• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Buoyancy Control?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#46 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 08 May 2004 - 11:11 PM

(Darth) Yes, there are some real cuties on this board from Texas

You hear that Diving Divas....CT thinks we're cute!

Yes Princess,

Are you going to start flying through the air now like Rudolf?

We all think that you're cute!

Now about that videotaping:

It would be great if the shops wanted to pay for the extra instructor in the water with the video camera. You have to remember that any instructor don't camera work doesn't count as working with a class and that is an extra person to pay per class which is already cut-throat in pricing.

Edited by Diverbrian, 08 May 2004 - 11:14 PM.

A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#47 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 08 May 2004 - 11:19 PM

why does it have to be an instructor?? why not just one of your dive buddies with a camera? it's not like the cameraman would actually need to do anything with the student except film him, so liability wouldn't be an issue.
seems like any experienced diver would be able to help you out....

just a thought (and it damn near wrecked my brain having it, too)

#48 bigblueplanet

bigblueplanet

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 08 May 2004 - 11:30 PM

Ah see another mistaken impression. I do not tape while I am evaluating skills. I tape during free practice. Usually I have a DM do it. With OW you have to pick and choose your moments. The real deal is to tape when they think they are not being evaluated. That is the diving you want to help them with anyway. Also, I film the work in shallow water as they are practicing buoyancy and in deep water. Again, throw a DM on it and be specific. Part of the importance in shooting is to only shoot what you need for review with a couple looks for the student to see. If you have too much stuff the students go to sleep during video analysis.

Once you are out of OW, there is no restriction on taping as the instructor. You do not need all of the course, just a few selects of each student. If you have a DM, which I always do (usually more than one) it makes it easy. You can work on it without adding staff. You are not shooting for broadcast. Just get a wide lense, point and shoot. Simple stuff. Grab moments as you can or during skill circuits. that way you can defend the position and there really is no arguement about it.

Hey, I am sure that there are great looking women from all over. Just was impressed by the Texas crew. I am sure I will be impressed with all the ladies regardless of lo cal.

The Diving Divas. Oh My. I can tell I am in trouble already. LOL

<wink>

Grant

Edited by bigblueplanet, 08 May 2004 - 11:32 PM.

#49 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 09 May 2004 - 12:25 AM

why does it have to be an instructor?? why not just one of your dive buddies with a camera? it's not like the cameraman would actually need to do anything with the student except film him, so liability wouldn't be an issue.
seems like any experienced diver would be able to help you out....

just a thought (and it damn near wrecked my brain having it, too)

Grant might be able to give us the real lowdown on this, but I suspect if a diver is in the water videotaping a class, PADI would consider him involved in the class, and there would be liability issues involved to some degree.

I was headed down the divemaster training path ( Yes, PADI, folks ) before I had a radical change in thinking. I learned a bit about the legal side of dive training, and there are instructor to student ratios involved. So with a given number of students in the water, and a given number of divemasters assisting, and the duties they have to perform that would be compromised if any one of them were focused on operating a camera, you're looking a situation that will require an extra diver in the water just to function as a cameraman, to keep it all legal.

Can you reliably line up that extra person for every class on a strictly volunteer basis? Probably not. I might do it every so often, but I'd rather go DIVING ( as opposed to assisting with classes ) unless there's pay involved. A lot of divemasters work on a volunteer basis because they are heading towards becoming instructors, or in exchange for discounts on dive gear, ie the shop is paying them in some form. Adding an extra divemaster to each class probably won't fly in the cutthroat world of OW classes. GUE provides a cameraman for every dive ( I really don't know how they compensate the video guys ), but they keep the classes small, and being specialized classes with greater demand than supply, they do charge more, and there's not nearly the cutthroat competition driving prices down like there is in OW classes.

One idea would be to set up a camera on a weighted tri-pod, hit record, then have students come to the instructor one by one to demonstrate skills. But this wouldn't be as effective as a live operator, especially seeing how OW classes are quick to destroy the visibility in the area skills are being performed. Bill and Grant would probably both agree that this idea wouldn't work well.

#50 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 09 May 2004 - 07:42 AM

Walter, I do hope you are playing devil's advocate and pulling some legs.

Actually, no. I'm always moving. It may be just my fin tips, but I'm never motionless.

Why hover motionless? Well, to observe wildlife with minimal movement to try to be able to observe them without them reacting to you. Shooting so I can line up a shot without contact with the bottom and not move to risk impact on visibility.

Motionless won't accomplish these goals if you have any current at all. Perhaps you mean "with minimal motion" rather than "motionless"?

To establish the optimum kit to maximize the efficency, so no extra work has to be performed beyond what is necessary. Everything should be optimized to require the least amount of thought and effort for the diver.

Excellent! OTOH, motionless requires intense concentration, while minimal motion can be automatic.

It is zen, you should try it. The idea is that you only use energy to move through the water, not to maintain body position.

I've been there for decades. I just don't believe you truly mean motionless.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#51 bigblueplanet

bigblueplanet

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 09 May 2004 - 12:52 PM

Okay Walter obviously we have a difference of opinion, which is fine. If you have a current and want to maintain position of course you have to move. On the other hand, if I am drift diving, I only move to move closer to the reef or to turn. Breathing takes care of most of the up and down adjustments. The great thing is you can dive any way you want and so can I. Neither of them or wrong just what we do. I am not here to prove one way works better than the other. I have my opinion on that, but I think we can leave it we just agree to disagree.

Also, for tech diving our preferred method for decompression with current is to do live boat blue water hangs so we do not have to fight the current. In those situations we do deco and drift motionless for long periods of time. This does not mean never moving, but we certainly are not moving all the time. Just do not need to. We will increase activity at the end of the decompression, but that is just to increase blood flow to the arms and legs. That movement is done to provide no direction change or movement at all, just keep blood flow moving a bit.

I think the debate is looking at two different things. You are kind of saying why master not moving if you are going to have to move all the time any way. I am saying why not master no moving buoyancy if it is going to improve skill base and actually will be used. Even in current, I have hooked a finger on a piece of wreckage and have done detailed work with the other hand. The ability to stay motionless with the rest of my body kept my legs off the sensitive wreck and avoided any risk of kicking up silt. Flat turns are another area where mastering buoyancy without moving helps. The ability to stay flat as the diver turns over a fixed position is important for detailed. When the diver is not balanced and they try to do this, they will rarely be able to stay flat.

Moving will always make it easier and moving faster helps even more. But, I want my clients to master the actual skill without the help of the lift while moving. It only makes it easier in the long run and they have a better foundation in buoyancy skills. Harder is not a bad thing, it makes you better.

It really is all about freedom. I have viewed all my work and training about mastering the skill sets to where I have the freedom to go do any dive I want to. I did not want to be kept from chasing any goal I wanted to go after. In that process a funny thing happened. The actual dive operations got easier from a personal side. I found that I did not have to think about what I was doing when I had trained it to a level of automaticity. It freed me up to accomplish more of a task list on the bottom. The whole reason I was there. During fun dives, it allows me to see more and just enjoy the interaction with the environment more. It frees the mind to use energy that used to go to the diving part of it to be used toward whatever else I want.

Plus, sometimes on dives it is nice to shut down all the movement and just be in the water. That alone is worth it to me to master hovering totally motionless. I have to disagree. Totally motionless does not require intense concentration. The whole idea is that you let it all go. I think you are equating totally motionless with not moving around in the water column. If the water is moving you will move. Really it is becoming a piece of plankton. You do not move and if the water does you move with it. It is a very relaxed state. It is not an all or nothing thing. When you are chillin out and not moving, if you decide you want to spin a bit you give a small flick of the foot and move. There are no rules about it. It does take a lot of work in the beginning and concentration for the person trying to master it. But, once it is mastered it adds freedoms to the diving. It is a hard thing to do until it is automatic, but the divideneds are large.

I guess we just disagree. Probably beaten this horse dead as dead can be. It is all good.

CT First off, I think you are imagining a video production that is far more than what is needed. The standards really are written against cameras on DSDs. The rest of the courses it is more open, really does not say actually. The standard was written into DSD because they were shooting during the program to sell the photos or tape to the guests. This is tape being shot as an instructional add. OW and above is not DSD. The real question is can you supervise practice and grab shots. Depends if you are looking though a viewfinder or not.

I have a very wide angle port on my camera. The unit is small and easy to grab quick shoots with. I do not shoot while I am directly evaluating students with set skills. I do not see a great value in that any way, they get immediate feedback with those skills as it is. Plus, I need to be totally present for those skills.

In the pool, I have no problem taping general practice while I am the only one in the pool without a DM. I feel I am defendable in that use and I know I am going to be able to respond to a diver in need just as well with or with the camera.

In OW, I pick and choose my moments to shoot a bit more carefully. But, again when it is set up well, you have a defendable position with it as well.

Now, when a DM is around, I do not have to have them anyway, I can have them film all they want. If it were not a DM and they were there to just shoot that would be fine. There is no risk if they are not a DM because they would not have any authority to supervise to begin with. I am not a lawyer, but I would believe the shooter would fall under my insurance or the shop's as a staff person. They have no need to be worried.

Outside of open water course training the field is wide open. You can film all you like. There is no standard against it. Besides on most things you are allowed to supervise indirectly while students conduct drills. Video as a training add is defendable and a great thing. If you pick times to shoot that are not high risk and work smart it is doable at any level of course. DMs are only going to make the situation easier. Ratios are ratios, but the application of the ratios is up to the best practice of the instructor. As long as you can defend safety and control, taping is defendable. It is workable.

My two big cents.

G2

Edited by bigblueplanet, 09 May 2004 - 12:54 PM.

#52 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 09 May 2004 - 01:02 PM

<psss....sorry to interrupt...> grant, the ladies from CA were too busy diving this weekend, but you'll be impressed with them when they say hello. besides, we do have lovelies all over (not just texas...we're just more attention seeking in the big D)...did you see the pic Marvel linked of herself!

#53 blue angel

blue angel

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:37+

Posted 09 May 2004 - 02:07 PM

The video is the best idea, I think.
I saw myself on a video and I saw everything I was doing wrong.
I also saw some good things as well
The past is history
The future is a mystery
The present is a gift
So enjoy it !!

#54 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 09 May 2004 - 02:13 PM

hey blue angel! what an awesome pic...and cute dog too. don't forget to post an intro so that everyone can say hi.

#55 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 09 May 2004 - 02:53 PM

Grant.... Like I said, I'm no expert on the legal issues of PADI courses. I dropped out of the DM training for my own personal reasons and therfore am no expert on conducting classes. My input is based only on A) my experiance shooting video, and B) my experiance reviewing video footage of myself as a student. Shooting good focused footage of individual students will require some concentration on the part of the cameraman. I don't think filming OW students in the ocean would be as valuable as it was for the more advanced skills I was taped doing, but in a pool with clear water, it might be an excellent teaching aid.

I can't agree with you more about the motionless thing. Divers tend to fight it. If they're not actively swimming forward, their bouyancy/trim tends to get wacky and they start moving to compensate. A good test of control is the ability to just hang doing nothing. As relaxed as most of us feel underwater, that totally relaxed state is hard to find, but it's a worthwhile goal. I'll quit beating the horse now too...

#56 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 03:02 PM

Grant,

I believe most of our differences are misunderstanding what the other is saying. I suspect our diving styles are more similar than different. I don't control my buoyancy with motion. When you say motionless, I envision a statue. I don't believe this is the image you intend to put across.

DSSW,

WWW™

#57 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 09 May 2004 - 05:11 PM

Gentlemen, awesome discussion- thanks again for all the insight & knowledge! Since my idea of a great dive is to actually attain that weightless freedom, (upside down is one of my favorite posistions in the water, Walter), that stillness which allows me to communicate with my Maker, I read all the posts with a great deal of interest & attention. I've gotten some great ideas on how to work toward the mastery that will allow me to experience that more often.

'Chie, you make me :helpsmily:
Blue Angel, :teeth: & welcome to sd.com. As 'Chie said, post an intro so we can greet you properly. I promise the thread will disintegrate into a three ring circus!! Come to think of it, this post has been serious long enough, too!!
Guys, you got a reprieve on the flirting but don't expect it to last for long! I've got a few things in mind for you all :anna:

Edited by Marvel, 09 May 2004 - 05:12 PM.

Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#58 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 05:38 PM

BTW, I dived with blue angel at Venice Beach recently. She's a delightful young lady.

DSSW,

WWW™

#59 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 09 May 2004 - 05:54 PM

BTW, I dived with blue angel at Venice Beach recently. She's a delightful young lady.

Cool! I've got to get over there & dive with you sometime too. I don't mind zero viz at all as long as the waters warm :helpsmily:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#60 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 08:42 PM

I don't mind zero viz at all as long as the waters warm

Soon it will be.

DSSW,

WWW™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users