• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Unforced stupidity

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:23 AM

I've begun a descent on one or two occasions and forgot to switch to the regulator instead of the snorkle.

Variation: I was doing air shares and went to go back to primary.... It was my snorkel... and I was still at twelve feet in the pool, LOL. The whole class laughed at that one. They even laughed at the disgusted look on my face as switched from snorkel to primary.

Edited by Diverbrian, 01 August 2005 - 10:25 AM.

A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#17 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:23 AM

well I still like to wear a weightbelt when diving instead of the removable pouches. but as much as I like the weightbelt it dosnt do any good if I dont put it on before diving in..... Dah! It happened this year Again! :welcome:

B2B
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#18 dive_addict

dive_addict

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI, Trimix
  • Logged Dives:2.7

Posted 01 August 2005 - 06:27 PM

It never fails... get all the gear on, walk to the water, ahhh crap no weight belt! :teeth:
Life's a beach, then you dive!

#19 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:10 PM

Oh, and there was the time I finished a night shore dive with a bunch of buddies and it was late and everybody skeedadled quickly before I realized I wasn't unzipped. Drove home in my drysuit, and then it went like this:

Me: (Knocking on roommate's door at 1am) Louie! Louie! Are you home?

Louie: (Muffled, tired answer from the other side) huh, What?!

Me: I need to be unzipped!

Louie: WHAT?!!

Me: Can you unzip me please?!

Louie: NO!! GO AWAY YOU **^%$# WIERDO!

Me: No, seriously, I need to get out of my drysuit!

Louie: *&!*@^%$ YOU!

Me: Hey! Come on, help me out!

Louie: (After a minute of silence, carefully opens his bedroom door just a crack and eyeballs me carefully but with much suspicion, sees my dilema is legit and unzips my drysuit.)

Me: Thanks!

Louie: *&^%#@!
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#20 overseas

overseas

Getting started

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Board Status:im here
  • Cert Level:Full Cave
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:00 AM

There was one time when diving off Camp Lejeune NC, I rolled INTO the boat. For some reason I was facing outboard, pulled on my gloves and mask then THUD, laying on my back in the boat. That was almost three years ago, I am still gettnig the jokes for that one!

Edited by overseas, 02 August 2005 - 12:00 AM.

#21 maninthesea

maninthesea

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Cert Level:Trimix and Rebreather also Padi Inst and TDI Inst Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Quit that long ago-Nothing left to prove

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:32 AM

I've done my share of Oops I forgot my ________ So far I have done a dive without a second stage becuase I took off the full face com mask and forgot to put on the regular second stage before going to the dive site. Yesterday we switched from boat dive to beach dive so I needed to grab boots and rental fins from the shop. I made it all the way out to the edge of the reef and stepped into the deep water the realised my mask was still in the foot pocket of my full footers. So I did a 1 hour dive without a mask.
Interesting side note- I discovered that if you close your eyes to the point that the eyleashes are slighlty obscuring your vision then squint you can see much better underwater. I could read my guages and dive watch!

But my favorite stupid underwater was a few years ago when we had 2 people that HAD to go to the Tokai Maru. So we scheduled them for 1 dive early in the morning prior to the normal charter. It was just to be me with two japanese customers. So I called my buddy chuck who was itching to try out his new Gates housing. about halfway thru my normal route one of the divers was down to 1000psi. So we headed back to the mooring. When we got there he was at 500psi. This was one of the japanese that was taught that at 500 psi you are OUT of air and you can no longer breath on your own regulator. So I give him mine and switch to my alternate. Then his buddy decided he was out of air also. Meenwhile chuck shows up just in time to capture me haning off my second regulator and calmly getting the OK sign from both divers. Then the lightbulb goes off- I need to get a breath now and I just gave away both of my regulators. I quickly found the first guys reg and used it for the safteystop and accent.

I could come up with more but they would probably just bore you.

Cheers Jim
Tip of the day- Never suck on a loaded gun!

#22 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 02 August 2005 - 05:01 PM

Then there was the day I went for some local UK diving and only realised when the boat was on station, 2 hours sail from dock, that I hadn't refitted my drysuit feed hose after my return from a tropical holiday. No-one had a spare, so I did two dives in considerable discomfort. Only men will know what I went through.

#23 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 02 August 2005 - 05:28 PM

Let's see...

dumb things I've done.

Gone in without a mask--one or twice.

No reg in mouth---at least twice.

No weight-- once

Diving with an idiot buddy--priceless!!!!
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#24 CaliD

CaliD

Getting started

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Dry Suit
  • Logged Dives:~100

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:26 PM

You guys have no idea how much better I feel.
Having never had a standing dive buddy, I've never heard these stories.
It is good to know I'm not the only one who has descended with my snorkel in mouth and not
my regulator. And the two times I've missed that last quarter inch zip on my dry suit, and ended up diving not so dry.

I so look forward to diving with you all.

#25 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:21 AM

Diving with an idiot buddy--priceless!!!!

HEY!!!!

...Ummmm..errr

Never mind.

Platypusman

#26 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,666 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:30 AM

It never fails... get all the gear on, walk to the water, ahhh crap no weight belt! :wakawaka:

And that's a LOT of gear! :P

But the taking off part can still be fun! :-D

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#27 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,666 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:34 AM

I could come up with more but they would probably just bore you.

Cheers Jim

WHAT are you NUTS???? I'm still laughing at your post! :wakawaka: MORE MORE MORE!!! -ww

p.s. and I thought my sides were going to completely split after visualizing Greg's drysuit dilemma!!! :-D

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#28 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 05 August 2005 - 07:51 PM

One of the dumbest things I've ever done was actually a few days ago. It had the potential for being fatal, but good training meant it was just another incident to deal with (I mean the training I received, not any training I may give others!). It involved mounting two auxillary cylinders to my rebreather the wrong way round, and then connecting one to the machine at depth. Amazing how fast the pO2 of a loop shoots past 2.6 when you flush with pure oxygen at 160'.

Lesson to learn - you and you alone are responsible for your own gear and its configuration, and it's no use blaming anyone else when the unmentionable substance hits the whirling object. Other than generally needing to be more careful in future, it did teach me that every output from a tank holding a rich mix (in this case pure oxygen) needs to be clearly marked so it can be distinguished by feel, not just the second stage as I had thought previously.

If there are readers who don't understand some of this I apologise - I'll explain if anyone REALLY wants me to. But the lesson is for everyone.

Edited by peterbj7, 05 August 2005 - 07:58 PM.

#29 FreeFloat

FreeFloat

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / DIR-F in training
  • Logged Dives:165+

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:17 PM

One of the dumbest things I've ever done was actually a few days ago. It had the potential for being fatal, but good training meant it was just another incident to deal with (I mean the training I received, not any training I may give others!). It involved mounting two auxillary cylinders to my rebreather the wrong way round, and then connecting one to the machine at depth. Amazing how fast the pO2 of a loop shoots past 2.6 when you flush with pure oxygen at 160'.

Lesson to learn - you and you alone are responsible for your own gear and its configuration, and it's no use blaming anyone else when the unmentionable substance hits the whirling object. Other than generally needing to be more careful in future, it did teach me that every output from a tank holding a rich mix (in this case pure oxygen) needs to be clearly marked so it can be distinguished by feel, not just the second stage as I had thought previously.

If there are readers who don't understand some of this I apologise - I'll explain if anyone REALLY wants me to. But the lesson is for everyone.

:teeth:

yikes!

Hope you followed that with dil pretty quick....... how long would it take you to breathe that back down?!?
FreeFloat
Toronto (North York), Ontario

Another day Wet is another day Happy

#30 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,666 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:42 PM

Only men will know what I went through.

Well that is not necessarily true...seems the squeeze can be JUST as painful to a woman...I know...I too did several VERY uncomfortable dives without my hose. :lmao:

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users