• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Finding the best prices on plane tickets

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 05 May 2004 - 10:07 PM

(General Travel...?)

Plane tickets prices are certainly moving targets. Checking in every day on certain trip ideas, I see a different fare every day. It seems my best approach is to

(1) Decide that I am going, dates, and destination;

(2) Select a price I'm willing to pay - kinda' like a Buy or Sell target on a Stock or Commodity;

(3) And when I see my target price, jump on it! ;)

I've been watching for tickets to Tampa in July for my family of 4. $340, $350, $345, $230 - Bought! :D

Watching for cheaper prices to Raleigh NC in October: $345, $350, $226 - Bought! ;)

And I'm seeing some offers on my LAX flights for the fall, but wrong airline and wrong time. Watching like a hawk.

At times, I'll find myself committed to a trip and not find my bargain before I get nervous that the price will start going up. Sometimes I give up and buy at a higher price, cutting loses as compared to my target price. Overall, though, it's working.

BTW: Like many travel shoppers, I watch Expedia prices, then go to the company's own site to buy...
:dance:
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#2 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 05 May 2004 - 10:14 PM

I've used a couple of "best prices" search engines and found each time that I could get a better price from the airline's website itself. Go figure. Just bought my tickets to Florida for less than I expected and got tickets LAX to Boston for my reunion for a mere $230 RT. Even better than Jet Blue!

Dr. Bill

#3 RICHinNC

RICHinNC

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox

Posted 06 May 2004 - 06:04 AM

I will check a few sites....and find that Expedia is usually the best. Once I have a price and airline from there I will CALL the airline and tell them I couldnt make on line res. will they help me and even give me a better price. By doing Ex first, I have at least a base knowledge what the airlines should offer and I have always saved at least $20 by calling.

I understand priceline will now let you see options versus just making you take something you have no idea what it is. But I havent tried that yet.

I find travel agencies to have the worst deals so far.
Rich

Edited by RICHinNC, 06 May 2004 - 06:07 AM.

The great thing about excruciating pain is....at least you know you are alive.

#4 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 09:33 AM

I've used a couple of "best prices" search engines...

Do you use one that supposedly watches for you and emails you when a good price pops, or just drop in from time to time...??

I will check a few sites....and find that Expedia is usually the best.

Yeah, I've tried others, and Expedia seems to work better than any other I've tried. I like the way it'll show you a comparison of different airline prices. If one major is charging $100 less than my airline, I expect my airline to consider matching the lower price. Sometimes they do, sometimes the cheaper goes back up, but still - a handy place to watch for trends.

Once I have a price and airline from there I will CALL the airline and tell them I couldnt make on line res. will they help me and even give me a better price.

Like you fellas', I'll find the best price on Expedia, then go to the airline, car company, hotel, direct to see if I can do better. Very often do; even if it's the same price, I still enjoy benefits of booking direct, I think. This means that Expedia is working for me and not getting paid? I didn't develope the system; I'm just shopping.

I need to try your approach of calling the airline direct for even better prices. I book online for the extra 1,000 FF-miles, but - $20 savinbgs is better. :teeth:

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#5 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 06 May 2004 - 09:41 AM

I will check a few sites....and find that Expedia is usually the best. Once I have a price and airline from there I will CALL the airline and tell them I couldnt make on line res. will they help me and even give me a better price. By doing Ex first, I have at least a base knowledge what the airlines should offer and I have always saved at least $20 by calling.

I understand priceline will now let you see options versus just making you take something you have no idea what it is. But I havent tried that yet.

I find travel agencies to have the worst deals so far.
Rich

Good tactic!! I get Orbitz & Travelzoo weekly & always look them over. (sigh) Someday I'll book that special deal to London.... :lam:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#6 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 06 May 2004 - 10:53 AM

Don- I don't use the capability of having the site e-mail me for a good fare. Other than my work with Lindblad (and they book and pay for the ticket), I normally don't travel a lot. This year has been different with two trips to Florida and one to Boston in the first six months.

Dr. B.

#7 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:20ish

Posted 06 May 2004 - 11:49 AM

I get weekly specials from Orbitz, too. If had the best luck with them.
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#8 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 06 May 2004 - 12:04 PM

I just booked a flight today directly with the airline. Expedia and Travelocity were all at least 30% more than the what I pd booking directly.

Diverlady
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#9 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 12:59 PM

One more reason to book with the airline direct -

If you book with Expedia, and the airline's price goes down, I don't think you'll get money back. :teeth:

Book with the airline, and if the prices goes down, and you call them on it, they'll give you a voucher for the difference. :teeth:

#10 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 06 May 2004 - 02:51 PM

One of my fave's is www.travelzoo.com

They have some great deals, especially if you subscirbe to the weekly e-mail specials. A lot of them are last minute getaways, and often sell out quickly. But if you are fast and flexible, you can save some bucks.

Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#11 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 06 May 2004 - 03:34 PM

One of my fave's is www.travelzoo.com

They have some great deals, especially if you subscirbe to the weekly e-mail specials. A lot of them are last minute getaways, and often sell out quickly. But if you are fast and flexible, you can save some bucks.

Laura

There's the key- I drool over their emails every week!!
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 May 2004 - 04:20 PM

Well...as everyone knows you can't make money on air anymore due to great resources such as the ones you are all shopping in this thread. However you can still save money when we get bulk air to exotic and tropical places like Bonaire or Roatan from some locations!

So now for my question...after we finish our 2004 and 2005 trip calendar which should be fairly soon...in fact we just set the prices for Roatan and will post that next...would you all like to see a travel service available just for SingleDivers.com??? It can help you to get bulk air on as few as 2 people traveling...group discounts for families and friends...hotel and land package discounts on non-dive travel as well as dive travel.

Let me know if I should explore this as a service to our divers!!! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#13 WisconsinGal

WisconsinGal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Logged Dives:70+ and counting

Posted 06 May 2004 - 04:58 PM

Well...as everyone knows you can't make money on air anymore due to great resources such as the ones you are all shopping in this thread. However you can still save money when we get bulk air to exotic and tropical places like Bonaire or Roatan from some locations!

So now for my question...after we finish our 2004 and 2005 trip calendar which should be fairly soon...in fact we just set the prices for Roatan and will post that next...would you all like to see a travel service available just for SingleDivers.com??? It can help you to get bulk air on as few as 2 people traveling...group discounts for families and friends...hotel and land package discounts on non-dive travel as well as dive travel.

Let me know if I should explore this as a service to our divers!!!  -ww

I think that would be great! For as much flying/travelling as I have been doing the past few years, I'd definitely like to take advantage of bulk rates etc..!

WG

Edited by WisconsinGal, 06 May 2004 - 04:58 PM.

#14 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 06 May 2004 - 05:23 PM

It sounds like a good idea to me even though I do a lot of stuff solo. It's tough to find buddies who can take off for 3 or 4 months. Although that was more when I was self-employed. Of course once this economy turns around I'm outta this job and back to being my own boss.

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 May 2004 - 05:25 PM

It sounds like a good idea to me even though I do a lot of stuff solo. It's tough to find buddies who can take off for 3 or 4 months. Although that was more when I was self-employed. Of course once this economy turns around I'm outta this job and back to being my own boss.

Man SD has to get on YOUR travel schedule!!! Did you send me your 2005 travel plans and wish list yet for dive trips? I know we have the b-day thing for you next year but I sure hope we can be some of those trips you take next year!!! :thankyou:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users