• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

OMG! My morning walk to work...

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 24 August 2005 - 02:02 PM

No apology required on my part Don! I knew that you were joking and simply trying to keep the thread light!

Yes Don, my comment wasn't directed toward you. See my quote above. That quote just reminded me of the whole mindset "If rape is inevitable, lie back and enjoy it." Makes my blood boil.

#17 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 02:13 PM

I had something similar happen to me while visiting Okinawa several years ago. I was walking down the street with a group of friends (all American and all female) whan a local Okinawan kid (he couldn't have been more than 12 or 13) coming in the other direction ran up and grabbed my breast. And you're right, no matter what you think you would do, its so shocking, you don't do anything. Realizing it was just a kid, we all just laughed and kept going. We also wondered why he picked me since a couple of others in my crowd had much more to grab!
"

#18 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 24 August 2005 - 02:19 PM

Yep. I know a lady that survived one at 19 after being abducted at shotgun point. He was caught, but not tried. He bonded out of jail, hitchedhiked into another state, killed the driver, and is still in prison there.

Once was not enough, tho. She had another guy break into her house. Had to kill him, and only barely got that done at the last minute. Owning a gun is one thing, actually shooting someone is somthing else.

She still has nightmares, that she won't be able to defend herself next time. I encouraged her to seek classes on how to handle the gun like an expert, hoping that would build confidence.

Best wishes to you ladies.
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#19 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 24 August 2005 - 02:35 PM

Pepper spray, a stun gun and a good swift...

Edited by Brinybay, 24 August 2005 - 02:42 PM.

"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#20 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 24 August 2005 - 02:57 PM

On a side note, I would like to apologize for the unwelcome and grotesque behavior of this PIG... it's guys like this that make me embarassed to be a man sometimes. Sorry it happened darlin'.

Micheal, thanks for speaking for me and the other guys who would not even think of this kind of behavior. Those were my thoughts exactly! Sooner or later, I will drink a Corona with you on some beach during a dive trip. :lmao:

Michelle, sorry to hear this happened to you. This kind of behavior ticks me off because, as Micheal kinda pointed out, it embarrasses and makes it hard for the rest of us guys. :lmao:

Here in Houston, there is a guy who is known throughout my little community of dancing friends as "The Lizard" or "The Snake". Why? Because he will ask some unsuspecting woman to dance and, while they are dancing, does "close-up" moves that I would not do on a woman I know very well, much less someone I don't know. Needless to say, he rarely dances with the same woman twice.

Michelle, hope you okay ... :hiya:
-Mitch-

#21 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 03:28 PM

[Here in Houston, there is a guy who is known throughout my little community of dancing friends as "The Lizard" or "The Snake". Why? Because he will ask some unsuspecting woman to dance and, while they are dancing, does "close-up" moves that I would not do on a woman I know very well, much less someone I don't know. Needless to say, he rarely dances with the same woman twice.

Michelle, hope you okay ... :flower:

Has he finished a song dancing with the same woman?? I'm pretty sure I'd walk off the dance floor!
"

#22 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 24 August 2005 - 03:40 PM

I am definitely okay. Thanks for your concerns! Should there ever be a next time I will have to keep Brinybay's advice in mind!

#23 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 24 August 2005 - 04:12 PM

Here's a thought...the next time that happens say "Hey...thanks for grabbing my ass...do you have a business card so I can call you later?" Then you'd have a name and contact information to give to the police!!!
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#24 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 04:24 PM

Okay, now that is just downright hilarious and brilliant thinking!

#25 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 24 August 2005 - 04:27 PM

Here's a thought...the next time that happens say "Hey...thanks for grabbing my ass..

well, yeah, nothing like a polite "thank you" to let them know what you think.....

Fist in the crotch gets the message home.

What's interesting is what we consider sexual. The a**, the crotch, the latter understandable. The former less so, but for those inclined in that area, perhaps so. Breasts definitely. But why not the head? The most sexual of body parts IMHO, but few would think of that. Perhaps the "grabbers" don't know that. Any grabbing at all, bad.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#26 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 04:29 PM

I don't think that grabbers are intellectualizing sexuality, but rather, objectifying it so I think this is definitely part of it. I hate to stereotype, but personally I think that said individual was from a cultural group that considers women not to be equals to men and saw no problem in objectifying me.

#27 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 24 August 2005 - 04:51 PM

yep, no thought involved.. I would agree. We could argue perhaps not human.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#28 Funewgy

Funewgy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:35

Posted 24 August 2005 - 08:01 PM

Since this happened so close to home, pack a digital camera in your purse. If this scumbag (is that one word or two?) shows his face again within 500 feet of you, whip it out and tell him to say "cheese". Combine a mug shot with his business card and maybe somebody in the pokey will grab his ass. Hey, they don't call it the pokey for nothing.
"Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call" -- J. Buffett

#29 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 24 August 2005 - 08:07 PM

Has he finished a song dancing with the same woman?? I'm pretty sure I'd walk off the dance floor!

Believe it or not, he usually finishes the song but judging from body language, the women could not get off the floor fast enough. The funny thing was is that I have never seen him try to hit on any of them.

But I have seem women walk off the floor in mid-song.
-Mitch-

#30 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:16 PM

I am definitely okay. Thanks for your concerns! Should there ever be a next time I will have to keep Brinybay's advice in mind!

All joking aside, if that's your regular route to work, choose another route and/or have a friend or co-worker walk with you.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users