachBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Not enough but I am working on it!

Posted 15 July 2005 - 04:48 PM

Wench, I am using the Tilos M580 Full Panoramic Mask....I think maybe I am rising too much of the defogger off! I like things squeaky clean and apparently that is not what you are supposed to do with a mask eh? Thanks a lot and I will try some of all of your suggestions!
"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different" CoCo Chanel

beachbunny@singledivers.com

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Ghandi

#7 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 04:53 PM

As far as defogger goes, smear it WITHOUT water in your mask and then just swirl water in it until the foam is gone. That's all you need to do. It's hard to remove all your defogger, but it is possible. Defogger is basically a nonionic surfactant (like Dawn dishwashing detergent and Johnson's baby soap). It coats the mask lens and as water condenses (makes those little drops that fog it up), it lowers the surface tension of the water droplets (that's the force that makes them be droplets) and they then flow together no longer making a droplet that fogs. Eventually it will roll down your mask, removing the fog. Spit, the poor man's defogger works the same way. Protein in the spit bridges the droplets and make them spread out and eventually form big drops that roll down the mask.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#8 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 15 July 2005 - 07:16 PM

Dennis (drdiver) gave you some excellent advice. SoftScrub works wonders. The other trick you can use (after you've scrubbed your mask with Soft Scrub) is to always start with a dry mask. Smear Johnson's No More Tears (full strength) on the inside of the mask lenes (dish soap also works well, but can burn your eyes). Let it dry in the mask. Let it sit over night if possible (letting it sit for weeks isn't a bad idea (except it means you aren't diving). Rinse it lightly just before getting in the water.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#9 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 15 July 2005 - 08:24 PM

BB,

Head the advice of the good doctor. I too recently purchased a new mask and was expierencing major fogging issues. I gave it to the good doc while we were in Athens over Memorial Day weekend and after he worked on it for me, I have know issues since.

By the way- - - - :twist: drdiver!!!!!

DBD
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#10 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 08:34 PM

By the way- - - - thankyou.gif drdiver!!!!!

De nada, John, divers are all brothers of the Waters.

Whatever I do for you, I would do for any, as they (and you) would do for me.

(I gotta get this gear in the bag--I got my tunes, books, and journal picked, gears double, even triple checked checked--cab's coming at 4:00 AM--I don't think I'll go to bed tonight--the experience is too great, the anticipation of blue water--FISH!!!--and the whole enchilada.) I could see a WHALE SHARK!!!

Did you know? When I see fish, I smile and my mask leaks and I have to clear it?

It's too much. Diving is great. The people are great. Life is Great!!!! My sweetie's picking me up next Saturday--even better.

Man. I'll post an email from Utila--I gotta share it all. My God I love Diving and Divers.

Ciao,

Dennis

#11 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 15 July 2005 - 08:37 PM

By the way- - - - thankyou.gif drdiver!!!!!

De nada, John, divers are all brothers of the Waters.

Whatever I do for you, I would do for any, as they (and you) would do for me.

(I gotta get this gear in the bag--I got my tunes, books, and journal picked, gears double, even triple checked checked--cab's coming at 4:00 AM--I don't think I'll go to bed tonight--the experience is too great, the anticipation of blue water--FISH!!!--and the whole enchilada.) I could see a WHALE SHARK!!!

Did you know? When I see fish, I smile and my mask leaks and I have to clear it?

It's too much. Diving is great. The people are great. Life is Great!!!! My sweetie's picking me up next Saturday--even better.

Man. I'll post an email from Utila--I gotta share it all. My God I love Diving and Divers.

Ciao,

Dennis

God speed and safe and wonderful diving to you my friend!!!!!!!! Look forward to the trip report, have a wonderful time!

DBD
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#12 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 15 July 2005 - 08:40 PM

BB
Thanks for starting this thread...its the best new mask cleaning, defog perscription, Thread I have ever heard.....I almost dread buying a new mask after getting the old one Just right!

B2B
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 15 July 2005 - 08:59 PM

BB
Thanks for starting this thread...its the best new mask cleaning, defog perscription, Thread I have ever heard.....I almost dread buying a new mask after getting the old one Just right!

B2B

I agree...and my long time favorite is torn and starting to give out...but at least I know I can get the new one I'll be getting 'cleaned and prepped' thanks to all the great tips! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#14 sun50

sun50

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:advanced, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:95

Posted 15 July 2005 - 09:26 PM

I just keep picking up great tips from great people :twist:
Doc..have a great and safe trip.
Doug

#15 Mishelle

Mishelle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Cert Level:My life is only complete when Im 150 ft deep!
  • Logged Dives:lost count....actually lost log too :(

Posted 16 July 2005 - 04:56 AM

Well ummm.... whatever happend to good ol fashion spit? lol

We used something called Cat Crap.....ites the name of the product, dont get gross! lol

But I bow to DrD! He is the new Yoda! :twist:
:) Mishelle

The best day I ever had was face to face with a man and a shark, and wondering who was gonna bite me first- Poison Pen

Divers Wanted! Come dive with SD!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users