• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What steps do I take to become a cave diver?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 DivingGal

DivingGal

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster.... love looking at critters, but enjoy wrecks when I can't
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 09 May 2004 - 03:20 PM

I still remember that guy coming out of the dark and scooting so close to me that I felt the water move as he passed by.
Sometimes, you just gotta be

#62 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 09 May 2004 - 04:22 PM

DB... a few folks here (yes I actually know and have dived/dove??? with a few) know, I never say something I mean to say.

I may not say somethings I want to say.. but NEVER say something I can be held accountable. Sort of old fashioned, I believe a person's word should mean somthing. 

CWS, my :helpsmily: was meant to mean that I knew that. I was just trying to make conversation. I would make the same offer to you and your friends. It sounds like a great time to me. I am much the same way.

Walter, your character reference is appreciated
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#63 bigblueplanet

bigblueplanet

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 09 May 2004 - 08:36 PM

Amber,

Happy to help any time. I will be in Houston for DEMA. Otherwise, I am sure we will cross each other's path sooner or later.

G2

#64 bann

bann

Getting started

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 10 May 2004 - 07:23 PM

[quote name='Coo's Toe' date='May 9 2004, 02:03 PM'][quote name='bann' date='May 7 2004, 06:17 PM'] If I can give one other piece of advice, it would be to take your time with the courses, you can do Cavern-Intro, then go dive, dive, dive at the Intro level, get your doubles setup and do pool time, then dive at Intro level with them, you'll get alot more out of your Apprentice class.  And to make the most of the training, take the year after Apprentice to do cave dives, then go do your Full Cave.[/quote]
Bann,

I'm wondering how your recommendations might change for someone like me, who is not yet cave certified but knows they want to head in that direction. I am already in doubles, with enough dives ( just over 100 ) in them to be very comfortable with diving in this configuration. I have excellent buoyancy skills, and already comfortable with the anti-silting propulsion techniques ie frog kicks, modified frog, and mod flutter.

I do not believe in rushing from one class to the next without a lot of practical experiance dives in between, but I'm wondering if you feel someone like me could do a week long Cavern-Full Cave type of course and do so safely? I am shopping around at the moment with plans to start down the cave training path later this year, and would value your 2 psi.[/quote]
[QUOTE]
Hi CT, Having experience with the equipment, bouyancy, trim and kicks puts you in a position of being able to focus all of your attention on developing the knowledge and skills needed to learn cave diving. The suggestion to break up the levels came to me from several Instructors and my first time in Dlbs after my Cavern/Intro class showed me why: my first step into the water (reg in as taught, thank god) saw a face plant on the bottom. Many other cave divers that I have talked, dove or had classes with have agreed that we would not have gotten as much from the classes had we been focused on equipment and bouyancy.

You may want to talk to several different Instructors to get a feel for their teaching style and requirements (make sure they have no problem with Dbls in Cavern/Intro). You did not mention if you had a buddy you were taking the class with, if not, another consideration might be the level of the other students in the class, I think you would get more from your courses if you are in a class with someone else at your level of experience. You would be better served with the focus on other skills, not perfecting bouyancy and trim. So finding an Instructor that takes that into consideration would be good. Hope that helps some and best of luck to you. Let me know if you do your training in FL, since I make it down into the caves several times a year, often as possible actually. I could say HI......

#65 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 10 May 2004 - 08:16 PM

Having experience with the equipment, bouyancy, trim and kicks puts you in a position of being able to focus all of your attention on developing the knowledge and skills needed to learn cave diving.

So are you saying that doing an 8 day intensive training session might work for me, as long as I didn't go too crazy afterwards? ( by crazy I mean planning real dives that push the limits of my new training )

The suggestion to break up the levels came to me from several Instructors and my first time in Dlbs after my Cavern/Intro class showed me why

This wouldn't be a problem for me. I'm comfortable in my doubles, both underwater, and while hiking them down some suicidal looking goat trails like the ones approaching many of the caves I've heard about.

get a feel for their teaching style and requirements (make sure they have no problem with Dbls in Cavern/Intro).

I'm sure none of them are going to violate the standards despite my experiance level. I would show up with a single tank to take Cavern & Intro, anlong with my doubles for the rest of the training.

You did not mention if you had a buddy you were taking the class with

I don't, but I'd plan on having one. I have several interested buddies with similiar experiance level to mine. I would be planning the travel/training with someone else when the time is right.

Let me know if you do your training in FL, since I make it down into the caves several times a year, often as possible actually. I could say HI......

Location will depend on the instructor I choose. If it's Florida, I'll let you know. I'd look forward to saying "Hi" in person.

I've been soliciting the opinions of other certified cavers on the subject of instructor choice and whether or not the idea of doing Cavern to Full Cave in a single shot is wise. Ultimately the instructor will have the final say, but your advice is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks.

#66 No Pressure

No Pressure

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:35 PM

SH, Cavern and cave were, without a doubt, the most instructive, impressive courses I have taken. The training will REALLY get your attention re: rig configuration, knowing and reaching your setup in the dark, navigation, fin kicks, bouancy control, common sense, and staying calm in an overhead environment. I trained under Kate Lewis in Akumal. SHe is impressive. Her husband is Steve Gerrard, of the cave exploration/ photo book.
There is a guy in Denton who now does nothing but cave diving. Drives to Fla a number of times a year. If you want, I will send you his ph #, or give him a call for you. He is always ready to talk caves.
Good luck, and keep diving.
Diving; My zen space.

#67 No Pressure

No Pressure

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:37 PM

I still remember that guy coming out of the dark and scooting so close to me that I felt the water move as he passed by.

Was that Walter, or the Tarpon?
Diving; My zen space.

#68 bigblueplanet

bigblueplanet

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 11 May 2004 - 12:17 AM

CT,

It is a good point. If your goal is Full Cave definately find an instructor that is cool with you being in doubles from day one. I recommend that for all who plan on going to full cave. The more time in doubles the better. The rules will change as you evolve through the training, but if doubles is your goal being in them from the beginning is best. None of the instructors should have a problem with that. It is allowed now in the standards. TNT is cool with it.

G2

#69 DivingGal

DivingGal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster.... love looking at critters, but enjoy wrecks when I can't
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 11 May 2004 - 05:26 AM

Was that Walter, or the Tarpon?

:respect: actually I was referring to the Tarpon... but now that you mention it... hehehe

If we had our lights on, it stayed well out of sight. When we shut the lights out, he got up close and personal (the fish... the fish)
Sometimes, you just gotta be

#70 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 12:02 PM

It is allowed now in the standards. TNT is cool with it.

G2

Thanks Grant, that was news to me. I thought doubles weren't allowed in Cavern and intro classes, specifically to discourage the new guys ( or gals ) from wandering too far. If I can take all the classes in doubles, of course that's what I'd prefer.

#71 bann

bann

Getting started

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 11:08 AM

So are you saying that doing an 8 day intensive training session might work for me, as long as I didn't go too crazy afterwards? ( by crazy I mean planning real dives that push the limits of my new training )

This wouldn't be a problem for me. I'm comfortable in my doubles, both underwater, and while hiking them down some suicidal looking goat trails like the ones approaching many of the caves I've heard about.

I'm sure none of them are going to violate the standards despite my experiance level. I would show up with a single tank to take Cavern & Intro, anlong with my doubles for the rest of the training.

Hi CT, Only you and your Instructor can decide what works for you, but you seem to be taking the right approach. My thoughts would be better suited to those in OW/REC equipment, without your experience.

Your goat trail description is quite accurate, I practiced walking up and down stairs my 1st time (till I could do so without fearing my legs would turn to jello). And there have been a few times I have had to take off everything I possibly could to climb my butt up those goat trails.

I agree you should start off in DLbs, it's not a Standards issue, and you sound like you are already talking to some Instructors and gathering your base of information so that you can pick one that will work the best for you.

Best of Luck and Safe Diving. Keep us posted on your progress. :welcome:

#72 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 11:25 AM

Bann, I remember the day I first got the double 104's. Talk about intimidating. It was a challenge just getting them down the apartment stairs and out to the Jeep.

I just kept reminding myself... "You weenie, there are 5' 4" chicks that can do this".

Yes, I have been talking to a instructors, looking for a good match, and making plans for the future. I do appreciate your views on the matter since you're speaking from experiance that I don't have.

#73 bann

bann

Getting started

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 09:56 PM

It was a challenge just getting them down the apartment stairs and out to the Jeep.

Down the stairs!!!!!!!!!! :cool1: How on earth did you get them up the stairs???? I find up so much more difficult then down (gravity and all). And I am a Wus, I use 100's, tried 112's LOL, couldn't stand up. :)

#74 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 12:35 AM

It was a challenge just getting them down the apartment stairs and out to the Jeep.

Down the stairs!!!!!!!!!! :o How on earth did you get them up the stairs???? I find up so much more difficult then down (gravity and all). And I am a Wus, I use 100's, tried 112's LOL, couldn't stand up. :)

I have this thing about challenges. If i set my mind to it, it tends to get accomplished.

Not that the 104's were easy at first, but now they aren't too hard to pack around. Up, down, stepping off the dock into tiny rocking boats, up and down steep goat trails... Guess you can say I rose to the occaision. :teeth:

#75 mischievous

mischievous

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 17 May 2004 - 04:50 PM

Guess you can say I rose to the occaision.

i think he wrote that just to tease all of us sitting on our hands. :cool2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users