• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Wreck Diving

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#16 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:24 AM

Yeah, Perrone, great thread!

As a kid my two favorite holidays were Christmas and Halloween. I loved watching horror movies, but not the slasher & totally predictable BS they make today or really crappy movies like "The Cave," but rather the well-written gothic ones about haunted houses, curses, witches, ghosts, etc. My favorite classical authors are Edgar Allen Poe and Ambrose Bierce. I'm also an explorer by nature. I started snorkeling as a child and hiking through forests. Being underwater or in the woods were my two favorite places. I like wrecks because they provide that perfect blend of mystery, history, intrigue, challenge, and danger, plus they hold a romantic and even a gothic flavor at times. Going inside the dark and twisted labyrinth of a shipwreck is much like exploring a castle, an ancient ruin, an Egyptian tomb, or anything else you can explore and never know what you'll find around the next turn. It's also a chance to remember those whose lives few recall. We often pass cemetaries in our day to day lives and see people visiting the graves of loved ones or famous people. As divers, we have the special privilege of being able to see and appreciate the ships that were home to crews that perished in maritime disasters and remember them and have a greater understanding of their importance on shaping history through trade, warfare, transportation, and how shipping changed and contributed to the world we live in today.

It's awesome to float weightless and relaxed through all of this, knowing that you're risking your life to see a part of the world few people ever will. Those of us who penetrate are playing on game day and not sitting home as an armchair adventurer living vicariously through others. I really enjoy intact wrecks and my favorites are big wrecks in shallow water because you have far more time to explore inside them. I haven't always run line either so it's been thrilling at times to just get lost in the maze and have the high risk challenge of having to find your way back out. But, that was young man's foolishness as a teen and when in college. Now, I pride myself on being safe and I've just discovered a far better way to stage bottles inside wrecks as of two weeks ago. It involves gunracking bottles through an angle on the line so they are held far more securely and out of the way. I stumbled on it by accident while making a high to low tie off and I wanted to leave bottles inside the wreck. It worked so well that I'm going to have to teach it to all my students.

Just like any other avenue in diving, wreck diving can be as safe or as dangerous as you want to make it.

My ideal wreck dive would be to enter an ocean liner as it was flooding and sinking in a race to recover valuables (for myself), as the passengers were being evacuated, before it took the dive to the bottom. I think I just became flagged by the Dept. of Homeland Security and I won't be allowed in the same proximity as any ship that begins with "Q" and "E". :teeth:

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#17 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 20 September 2005 - 03:25 PM

Just to add though I am still a bit of a newbie, I have done a couple of wreck dives here in the northeast and a weekend in North Carolina. Right now I will dive anywhere I can. Here in northeast, it is wreck diving as Latitude says. My first wreck dive was on the USS San Diego, a WWI cruise that was sunk in 1918. I surfaced with an amazed look on my face and can't wait to get wet again, with a dry suit this time. I'm also a bit of a history buff and this is history. North Carolina is also amazing with the different wrecks that are easily accessible. I guess it is just something in our psychic makeup that makes us interested in this specialty.

Do I dive elsewhere? Heck yeah! I travel several times a year and my vacations are determined on where I want to dive. As long as there is something to see, I'm ready to giant stride in. Diving in of itself is addicting and I don't think there are many better things you could do that is this adventurous and beyond most peoples perceptions.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#18 leaudaustin

leaudaustin

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:51

Posted 21 September 2005 - 11:09 AM

... and not nearly enough 'respect' for the water is a sure mix for big problems. I wouldn't take anything lightly unless I had gills...

I don't know...whales and turtles seem to do okay in the water. If I were like them, I'd probably take swimming at depth pretty lightly <dreaming...>. Seems to me that it's the lack of "respect" (aka "appropriate fear") for people that gets those ungilled beauties in trouble.

(Yeah, I know I took your comments and wandered over into left field. :D)

#19 casematic

casematic

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Cert Level:master
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 21 September 2005 - 05:57 PM

(Yeah, I know I took your comments and wandered over into left field. :cool1:)

left field is cool.... I hadn't even thought about the whales and turtles.... I did get to snorkle with some pilot whales in the water once... it was pretty neat... (a little further into left field).

but back to the thread...we were talking about wrecks, right?. I guess I am just a little timid on penetrating very far into them (and leaving a trail of breadcrumbs so to speak).

KC :teeth:

#20 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 12:25 PM

A quick thanks to everyone for sharing so far in this thread. I think divers are, by nature, curious people. What other reason could there be for someone to voluntarily strap on 30-100 pouds of gear, and jump in the water!

It's also curious to hear the similarities between people who enjoy wrecks. Most that I have talked to seem to be somewhat technically inclined, but curiously, many have an interest in history. I found this in myself. It wasn't just that I had a curious fascination with a big hunk of metal in the ocean, but rather, I enjoyed reading about the history behind how that vessel came to be where it is? Was is sunk in battle, was there some natural disaster that caused it's demise? Was it the concerted effort of a group of people that caused it to be sunk as an artificial reef?

Some dive to look for "buried treasure" in and around the boats. Others dive in hopes of finding a virgin wreck and perhaps collecting a bell or other prize. Some simply become lost in a previous time when that wreck might have gone down and try to imagine perhaps being a passenger or a member of the crew. The German U-Boats in particlar seem to foster these kinds of thoughts in divers.

There also seem to be several divers here at various stages on this path. Some, like me are BOW divers just getting into the idea of diving. Others are seeking them out and doing swim arounds or swim throughs. And yet others have the skill and experience to actually penetrate them and learn their secrets. Reading the words of all here have enticed me to actually pay for a membership, and after improving my skills (a lot) I hope to perhaps join some members here for a dive. Maybe we can all agree to do a dive on some wreck, somewhere at our own levels. I understand Bermuda has some nice wrecks in shallow water. Of course North Carolina has many many wrecks and the water isn't too cold, though some may be a bit deep for some divers.

Is anyone familiar with what might be available off Bimini? I've always wanted to go there, and I never hear it spoken of in terms of dive destinations, despite how close it is.

#21 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:36 PM

Is anyone familiar with what might be available off Bimini? I've always wanted to go there, and I never hear it spoken of in terms of dive destinations, despite how close it is.

Bimini and Cat Cay (about 15 miles to the south) are awesome. Beautiful wall diving and coral formations. I have been there many times. It is only about four hours or less from Miami by boat.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#22 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 23 September 2005 - 05:21 PM

I have been wanting to reply in this thread and have not had the time to post my full feelings on this....but I will!

However I must comment on this:

Reading the words of all here have enticed me to actually pay for a membership, and after improving my skills (a lot) I hope to perhaps join some members here for a dive.

He was not kidding...I got his payment today! :birthday: Thank you my dear! And don't worry about NC too much...I'm sure you'll do just fine when you tackle it! I should know! I've dove there once or twice! :birthday:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#23 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 24 September 2005 - 08:30 AM

I agree, great thread. From the guys I see on wreck dives, a lo are interested in history and of the wreck ion general. I always wnated to discoved an undocumented wreck and do to research to try to figure out what ship she was, and what circumstance caused her to sink.

Too bad many AOW divers hit a wreck without the proper training and feel they can do massive penetrations. The guys that scare me the most are the new ones who feel they can perfom 'progressive penetration' on a new wreck without running a line. Those are accidents waiting to happen, and if they are with a newer diver who believes in their skills that even scarier.

Peronne, which GUE instructor do you train with in Florida? My instructor is in Ft. Lauderdale and I'm practicing my skills to take Tech 1 next season. What level are you with GUE.

See Kamala, a lot more GUE minded guys (and gals? where are you?) are on the list. Wheres the GUE section? Huh...

V

#24 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 24 September 2005 - 09:50 AM

...many will not understand the fascination of wanting to spend hours or days swimming around a big hunk of steel when there are glorious reefs to explore. 

Thanks,

-P

I'm not trained to do penetration of wrecks, don't plan to. My only interests in wrecks are photo ops and plenty of marine life, i.e. as an artificial reef. Artifact recovery would be another interest, but that's rare, as most wrecks have nothing really worth recovering due to being picked clean either as part of the prep for an artificial reef, or it's just not practical for various reasons. Newly sunk wrecks don't necessarily hold a lot of interest for me.

Here's a link to a fascinating wreck I would like to dive, but it's too deep. The cache of bottles makes me salivate:

http://magma.nationa...omify/main.html

Edited by Brinybay, 24 September 2005 - 10:50 AM.

"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#25 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 01:29 PM

Peronne, which GUE instructor do you train with in Florida? My instructor is in Ft. Lauderdale and I'm practicing my skills to take Tech 1 next season. What level are you with GUE.

See Kamala, a lot more GUE minded guys (and gals? where are you?) are on the list. Wheres the GUE section? Huh...

V

I am not GUE trained. I hope to start GUE training in the spring. But I have a LOT of work to do before I can take DIRF. I hope to progress at least through Tech2 and Cave2 in the coming 4-5 years. I have asked JJ to train me and I am trying to work out a schedule with him. If not, I may ask one of the other guys to do it.

As for a GUE section here, I'm inclined not to ask for one. I think we have enough problems being sectioned off or segregated, and to be honest, I just want to dive.

#26 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 24 September 2005 - 01:48 PM

Now, I pride myself on being safe and I've just discovered a far better way to stage bottles inside wrecks as of two weeks ago. It involves gunracking bottles through an angle on the line so they are held far more securely and out of the way. I stumbled on it by accident while making a high to low tie off and I wanted to leave bottles inside the wreck. It worked so well that I'm going to have to teach it to all my students.

Ok its official! Sign me up in your class Trace...or perhaps you'll show me this coming weekend in NC!!! :wakawaka:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#27 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 24 September 2005 - 09:59 PM

[quote name='PerroneFord' date='Sep 24 2005, 01:29 PM'] [/QUOTE]
[/quote]
[quote]As for a GUE section here, I'm inclined not to ask for one.  I think we have enough problems being sectioned off or segregated, and to be honest, I just want to dive.[/quote]

I just want to dive too, but a GUE section would be interesting to say the least.

GUE offers some unique insight and amazing training which is beneficial to recreation and technical divers. I don’t want to create a controversy but I think now that GUE trained divers are more numerous the old negative image is going away. People on the boats see divers who just want to dive and are not overly critical of other divers gear or training.

I still remember arriving on a dive boat and having people defend their gear choices to me without me ever saying anything about it. As the day went it got better and has been getting better ever since.

#28 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:12 AM

GUE offers some unique insight and amazing training which is beneficial to recreation and technical divers. I don’t want to create a controversy but I think now that GUE trained divers are more numerous the old negative image is going away. People on the boats see divers who just want to dive and are not overly critical of other divers gear or training.

I still remember arriving on a dive boat and having people defend their gear choices to me without me ever saying anything about it. As the day went it got better and has been getting better ever since.

This is exactly why I don't necessarily believe that a GUE section would be a good idea. While certainly NOT the world's largest fan of that system of diving, I DO like to read the insights that their divers have. I do believe that they have one of the best overall training systems out there.

But, I am trained somewhat differently and don't mind that. People need to see that in general, at the end of the day we are all divers and really just want to dive.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#29 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 28 September 2005 - 10:47 AM

:D
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#30 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:17 PM

Going to dust this thread off for a moment...

For those of you who enjoy wreck diving...

Do you prefer to dive shallow or deep wrecks? And do you prefer freshwater or salt. I think most are aware that deep freshwater wrecks are the holy grail if the SHIP is important to why you dive, or shallow salt water wrecks are where you go if marine life is what you seek.

My only question is why the deep, freshwater wrecks have to be in such COLD WATER!

LOL!

-P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users