• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What steps do I take to become a cave diver?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#46 DivingGal

DivingGal

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster.... love looking at critters, but enjoy wrecks when I can't
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 07 May 2004 - 05:23 PM

Started the Wheel series... got, well, bored with it.
Sometimes, you just gotta be

#47 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 07 May 2004 - 05:29 PM

Started the Wheel series... got, well, bored with it.

No! How far in? I admit book ten (Crossroads of Twilight) didn't advance the plot at all BUT...
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#48 bann

bann

Getting started

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 07 May 2004 - 06:17 PM

Can't help you out with "what steps", but since you started the thread,

My question, somewhat related is:

Who would you recommend to teach Cavern / Intro to Cave?

For anyone interested in Cave Diving; as mentioned you can go to NSS-CDS (I think that link was given) or NACD (National Association for Cave Diving) http://www.safecavediving.com I know many cave divers (myself included) that could recommend instructors both in Florida (cave country) and in the Yucatan. Whomever you chose, my personal recommendation would be to use an Instructor
that makes their living in caves. Just my opinion (don't mean to offend anyone), but I would prefer to have brain surgery by someone that doesn't make their cash in family practice :) OTOH I do know a couple of non-full time cave instructors that are great. If I can give one other piece of advice, it would be to take your time with the courses, you can do Cavern-Intro, then go dive, dive, dive at the Intro level, get your doubles setup and do pool time, then dive at Intro level with them, you'll get alot more out of your Apprentice class. And to make the most of the training, take the year after Apprentice to do cave dives, then go do your Full Cave. Cave's are beautiful, other worldly, fragile and dangerous; proper training is a must. And the Cenotes in the Yucatan are fantastic and many of them can be done as Open Water dives (some can even be snorkled). Possible trip some day WW?????? Bann

#49 bigblueplanet

bigblueplanet

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 08 May 2004 - 04:15 PM

Well, I have tried to post this reply several times now and I keep losing the screen. I learned that the system does not like me dragging links into a post among other things.

Amber,

I think the best thing to do is to get as much time in the water as possible. The more at ease you are in the water in general the better off you will be trying to cave dive. I am going to list some links that will help you in your guest for information. I have friend's in several places that would be good to train with. I recommend you seek out the one you connect with the best. It is important that you make it clear what your goals are to them so you can get to where you need to be for this type of work.

If you are looking to do some training with someone local to you, I would look up Jim Bowden and Anne Kristovich. I am sure you would get on with Anne really well.

http://www.mexicoprofundo.org/

This is their project site and you can reach them though there. I believe that Jim teaches at University of Texas. they have been friends for awhile. They are out in the field doing this stuff all the time.

If you wanted to train in Florida I would recommed a very close friend of mine Terrence Tysall. He is the President of the Cambrain Foundation and does this all the time.

http://www.benthictech.com/

This is his site for training

We just finished up our 2004 Akumal cave diving expedition. If you want to read more about it you can check out the daily updates at

http://www.cambrianfoundation.org/ and http://www.deeperblue.net/

On Deeper Blue go to the special features area to view it.

If you would like to train in the Yucatan, I would recommend my good friend "Matt", Andreas Mathes. We call him Chup. Sweet big tattoed German guy, but as nice as can be. He can be reached thhrough his site at

http://www.protecdiving.com/

If you want to actually learn in the Bahamas, my buddy Brian Kakuk teaches there. His site is

http://www.bahamacav...86289/index.htm

It sounds like you are already in touch with Dr. Tom Iliffe at Texas A&M University, but if not he is a fantastic resource for what you are interested in. He is basically the definative resource on the topic. His site is

http://www.tamug.edu/cavebiology/

I am happy to help as you develop questions.

The books that were metnioned are good resources for you. The NSSCDS Cave Divng Manual is a good resource and will likely be a course text for you. The Safe Cave Diving book from NACD is good as well. Unfortunately, there is a shortage of good cave diving literature out there and most are dated. Best to do a lot of research and speak with as many people out there that actually do the work as you can.

Everyone I mentioned above are actively doing cave work including biological work.

There is a lot os misinformation and opinions out there, so be careful who you listen to. Build a base of solid knowledge from people you can trust and work toward your own structure on how you want to do this. Never follow blindly.

Everyone I referenced will give you balanced information. Feel free to drop my name if you feel it will help. They all know me.

If you connect with cave diving, I can only say it is one of the best expeirences you will ever have. It is not not for everyone. We say it is like being pregnant, either you is or you aint a cave diver, there is no middle ground. HAppy hunting

Cheers,

Grant

:P

Edited by bigblueplanet, 08 May 2004 - 04:22 PM.

#50 DivingGal

DivingGal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster.... love looking at critters, but enjoy wrecks when I can't

Posted 08 May 2004 - 04:29 PM

Wow Grant... a ton of information. Thanks.

I have a feeling Cave diving may be like diving for me. When I started I said (believe it or not) "oh I'll just be happy with the shallow stuff"

hehehe, a few years later, and I'm trained in deco procedures, dive doubles when I can, and don't really consider a vacation, a vacation unless I'm also diving.

Edited by ColdWaterSmurf, 08 May 2004 - 04:33 PM.

#51 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:20ish

Posted 08 May 2004 - 04:33 PM

Wow! Thanks Grant. So much more than I was expecting. Hoepfully we can get together on one the trips and talk more about your personal experience. I will definetly check out all the resources you mentioned. Thanks again!!
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#52 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....

Posted 08 May 2004 - 05:09 PM

I've got a feeling that I am a lot like CWS. I didn't envision going as far as I have now. I have a couple of buddies (older with kids out of the house and better paying jobs) looking into cave diving. In a few years, I will probably head that way in order to get training in wreck penetration. I just don't have the funds and/or time to learn it right now without cutting into actual diving. It seems the more "advanced" the diving, the less that you actually get to dive that way.

I can't even find buddies for light deco anymore as the two that I had became instructors and spend most of their time at at eighty ft. or less (Deep Specialty depth with students). Forget about cave and penetration stuff. If I don't have a buddy lined up, I am not spending the time and money to learn it and not practice it anymore.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#53 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:20ish

Posted 08 May 2004 - 05:59 PM

Well, I don't really have a plan yet either. All I know is what I want to do...which is very different from what I can do and what I figure out that I don't want to do! Thanks guys for all the advice. Now I know which direction to head in.
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#54 DivingGal

DivingGal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 06:06 AM

I can't even find buddies for light deco anymore as the two that I had became instructors and spend most of their time at at eighty ft. or less (Deep Specialty depth with students). Forget about cave and penetration stuff. If I don't have a buddy lined up, I am not spending the time and money to learn it and not practice it anymore.

I can introduce you to a whole "gang" up here who love doing the serious stuff.

I'm not into long deco stops, but don't mind them so I can really visit a wreck.

#55 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....

Posted 09 May 2004 - 01:41 PM

I can't even find buddies for light deco anymore as the two that I had became instructors and spend most of their time at at eighty ft. or less (Deep Specialty depth with students).  Forget about cave and penetration stuff.  If I don't have a buddy lined up, I am not spending the time and money to learn it and not practice it anymore.

I can introduce you to a whole "gang" up here who love doing the serious stuff.

I'm not into long deco stops, but don't mind them so I can really visit a wreck.

Be careful what you say? Somebody may take you up on that one day. :blink:
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#56 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 09 May 2004 - 02:03 PM

If I can give one other piece of advice, it would be to take your time with the courses, you can do Cavern-Intro, then go dive, dive, dive at the Intro level, get your doubles setup and do pool time, then dive at Intro level with them, you'll get alot more out of your Apprentice class. And to make the most of the training, take the year after Apprentice to do cave dives, then go do your Full Cave.

Bann,

I'm wondering how your recommendations might change for someone like me, who is not yet cave certified but knows they want to head in that direction. I am already in doubles, with enough dives ( just over 100 ) in them to be very comfortable with diving in this configuration. I have excellent buoyancy skills, and already comfortable with the anti-silting propulsion techniques ie frog kicks, modified frog, and mod flutter.

I do not believe in rushing from one class to the next without a lot of practical experiance dives in between, but I'm wondering if you feel someone like me could do a week long Cavern-Full Cave type of course and do so safely? I am shopping around at the moment with plans to start down the cave training path later this year, and would value your 2 psi.

#57 DivingGal

DivingGal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 02:38 PM

DB... a few folks here (yes I actually know and have dived/dove??? with a few) know, I never say something I mean to say.

I may not say somethings I want to say.. but NEVER say something I can be held accountable. Sort of old fashioned, I believe a person's word should mean somthing.

#58 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 09 May 2004 - 02:50 PM

Brian,

I've dived with CWS a few times in Florida and Bonaire. I consider her a friend and enjoy diving with her. I trust her word.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#59 DivingGal

DivingGal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 02:54 PM

Brian,

I've dived with CWS a few times in Florida and Bonaire. I consider her a friend and enjoy diving with her. I trust her word.

Aww gee Walter you're going to make me blush.....

I still remember that dive in Bonaire with you and that Tarpon... both of you were being very playful!

#60 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 09 May 2004 - 03:11 PM

I had to clean my suit after that dive.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users