• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Good & bad in OW training

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:21 PM

Aloha P!
I am CERTAIN you are not a pig!
Kona IS a long way from Florida, but I'll see all you guys at Trace's gig in Ginnie Springs!

PS Which Blue Grotto do you refer to at the bottom of your posts?

The Blue Grotto is a spring about 30-40 minutes south of Ginnie Springs. I did some of my recent skills dives there for Nitrox/Adv. Nitrox.

#32 konascubagirl

konascubagirl

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 December 2005 - 11:26 PM

Aloha P!
I am CERTAIN you are not a pig!
Kona IS a long way from Florida, but I'll see all you guys at Trace's gig in Ginnie Springs!

PS Which Blue Grotto do you refer to at the bottom of your posts?

The Blue Grotto is a spring about 30-40 minutes south of Ginnie Springs. I did some of my recent skills dives there for Nitrox/Adv. Nitrox.

Ahhh....
I thought maybe you were talking about the Blue Grotto in Saipan! Thanks for the clarification!

KSG

#33 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 11:27 PM

No... I keep my divin' local. Buyin SCUBA gear takes all my money.

#34 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 20 December 2005 - 11:28 PM

I would anwser the question this way, my OW training was enough to enable one to go out and have a fair chance of staying safe enough to get the experience that one needs. The is the "license to learn" concept that is true in many activities including flying.

However, the flying instructional model is more the one I'd rather see in diving. You know from the start that it will take many hours, some $'s, and many skills to master and knowledge to obtain before you are able to pass. At the end of the process you still only have a "licence to learn" but everyone coming out of this training is at a fairly high level and their behavior is more standardized.

With diving some will come out just barely able to dive, will not be exposed to many essential skills and for those who don't dive often some may never have those skills or even know that they are lacking. Many will however turn out just fine through self-motivation just like in any other endeavor. The things that I found to be missing were probably the same ones already mentioned, gas management, understanding tide/current predictions and applying them, different finning techniques, bouyancy skills, navigation skills, buddy skills, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users