• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Calling All Southern California Divers

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 mischievous

mischievous

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 24 May 2004 - 03:46 PM

oh...that's why you had those zippers added where you did! now i understand. :teeth:

#32 passion diver

passion diver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Cert Level:Aow / Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Only 15 great dives!!!

Posted 24 May 2004 - 03:54 PM

you mentioned hand warmers...where can i get some?? i've re-entered (so to speak) the realm of cold water, and my hands go numb pretty fast.....

I got some at the scuba convention.... they are very kool. I'll get the info for you when I get home. All you have to do is push the button and the pack crystalizes causing it to heat up. Lasts for about an hour, and you can reuse it about 500 times!! :teeth:

#33 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 24 May 2004 - 04:14 PM

you mentioned hand warmers...where can i get some?? i've re-entered (so to speak) the realm of cold water, and my hands go numb pretty fast.....

I got some at the scuba convention.... they are very kool. I'll get the info for you when I get home. All you have to do is push the button and the pack crystalizes causing it to heat up. Lasts for about an hour, and you can reuse it about 500 times!! :teeth:

Ok girl now you've got MY attention! The original WWW...warm water wuss!!! So who is the manufacturer?? Fess up all you can tell us about these hand warmers! Gotta love that they are re-usable...I'm all about re-using something that keeps me warm! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#34 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 24 May 2004 - 04:31 PM

[just as an aside, there are very few certainties in the world ... me wearing a swimsuit OTHER than a speedo is one of them.

here's a certainty.....if you DID perchance wear those speedos, i'd make sure you weren't wearing them for long.....
as for hand warmers...promises, promises. i'm still chilled from that quarry dive :cool1:

#35 AndrewJD

AndrewJD

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced, DIR-F
  • Logged Dives:130

Posted 24 May 2004 - 04:45 PM

Mischievous.... I was looking at the full masks with the communication devices. After I find a permanent dive buddy, I'm going to get one! Wouldn't that be kool!

Passion Diver,

A full face mask with communicaiton is a useful tool but there are some significant risks that you need to be aware of in there use.

The biggest risk is carbon dioxide. A full face mask creates deadspace. As you breath this deadspace has the potential to accumalte carbon dioxide. High enough carbon dioxide levels lead to unconsiousness and that's not good underwater.

Another factor to consider is sharing air. If you and your buddy are diving a full face mask and you need to share air how are you going to do it? Is your shared regulator going to be a standard regulator? Does one of you now have to remove the full mask? Are you going to carry a standard mask so that you can do this or is your full mask going to be able to switch regulators? All of this increases the complexity of sharing air.

If you aren't doing a dive with your "permenent" buddy will you use a standard regulator and mask? Now you're changing your gear and your responses to an emergency will differ.

Given the above does a fully face mask with comms enhance your enjoyment and safety of a given dive?

A full face mask with comms can be a useful tool to enhance a dive. But, it can also introduce additional risk into a dive where it's not really needed.

Anyway, that's just some things to consider. You're free to make your own choices.

I'll see you around.

Jonathan

#36 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 24 May 2004 - 05:43 PM

I got some at the scuba convention.... they are very kool. I'll get the info for you when I get home. All you have to do is push the button and the pack crystalizes causing it to heat up. Lasts for about an hour, and you can reuse it about 500 times!! :cool1:

Ok girl now you've got MY attention! The original WWW...warm water wuss!!! So who is the manufacturer?? Fess up all you can tell us about these hand warmers! Gotta love that they are re-usable...I'm all about re-using something that keeps me warm! -ww

Walter lent me something similar last weekend to dive. It's a heat pack that straps around your waist with a velcro band made for back injuries orginally, I think. It worked wonders keeping me warm during my dive & best of all is reusable- just boil it for a half an hour (right, Walter?) & reuse.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#37 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 05:44 PM

...rocks, huh?? i wonder if that'd work in the carribbean.....

It does, but ya gotta be patient, it takes years for Sheephead Bass to swim all the way from California.

again with the sense of humor, walter. watch it...or we'll take that CURMUDGEON label right away from you!

#38 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 05:46 PM

just boil it for a half an hour (right, Walter?) & reuse.

wait... you have to boil walter to reuse him??

no WONDER he's a curmudgeon

#39 passion diver

passion diver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 05:51 PM

Jonathan, thank you for all the advise. I had not thought of all those things. But when I do eventually get one, I will remember them and practice in a pool "out-of-air" conditions. I will also do extra homework regarding the safety aspect. I'm rescue certified, so I'm always on the lookout for potential problems. Plus I didn't know about the carbon dioxide risk. ... Have you done any diving with them? Some of the masks have their own built-in regulators and the cheaper ones fit into a small whole by your mouth.
Anyway, thanks for the tips and warning. :cool1:

~Elaine

#40 passion diver

passion diver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 05:53 PM

....... at least Walter will be "tender" if he is boiled! :cool1: ~Elaine

#41 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 05:59 PM

:cool1: He's going to shed that label one of these days, TF! I do have to admit, it's easly to bring him to a boil- just mention....well, never mind (get you mind out of the gutter, girl!). But, he's sure a great sport about dancing, even if there's no one else on the dance floor!!
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#42 wrinkles

wrinkles

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Cert Level:OW

Posted 24 May 2004 - 06:21 PM

I just wanted to Thank Scott for the tickets to the show.

I had a great time and saw lots of people that I knew from this board and the other board. I dont have the pics here but there are some on the other board. It wasnt my camera so I dont have them to down load here.

Thanks again Scott. Look forward to diving with you. (Maybe even in these cold waters :cool1: )

Ana

#43 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 06:50 PM

But, he's sure a great sport about dancing, even if there's no one else on the dance floor!!

girl, i'm high-fivin' ya from chicago!

hey zen...can you find a high-five smilie??

#44 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 06:53 PM

But, he's sure a great sport about dancing, even if there's no one else on the dance floor!!

girl, i'm high-fivin' ya from chicago!

hey zen...can you find a high-five smilie??

Ya' know- we gotta help ol' Z out & go find a few good emoticons for him. I want a sexy blonde one.... :anna:
Marvel

Posted Image

#45 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 06:54 PM

i can FIND 'em...i just don't know how to get them to him!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users