• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Darling, will you marry me?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Neptuner

Neptuner

I spend too much time on line

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 18 August 2005 - 07:16 AM

Seeing as how the "Popping the question!!!" thread has generated so much interest, how about if we expand it a bit? Since we're all divers we've all heard/seen tales of underwater proposals that were awesome, but where else or how else can the whole process be enhanced? In other words, give us the details like the "banner story" underwater and all of the cool above water stories as well. This should be cool!

-----------------------------

I'm sure many of you (especially from the Midwest) have heard this type of tale, but when I was a very young boy I remember thinking it was so cool. My brother-in-law David proposed to my sister Diana at the very top of the Blue Streak roller coaster in Cedar Point amusement park.

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#2 Mishelle

Mishelle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Cert Level:My life is only complete when Im 150 ft deep!
  • Logged Dives:lost count....actually lost log too :(

Posted 18 August 2005 - 07:53 AM

I guess I will add mine, even though you all know how this one ends.

We did a dive at Disney Dive Quest. Apparently he asked if he could propose in the tank, but Disney said no. Anyhow, after our dive we went and saw the light show.
After the grand finally, he opened the box and handed it my way.
My first response...."Arent you suppose to get on your knee?" I was in shock!

Anyhow, I guess everyone knew and he did ask my mom for permission.

Better luck next time I guess! :cool1:
:) Mishelle

The best day I ever had was face to face with a man and a shark, and wondering who was gonna bite me first- Poison Pen

Divers Wanted! Come dive with SD!!

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 18 August 2005 - 12:14 PM

On one of my favorite dive sites...I get this 'laminated card' that tells me how much I mean to the man about ready to propose to me. (Only I don't know he is about ready to propose!) Having been in a long distance relationship with him...cards were a frequent way we used to express our feelings.

I read the card...it was wonderful and I smile thru my regulator...no easy feat mind you especially over 100ft down. :teeth:

We finish the awesome dive and on the safety stop I recieve yet another 'card' from him. This one tells me how he can't live his life without me. As I look at him with emotion welling up inside me...He takes out his regulator and says..."Will you Marry Me?"

Now the emotion is overwhelming me and I'm trying to hold back the tears...comprehend what is happening...breathe...and take the reg out of my mouth to say 'yes' back to him.

As all of this is happening I see out of the corner of my eye a clear plastic vial with a huge diamond ring inside of it (yes everything is bigger in water!!!) and I breathe in a sigh of disbelief only to find that I have removed the reg and so all I'm getting is water! :o

His best buddy and future best man is videotaping the event unbeknownst to me and readies to jump into action to save me. My future fiance is thinking 'Oh my gosh...she's going to die in front of my eyes and everyone will think that she'd rather die than marry me!'

Ok...I'm not sure that is what he really thought...but that IS what he told me later he was thinking!

Needless to say I somehow manage to recover...someone is throwing a reg in my mouth and all the time I'm fixated on this ring he is holding in his hand attached to a lanyard attached to his bc hanging at 20 ft in 115+ ft of water (obviously in case of just such a mishap!) and I'm trying to recall if I've said 'yes' or not.

I take out my slate and I write on it...did I say "YES"??? He almost chokes laughing and nods that I did and hands me the ring!

By this time the dive buddy/videographer/dive rescurer is laughing his socks off...or is that booties...and he is signaling that he is out of air and has to go up. Seems he has been out of air for this entire event but has managed to survive on a few hundred psi to capture it all. He films our underwater kiss and heads for the surface on his last couple of psi.

When we recover, finish our safety stop....a fairly long safety stop I might add...we get back on the boat. The boat capt seeing our HUGE grins is asking what we found as he knows it must be something good!

I dig into my goodie bag and I pull out the vial...and I show it to him. By now the entire boat is crowding around to examine what we found. The boat capt says...

I didn't know the German's had plastic back in those days...oh wait...I know what this is....dang it...you got me!!!  :lmao:

At this point several of the closest observers have realized what has happened and they announce loudly that someone has just requested the hand in marriage of our very own 'Wench'.

I hear the cheers and clapping in the background and I then I hear someone say...I'm surprised she didn't just die when you asked her...she has always wanted to be proposed to underwater!

To this day they still don't know just how funny (and almost true) that statement was!!! In fact...I thought I'd never stop laughing after they said it! :lmao:

As for the video...I never did see it...seems the camera had a fatal recording error and none of it was captured. Hmmm....seems prophetic in a way....the relationship had a fatal recording error as well and did not survive either. :teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 18 August 2005 - 03:22 PM

I'm still writing the script for this event. It will become another episode in my "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" TV show. Of course I still have to find the right woman so I can add the appropriate final touches to the script and decide where it will occur (Antarctica? PNG? Galapagos? Red Sea?).

#5 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:20 PM

On one of my favorite dive sites...I get this 'laminated card' that tells me how much I mean to the man about ready to propose to me.

We finish the awesome dive and on the safety stop I recieve yet another 'card' from him. He takes out his regulator and says..."Will you Marry Me?"

Now the emotion is overwhelming me and I'm trying to hold back the tears...comprehend what is happening...breathe...and take the reg out of my mouth to say 'yes' back to him.

Just occurred to me I have a song in my Artie Shaw collection I think you'll like.

For you, Kamala, and a toast to the happy couple:

He's Just My Bill - Artie Shaw Orchestra (Helen Forrest on vocals).

Edited by Brinybay, 15 January 2007 - 11:24 PM.

"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#6 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:21 AM

Obviously, I didn't choose a very cool place, but it did stick. So for the story:

Right after college, I took a job with a company that performed testing of oil and gas wells offshore Louisiana. So, I am in Louisiana, my sweetheart is in Florida and one evening during a visit in wonderful (gag!!) Morgan City, LA, I asked my sweetheart, to marry me. She said she would think about it and didn't answer for 6 months. So, one late evening after a really bad boat ride in 20 ft seas, I called her about my committing mutiny on the high seas (another story, but true) and she told me she would marry me if we did not live in Southern Louisiana. Not a problem for me. I left Southern Louisiana and history was made.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#7 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:38 AM

I don't know if this would qualify but I find this to be a very amusing story, especially since I know the couple.

During a Houston Rockets' playoff game some years back, my co-worker's boyfriend proposed to her during a second-period timeout. He did it all, got down his knee as the spotlights shined on them, his message on the the scoreboard. Of course, she said yes.

Well, that was the Rockets' playoff game which they would later cough up a 21-point mid-fourth-period lead and lose to the Phoenix Suns in overtime. At the time, it was a collapse of major historic proportions, however, it became a small footnote when the Rockets came back to win the series against the Suns then take the NBA title. Still, I know the couple laughed about it many times.
-Mitch-

#8 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:47 AM

Obviously, I didn't choose a very cool place, but it did stick. So for the story:

Right after college, I took a job with a company that performed testing of oil and gas wells offshore Louisiana. So, I am in Louisiana, my sweetheart is in Florida and one evening during a visit in wonderful (gag!!) Morgan City, LA, I asked my sweetheart, to marry me. She said she would think about it and didn't answer for 6 months. So, one late evening after a really bad boat ride in 20 ft seas, I called her about my committing mutiny on the high seas (another story, but true) and she told me she would marry me if we did not live in Southern Louisiana. Not a problem for me. I left Southern Louisiana and history was made.

Dennis, didn't you know? Morgan City is a WONDERFUL place to be ... NOT!!!! As for that mutiny story, I remember you telling that here ... totally hilarious!
-Mitch-

#9 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:02 PM

I'd have to vote for this spot in Puerto Vallarta (pic 1). It seems to have worked pretty well for me! Also, dinner at the table at the top of the steps (pics 2&3).

Attached Images

• Le_Kliff4.jpg
  • Le_Kliff2.jpg
  • Le_Kliff3.jpg
  • The_Ring.jpg

"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#10 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:09 PM

I'd have to vote for this spot in Puerto Vallarta (pic 1). It seems to have worked pretty well for me! Also, dinner at the table at the top of the steps (pics 2&3).

Darn, Jamie... and some folks say you have no class! Seriously, I can see why Wendi succumbed to your charms (since you weren't DIR back then).

#11 nurseshark

nurseshark

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW,Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:07 PM

Hey Jamie..I have actually been there..It is a beautiful spot!

Great choice!

Karen

#12 Jocasseegirl

Jocasseegirl

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Cert Level:Got my OW at Lake Jocassee in September, 2005 (with Bill Routh)
  • Logged Dives:15-ish

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:57 AM

and I breathe in a sigh of disbelief only to find that I have removed the reg and so all I'm getting is water! :lmao:

Hey, that's not funny - that happened to me recently :lmao: - ask your fiance - he had to pick up the pieces. Glad you are OK!
Following Him,

Jocasseegirl (aka Debbie Fletcher)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users