• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What steps do I take to become a cave diver?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#16 DivingGal

DivingGal

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster.... love looking at critters, but enjoy wrecks when I can't
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 06 May 2004 - 02:32 PM

Sweeeeeeeeeet!!!

gee thanks, and we haven't even met! LOL

...  so dive dive dive, and just for good measure, dive some more.

when you consider where I live (north of the good old 49), and the fact that annually I put in close to 100 dives a year... though last year for some reason I only got in 80... I put in a lot of cold water diving. This is the funny month where my regs get serviced $$$$$$, my tanks vis (thank goodness I can do this now, only buying the lables from the shop, and doing a few tanks for them)... so it's dive when I can this month... so far only 8 definates {I really need to find a job closer to the water}

"Blueprint for Survival" is more of a pamphlet than a book. A lot of the info is actually covered in "Caverns MTM", and Sheck's blueprint forms the basis of all the modern cave training texts. I'll mail you my copy if you PM me with an address and promise to send it back.

Thanks, that's very generous of you. I'll let you know closer to the time when I decide to actually take the training.

Definately consider training in Mexico, if you have to travel to cave country anyway.

yes, but I can drive to FL saving $$$ on transportation costs (you know the sliming effect of the wallet exidous syndrome)

I have considered the DIR-F, but the local instructor and I ... well let's say it is not likely to work without one of us commiting murder. Sigh
Sometimes, you just gotta be

#17 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 06 May 2004 - 03:06 PM

...."Caverns Measureless to Man", which is longer and more of a novel format. Aafter you read that, you'll either be scared away forever or you'll know you have the cave diving bug for sure. "Caverns" is a good read that shows a bit of the history of cave diving, and how the accident analysis in BFS came to be in the first place.

Someone recently recommended that I read this book as well- said it was fascinating & informative.

Edited by Marvel, 06 May 2004 - 03:07 PM.

Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#18 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 06 May 2004 - 03:08 PM

This is the funny month where my regs get serviced $$$$$$, my tanks vis (thank goodness I can do this now, only buying the lables from the shop, and doing a few tanks for them)...

{I really need to find a job closer to the water}

I have considered the DIR-F, but the local instructor and I ... well let's say it is not likely to work without one of us commiting murder. Sigh

Have you taken the PSI course? I inspect and service my own tanks and valves, but haven't taken the class yet. I learned what I was doing by watching the local dive shop owner, who has only taken a PADI tank inspection course. When I really started digging into the subject, I realized there was a lot more to inspecting tanks than just dropping a light inside. Check into the PSI class if you haven't already taken it, it's the next class I plan to take. There's a lot of good info about tank maintenence on the PSI and Global websites... I'd really recommend arming yourself with info if you're doing your own work.

The guy at the dive shop was a lot less friendly to me when he saw the roll of VIP stickers I had printed up. :teeth:

$$$$$ is one of the reasons I service my own gear now. That, and seeing all those recently serviced regs freeflowing. I guess I just trust my own meticulous nature to produce a well tuned reg more than the new kid at my favorite dive shop ( they couldn't pay the old reg repair wizard enough to stick around ). The tools cost $$$$ too, but having complete control of the quality buys me a lot of peace of mind.

Sorry to hear personality conflicts are keeping you from taking the class. DIR-F is one of the classes I'd actually travel to take, though. Sounds like some of your buddies have taken it, so learn the tricks they're probably eager to show you.

#19 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 06 May 2004 - 03:09 PM

Hello,

One of my long-time friends is the treasurer, and past director, of the NSS-CDS (National Spelological Soceity- Cave Diving Section). He could probably give you some great advise - he's been actively cave diving for many years.

You also might want to check out their website:
http://www.caves.org/section/cds/

Good luck!
Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#20 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 03:13 PM

Someone recently recommended that I read this book as well- said it was fascinating & informative.

It's one of the few books that I love so much that I've read it at least 4 times!!! Even if the idea of diving in caves gives you the willies, you'll be absolutely riveted by the amazing story. Sheck is one of my true dive heroes, and his book will probably amaze you as much as it did me.

#21 DivingGal

DivingGal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster.... love looking at critters, but enjoy wrecks when I can't

Posted 06 May 2004 - 04:32 PM

Coo
I took the TDI course, which is based mainly on the PSI course. As an excellent reference I got the PSI manual. Next time the course is run near here, I "might" take it, yes double the info, but I do know it's most likely to have more content.

Actually none of my buddies have taken DIR-F, we've all taken TDI's Advanced Nitrox/Decomp, where similar skills are required. But to learn more about DIR-F I did pick up their reference text, so maybe some has rubbed off on me.

My next step is taking reg servicing, and O2 servicing -- those courses are scheduled this summer.

Soon I'll be self-suficient for all my gear. Who would have thought!

Laura - thanks for the link, looks interesting.

I guess I better start looking for a buddy to take the course with me.... any takers?

#22 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Logged Dives:20ish

Posted 06 May 2004 - 09:46 PM

One of my long-time friends is the treasurer, and past director, of the NSS-CDS (National Spelological Soceity- Cave Diving Section). He could probably give you some great advise - he's been actively cave diving for many years.

Good luck!
Laura

Did you mean this for me, if so can you tell me how to get in contact with him?

I'm so confused, and I'm not even a blonde today. Hey smurf...stop getting all the cool offers!!!!! They're mine!! all mine!!! If you ask real nice though, I might share. It's cool that you guys have sent so much helpful info. I know it's a rough ride to get where I want to go, but I know it will be well worth it in the long run.

"Sheck's blueprint forms the basis of all the modern cave training texts. I'll mail you my copy if you PM me with an address and promise to send it back. (CT)"

Oops...I thought you were extending this offer to me. Can you at least tell me how to get a hold of the blueprints for survival pamphlet?
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#23 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 06 May 2004 - 10:24 PM

Good luck!
Laura

I'm so confused, and I'm not even a blonde today. Hey smurf...stop getting all the cool offers!!!!! They're mine!! all mine!!! If you ask real nice though, I might share. It's cool that you guys have sent so much helpful info. I know it's a rough ride to get where I want to go, but I know it will be well worth it in the long run.

"Sheck's blueprint forms the basis of all the modern cave training texts. I'll mail you my copy if you PM me with an address and promise to send it back. (CT)"

Oops...I thought you were extending this offer to me. Can you at least tell me how to get a hold of the blueprints for survival pamphlet?

I got my copy of "Blueprint for Survival" from an outfit called scubabooks.com or something on that order believe it or not. I haven't read the other book as the number of caverns/caves where I dive is so limited and traveling to FL or Mexico just to dive caves is not happening as of yet.

I have too many cool wrecks that I haven't dove up here. :respect:

Edited by Diverbrian, 06 May 2004 - 10:26 PM.

A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#24 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 10:53 PM

Soon as I find the books, I'll be all over them. Thanks again (especially CT) for all of the advice. Now I don't feel like my head is stuck in the sand so much anymore.
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#25 DivingGal

DivingGal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 05:00 AM

Hehehe... girl, offers are out there grab 'em.... she who grabs first... errrr that's a whole other topic. :teeth:

Thanks for all the advice, it's good to know I'm on the right track.

I'm with you Diverbrian, there are too many wrecks up here to dive, dive, dive to worry about silly caves!

#26 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 07 May 2004 - 08:11 AM

[quote name='scubahoney' date='May 6 2004, 09:46 PM']

Laura [/QUOTE]

I'm so confused, and I'm not even a blonde today. [/quote]
(LOL)

I'm a little confused, too, and I'm a brunette! :lmao:

I thought it was for coldwater smurf, but you can use it too. My friend's name is Steve Ormeroid (we just call him Steve-O) and there's a link to his e-mail on the NSS-CDS website. Just tell him "Laura the mermaid" referred you... :teeth:

Later,
Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#27 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 09:50 AM

Did anyone read who started this thread???!!!
Laura, I'll have to chekc out that website-good advice.
~Jacques Cousteau

#28 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 12:37 PM

This offer is for any Honey's or Smurfs interested in the subject... Heck, I'd even open the offer to Brian if I didn't know he already has his own copy. :whistle:

There's plenty of pamphlet to go around, for anyone interested. If you want your own copy, Amazon sells "Caverns" and "Blueprint" as a package deal on their site.

#29 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 07 May 2004 - 12:39 PM

we just wanted your home addy, CT! you understand, right?

#30 DivingGal

DivingGal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 12:40 PM

This offer is for any Honey's or Smurfs interested in the subject... Heck, I'd even open the offer to Brian if I didn't know he already has his own copy. :teeth:

There's plenty of pamphlet to go around, for anyone interested. If you want your own copy, Amazon sells "Caverns" and "Blueprint" as a package deal on their site.

Thanks CT... for the offer and the info about the deal at Amazon.

Now what books to you want to borrow out of my library? Diving, u/w archeology, destinations, shipwrecks..... hmmm and a whole bunch of other stuff too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users