• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Long Hose vs. Short Hose

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Poll: Which is Your Primary Regulator? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is Your Primary Regulator?

1. Short hose primary; I have never tried it any other way. (7 votes [25.93%])

Percentage of vote: 25.93%

2. Short hose primary; I have tried it both ways. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Long hose primary; I have never tried it any other way. (2 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

4. Long hose primary; I have tried it both ways. (7 votes [25.93%])

Percentage of vote: 25.93%

5. I have tried both ways, but I use the short hose. (2 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

6. I have tried both ways, I use the long hose. (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

7. I go back and forth. I still haven't decided, or it depends on what everyone else is doing that day. (1 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

8. I breathe from/donate the long hose, and I switch to a compact unit from my BCD/wing inflator. (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 20 September 2005 - 06:33 PM

During my original dive training, I was taught to use the short hose for my primary regulator, donating the long hose in an out of gas situation. Later, I received training in breathing from the long hose, donating it, and switching to the short hose in a gas sharing situation. Which do you use and why? Did you receive training using both methods?
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#2 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 20 September 2005 - 07:04 PM

Well, let's see... I have this hose that my LDS hooked up to my reg... I believe that it is shorter than my spare air hose but not significantly so (ie nothing like Kamala's!)

#3 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2005 - 07:21 PM

During my original dive training, I was taught to use the short hose for my primary regulator, donating the long hose in an out of gas situation. Later, I received training in breathing from the long hose, donating it, and switching to the short hose in a gas sharing situation. Which do you use and why? Did you receive training using both methods?

My training parallels yours: the long-hose octopus was what you were to give to your buddy in an OOA situation--and your buddy was to go for your octopus automatically as well. That was in 1982, in case anyone cares.

Let's talk about what I do in 2005: longer under the arm hose on my Sherwood (reduces profile in the water) and an air2 on the BCD as my secondary. Now in a OOA situation, I can deal with what my gut tells me is the more likely scenario--that a panicked diver will be scrabbling for the one regulator that he knows the location of--the one in my mouth (whether offered or not) and I can perform the natural motion of raising my left arm and bringing the air2 to my mouth and clearing it.

I've had this conversation with other divers, and find everyone has a valid opinion on this subject.

Platypusman

..presented in glorious Generation II Platypiivision.

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,666 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:04 PM

Well, let's see... I have this hose that my LDS hooked up to my reg... I believe that it is shorter than my spare air hose but not significantly so (ie nothing like Kamala's!)

Tsk Tsk....you weren't supposed to tell...girls NEVER tell about their long hose preferences!!! :o

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#5 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:27 PM

I was trained to use the short hose. Changed to long hose when I was exposed to it. Made excellent sense to me. Never looked back.

#6 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:56 PM

....well, my 'recreational' BOW / AOW classes taught the donate the long hose 'octo' while retaining the shorter hose primary second stage.......my 'tech' classes (ie. Advanced Nitrox / Deco Prodecures / Cavern / Intro Cave) taught the 'opposite' , donate the long-hose 'primary' and switch to a bungied short hose 'octo'.

..... in principle I agree with the 'tech' approach, since an OOA diver will like go for it anyway, might as well get comfortable and used to that approach.........however, I find myself torn between the 'tech' approach versus the 'recreational' approach due to a special circumstance, namely, my preference for using SEACURE mouthpieces.

...for the bulk of my diving I've elected to take the 'recreational' approach, retain my short hose SEACURE mouthpiece and donate a long-hose conventional mouth piece equipped 'octo'........as I'd rather not be miserable all the time for the sake of following a 'strict' DIR approach...........however, on 'tech' dives I make sure my dive buddies are OK with my SEACURES to avoid any nasty surprises with my donating a SEACURE equipped long-hose.

Karl

#7 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:47 PM

???

Karl, am I missing someting here? I thought seacure mouthpieces were easily available. Can't you just get more than one and use it on both your primary and secondar?

#8 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:47 PM

I moved the SeaCure to my O2 bottle. That way is unmistakable when I have the O2 reg in my mouth.

The mouth pieces that came with my Aqualung regs were pretty comfy and when I started doing DiveCon and Tech courses, I had to worry more about donating my primary anyways. The shop dives the integrated inflators (which make it necessary to donate the primary) and the more advanced training pushes it as well.

I dive long hose and bungied back-up. If I dove recreational gear (like I would have to work for pay out of the shop), it would be the 22 inch primary and Airsource. I don't have a problem with either rig. I just prefer the 7 ft. primary hose with a bungied back-up for my personal diving. I also prefer doubles for my personal diving as they give me more redundancy so that forces the issue.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#9 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:49 PM

???

Karl, am I missing someting here? I thought seacure mouthpieces were easily available. Can't you just get more than one and use it on both your primary and secondar?

Perrone,

The problem is that the SeaCure molds to the user's mouth. Depending the shape and size of one's mouth, the offered mouthpiece may gag the diver to whom that it is offered.

That is why none of our dive pros use the SeaCure on our "shop gear" at our shop.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#10 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 11:38 PM

Ok gotcha. I've never used one of these mouthpieces so it was somewhat foreign to me. Thanks for the explanation

#11 blacktar

blacktar

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OWSI, Normoxic Trimix, full cave
  • Logged Dives:700

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:52 PM

It depends on the type of diving I am doing. If I am rec diving, than I take my rec gear which includes a short hose. If I am doing a tech dive, than I use a long hose as my primary, which I will hand off.
Patrick
BLACKTAR
"The edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over." Hunter S. Thompson

#12 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 21 September 2005 - 04:01 PM

I dive a 7 foot hose for my primary and a bungied secondary on my double and single tanks. I feel it's the best method for both technical and recreational diving.

Donating your primary (on the 7 foot hose) reg in an OOG situation prevents further complications and makes the original emergency that much easier to handle.

#13 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 05:01 PM

It depends on the type of diving I am doing. If I am rec diving, than I take my rec gear which includes a short hose. If I am doing a tech dive, than I use a long hose as my primary, which I will hand off.
Patrick

Wow,

Do you find it confusing going back and forth? I think I could only handle one setup so that my muscle memory would be ready to go in an emergency. You must be one cool customer to be able to switch back and forth! :cool1:

#14 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 21 September 2005 - 06:35 PM

Ok gotcha.  I've never used one of these mouthpieces so it was somewhat foreign to me.  Thanks for the explanation

Hi PerroneFord,

......if you've ever seen a SEACURE, it's much bigger (long bite tabs) than a conventional mouthpiece, which is great as it allows one's back molar's to hold onto it easily with minimal bite force.......and it can be molded/trimmed to a custom fit, which may be unsuitable for another diver.......the extended bite tabs can cause a gag-reflex, a very undesirable surprise for a OOA diver. As noted, the tabs can be trimmed down to fit, but I like mine 'full-size', thus my dilemma. So, I've elected to compromse, dive the primary with my SEACURE, my 'octo' with a 'conventional' sized mouthpiece for the benefit of any OOA diver.

Karl

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,666 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 21 September 2005 - 11:39 PM

I have finally been convinced to sacrafice some performance on my octo and put the LONG hose on it. It seems when people are low on air they come to find me. :teeth: Fortunately I have lots to spare...and now its a lot easier doing that.

Although I must say...diving THAT close to all these great looking SD guys...has its benefits!!

Yes its true...usually only guys want my extra air! :lmao:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users