• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Unforced stupidity

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 30 July 2005 - 07:32 PM

One of the many stupid things I've done in my diving career, and this one I've done several times, is whilst taking my drysuit off to pull the left suit arm inside-out over my hand, only to realise I've left my computer watch on my wrist. Can't pull the suit off because of the watch, can't pull the suit back on without help.

Anyone else care to be open and honest?

#2 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 30 July 2005 - 08:07 PM

Well I've tried to pull my wetsuit off with my knife still clamped to my leg. Similar to your problem but I was able to fix it myself.

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,666 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 July 2005 - 09:27 PM

In my case I tore my drysuit neoprene neckseal despite being VERY careful and knowing how expensive they are to fix. But taking the suit on an off 5x a day on a liveaboard can lead to a careless slip and well the rest is history... :unsure:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 30 July 2005 - 09:52 PM

Then there was the friend who used his pee valve without first checking it was secure (not that you can once the suit's on). That was bad enough, but he also didn't close the valve once disaster happened, which meant he had a doubly flooded suit. So heavy that he couldn't get out of the water, but had to have a couple of VERY good friends help him to get the suit off in the sea.

#5 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 31 July 2005 - 11:12 AM

Before going to a scuba flea market I was going through my old dive stuff to see what I could sell and I found a hooded vest so put it on to see if it still fit. As we all know neoprem shrinks :twist: and it was to tight. I grabbed the bottom and pulled it up over my head but couldn't get it over my shoulders so there I was hands in the air, couldn't get it up and couldn't get it down, oh did I mention I was home alone.

Back in the days of steel 72's we would swim to the anchor rode on snorkel to conserve air, exhale and decend only to find out we hadn't switched to the regulator. No one would say anything about us being stupid because we had all done it! :lmao: :dazzler:

Edited by Latitude Adjustment, 31 July 2005 - 11:13 AM.

I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#6 sun50

sun50

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:advanced, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:95

Posted 31 July 2005 - 12:28 PM

Does anyone remember the old drysuits where you had to roll the top of the bottom and the bottom of the top together to make the seal; and it had the hood attached? I tried one on a lot of years ago, but forgot to powder the inside. When I tried to get it off, it got stuck on my head, and I nearly suffocated in it. My brother had to cut it off, so I ended up paying for it but it was unusable after the that.
Haven't been in a dry suit since.

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,666 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 12:40 PM

Well this is first for me...after diving 4 boat dives a day in Cozy this past week...yes 4 boat dives a day doing both the morning and the afternoon dives with our operator everyday...by the 4th day you are VERY relaxed about falling into the water diving...and VERY relaxed in general...i.e. translation...tired. So it was the 8th dive or so of the trip and I went to giant stride in...hit the water and realized I couldn't see to well. I'm thinking I forgot to clean the defog off my mask when I realize I had just simply forgotten my mask in general!

Coming back up towards the boat Dennis aka Scubaman was laughing his butt off as he had seen me jump in sans the mask but said it was like slow motion trying to yell at me! :lmao:

Fortunately only Dennis saw it so ssshhhh!!! I'd like to keep it that way...the gang would REALLY give me a hard time if they knew I dove with my invisible mask on that dive....kinda like SuperDave's invisible fins on our first SD Cozy trip! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#8 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 31 July 2005 - 01:06 PM

I know that I've forgotten my fins at least once. I also know someone that left their cellphone in their dry suit to have it fall down to a sensitive area during the dive. It was on vibrate and went off as that person was getting onto the boat. Instant thrill.

I'll never forget that story.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,666 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 01:25 PM

I know that I've forgotten my fins at least once. I also know someone that left their cellphone in their dry suit to have it fall down to a sensitive area during the dive. It was on vibrate and went off as that person was getting onto the boat. Instant thrill.

I'll never forget that story.

:lmao: :dazzler: :twist: :cool2: :lmao: :lmao:

formerly...

#10 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 31 July 2005 - 08:42 PM

I've begun a descent on one or two occasions and forgot to switch to the regulator instead of the snorkle.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#11 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 01 August 2005 - 07:42 AM

Let's see:

Nearly jumping in without fins! My dive computer being strapped to my manifold on my tanks (Great storage area so that I don't forget to put it on but not very visible when diving, LOL). I will occasionally forget to plug in in the battery for my canister light.

Many of the other things that I have seen in this thread I am guilty of at one time or another as well. This is why I hate being rushed into the water.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#12 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 01 August 2005 - 07:49 AM

Okay for me it was on one of the few times I have done any NC diving. I was on the U-352 I think, (well it was a sub anyway). I was having such trouble getting down, at 114' I realized I did not have my weight belt on.........IKES.....
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#13 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:27 AM

I know a certain someone on the board who dove with her car keys.... including the remote.... only to discover that the remote didn't work after the dives (doh!)....

I've gotten in without fins, without mask .... and once took my mask off underwater to correct some flooding issues. For some reason, as soon as I took it off, I took a breath in .... through my nose.... and thought I might actually choke to death underwater coughing, etc. In the mean time, I dropped my mask. Luckily we were in only about 60 ft. of water so it was easily recovered, but sheesh.... the rest of the dive was marred by my embarrassment!

#14 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:36 AM

...and once took my mask off underwater to correct some flooding issues. For some reason, as soon as I took it off, I took a breath in .... through my nose.... and thought I might actually choke to death underwater coughing, etc. In the mean time, I dropped my mask. Luckily we were in only about 60 ft. of water so it was easily recovered, but sheesh.... the rest of the dive was marred by my embarrassment!

I did that during my OW cert - during the 'remove and replace mask' skill. Unfortunately, everytime I coughed, I took in another nose full of water. :cheerleader:

Not a good feeling!!!
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#15 Warthog

Warthog

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox, & Night
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:16 AM

I started to descend (twice) with my mask off.

I jumped in the pool one time with a class only to discover I still had my glasses on.

I fell in at Crystal River with my glasses on, trying to set an ancor.

:cheerleader:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users