• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Diving Photographers reveal your hardware!

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#16 mischievous

mischievous

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 07 May 2004 - 05:19 PM

i know...<sniffle> won't be able to participate in the photo fun in bonaire unless someone...<hint...hint...jamie, where's your atm card at?....> it's okay, buoyancy first, UW photos 2nd.

#17 DivingGal

DivingGal

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster.... love looking at critters, but enjoy wrecks when I can't
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 07 May 2004 - 05:26 PM

Marvel... I think you have a marvel-ous idea :wakawaka:
Sometimes, you just gotta be

#18 nycamico

nycamico

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Cert Level:OW 2, Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 07 May 2004 - 06:22 PM

Hi- using an olympus 3040 and olympus housing with one strobe. I bring a small laptop along and plenty of rechargeable batteries. I can watch DVDs on the laptop in flight or on the boat. The main benefit is instant gratification!! Nothing like it. The toys are pricey, but heck, whay's money for anyway? I will upgrade when we get to the 6 or 7 meg range, and would definitely consider video. The one drawback there is hours of editing time to get something worth watching. Best of all worlds is one still diver and a good buddy with video! Have fun!! I really enjoyed taking as digital photo course on the Aggressor last year in Bay Islands.
:)

#19 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 07 May 2004 - 07:18 PM

Marvel... I think you have a marvel-ous idea :)

I agree!! :D
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#20 DiveScoop

DiveScoop

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 07 May 2004 - 07:46 PM

As mentioned earlier, I used the Sea & Sea DX3000 set-up on the Cozumel trip. It was very easy to use and download images to the computer following each day of diving. There is a built-in strobe, but I used a strong external strobe on the trip.

For those going on the Bonaire trip (hint 'Chie), I'm willing to let my fellow SD.com divers give this cool digital still camera a try!

Scoop
:)
Dive Scoop

#21 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 07 May 2004 - 10:06 PM

Well, I have just entered into UW photography with the purchase of an Olympus 5050 camera with a PT-015 housing. I have yet to dive with it (just got it last week). I am still getting used to the camera on land, and then I will take it UW.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

#22 Sweeper

Sweeper

Getting started

• Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 08 May 2004 - 07:48 AM

I use an Olympus C4040 in the P010 housing with a YS90-DX strobe. I just learning how to use the strobe effectively so you'll see me fiddling with it in Bonaire.

One thing I'd change would be the ability to use hard-wired TTL. For that I'd need to go with the IKelite housing AND strobe or go for the Light and Motion housing. Either option is more expensive than what I want to spend for a non-major issue.

I am changing my arm from Locline to something stiffer like ULCS. The former flops around too much even underwater.

I researched plenty before I finally bought. Consider not the latest models. The C4040 is much cheaper than the C8080 and even the C5050, yet does as great a job with fewer bells and whistles which actually make the C4040 simpler to learn. It's 4.1 megapixels which is plenty for my uses.

So DiverLady have fun shopping!

Michael
We can have what we want or our reasons why not!

#23 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 02:08 PM

Okay so I'm looking at an Olympus C-750 w/ PT-018 housing.

Issues:
-no AF illuminator which I think I might be able to live without as long as I have a flashlight with me which I always do.
- no auto flash on super macro. I don't know how often I'll use super macro. The flash does work for regular macro.
- do I wait for Olympus to make the housing for the C-770 instead? The cameras seem pretty much the same. The LCD is a bit bigger on the C-770 and it's a tad lighter in weight.

I like the idea of the 10X optical zoom. I realize that it probably won't do much good underwater but topside it might come in handy.

Anyone know about either of these cameras?

Diverlady

#24 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 08 May 2004 - 02:32 PM

I have a C-5050 with PT-015 housing for digital stills, and really just started using it. Loads of fun so far, though I won't be able to really get outstanding results with it without getting a strobe for it, which is money I don't have right this second. :dltears: You really can't go wrong buying a C-5050, because there's so much support for it already in terms of good housings and accessories, but if I bought again today, I'd probably go with the C-5060 for a couple of reasons. The 5060 has true TTL rather than the pseudo TTL that the 5050 and earlier versions of camedias have, and believe me, the difference is noticible. Ikelite has a modestly priced housing for it ( I think L&M Tetras are sweet, but way too pricey ) that offers real TTL strobe connection, and their strobes are excellent. A friend of mine is using this combination and the results are incredible to say the least.

UW video is tons of fun too. Some might say it's easier to get good results from the start, provided you have good mastery of buoyancy control. I use a Sony digital 8 camera in an Ocean Images housing. I'm in the process of building lights for it, but so far my results have been pretty good using a green water filter and a wide angle adaptor lens. Editing the film is pretty time consuming, but the end result is a lot more fun to show my non-diving friends than still pics. The quirky behaviors you see underwater are captured best on video.

I guess I can't seem to make up my mind whether still or video is my favorite, I love them both equally, for different reasons. I guess I need to find a buddy who'll be willing to use my video stuff when I'm shooting stills, and my still camera when I'm shooting video... Ladies??? :welcome:

Edited by Coo's Toe, 08 May 2004 - 02:33 PM.

#25 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 10 May 2004 - 10:40 PM

CT -
I hear ya man...
Same thing when I started. Got the Sony PC100? w/Ocean Images housing, lights, WA lens etc. (was thinking of HID attached to the housings ) and really had fun with it... but as you're finding out, many-many hours in editing to keep something short and keep the viewers attention span. I flipped over and went with Stills... but still have an interest.. LOL :D when the still is in shop, I'll pull the video..

DL -
I'd recommend staying with the Oly C-5050 for a number of good reasons...
- other people have it, used it, wrote about it, worked it.
- no unexpected bugs in it
- plenty of web resources, there's an Oly 5050 Yahoo group (deals mainly above water)
- the 8080 is nice but believe for starting out the 5050 is your best bet. 8080 hasn't, that I've found, blown the ceiling off the Digital Quality scale. It is bigger but not as evaluated as the 5050... the quality is probably not much difference if you hang around the 11x17 photo prints (or whatever the size is..)
Super Macro, yeah :teeth: , you'll be using it...
Flashlites, UK 4 with foam in the lens, can act as a focusing lite in dark areas, but you'll have to tie it down somehere as you're shooting and shining a flashlight (low power) as you shoot.. and might need some more hands??, or you'll get a "Hot spot" from the light.. heheh.. never easy is it??...
I use a small UK 4 attached and it works great up here as every dive is like a night dive... vis/plankton blooms etc.

4040 -
I'm using the 4040 and would love to upgrade to the 5050, even thought about going through the motions, but can't justify dumping the 4040 Rig overall... well, not just yet anyway.. :D
It takes good pic, but the problem is that it's an older camera...
I say that because "When !!!" you flood it, after buying the housings, strobes (you can transfer strobes, but need synch cords etc), trays etc, IF they can't repair it since they tend to drop the servicing on it after a few years, you're stuck with it...

They might have one in refurbishing dept but those are dwindling.. so your only recourse is E-bay. I'm going to buy one from E-bay and keep it for a back up and spare for when I can't get it repaired/replaced. If you can't fix the camera, the housing becomes a "Door Stop".. I wish we could find a generic housing and just pop in the newest camera as it comes out.. but NOT!!!... whole new rig each time

I'll drop off now, but let me know if you need any other feed back..
I just got back from a Canadian Trip (Sunshine Coast) and was using my old Niknas V - Close up lens with Film and one strobe.. heheh.. not sure how they'll come out, but will post if anything good... :lol:

Hope that helps??
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#26 SuperDave

SuperDave

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 07:12 AM

Hi DL,
Recently I purchased the Oly C-5050, Oly PT-015 housing, S&S YS-90DX, and a Ikelite tray with flex arms. Right before my Coz trip the stobe died on me so I'm not able to show any pics of what the whole system can produce, but I am very happy with the camera. We downloaded 3 camera's worth of pics over the week on my laptop and I believe the Oly produced the better pics with less work.

For those of you going to Bonaire I highly recommend at least one person take a laptop, then everyone with cameras (don't forget your cable) can download each day and compare pics. Helps the learning curve and makes for great fun over a nice adult beverage.

Dave
Member of Sikorsky Light Utility Taxi Service Kuwait

#27 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 08:32 AM

Thanks everyone for the info. :wakawaka: I've been looking around for the C-5050 based on the info I've received here but they seem rather scarce. So, I've then been looking at the C-5060 instead. It's readily available. I'm still reviewing it.

DL

#28 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 11 May 2004 - 08:47 AM

DL - Hmmm... interesting... I just check with B & H Photo
http://www.bhphotovi...=15&Submit.y=13

and don't see the 5050 so you're probably right, interesting... :P

Just make sure that the housing you choose is FOR the camera you want..

Good luck... :wakawaka:

You probably already have this, but dpreview.com
is a good indicator:
http://www.dpreview.com/
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#29 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 12:06 PM

Yep, I've got that already fbp, but thanks!! :wakawaka:

DL

#30 IRONPIG

IRONPIG

Getting started

• Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Cert Level:open water and nitrox
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 11 May 2004 - 12:09 PM

Guess Im still in the stoneage.I just cant seem to give up the 35mm.Maybe someday.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users