• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Long Hose vs. Short Hose

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Poll: Which is Your Primary Regulator? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is Your Primary Regulator?

1. Short hose primary; I have never tried it any other way. (7 votes [25.93%])

Percentage of vote: 25.93%

2. Short hose primary; I have tried it both ways. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Long hose primary; I have never tried it any other way. (2 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

4. Long hose primary; I have tried it both ways. (7 votes [25.93%])

Percentage of vote: 25.93%

5. I have tried both ways, but I use the short hose. (2 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

6. I have tried both ways, I use the long hose. (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

7. I go back and forth. I still haven't decided, or it depends on what everyone else is doing that day. (1 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

8. I breathe from/donate the long hose, and I switch to a compact unit from my BCD/wing inflator. (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 22 September 2005 - 06:29 AM

Perrone,
Your right on track...why bother learning two different ways to dive when one set-up works fine for everything from caves to open water. Switching back and forth between two different gear configuration only sets the diver up for a potential failure.

#17 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 22 September 2005 - 07:19 AM

I wore this to Back to School Night last night
Hose
I saw one guy in Spanish reading it, but I don't think he got it. :teeth:

#18 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 22 September 2005 - 05:22 PM

I wore this to Back to School Night last night
Hose
I saw one guy in Spanish reading it, but I don't think he got it. :teeth:

Hey, I have that shirt too!

I mean, I don't like to brag or anythin'.......... :cool2:
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#19 tdtexas

tdtexas

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:152 Bluewater, not counting lake/quarry dives

Posted 22 September 2005 - 10:40 PM

Are we talking about scuba equipment here or body parts?????? :birthday: :birthday: :hugs: :lmao: :lmao:
Live Life To The Fullest, ARE YOU WITH ME!!!!!!!

Tom

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
No, his mind is not for rent to any god or govement. Alway hopeful yet discontent. He knows changes are never permanent, but change is.

N. Peart

#20 maninthesea

maninthesea

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Cert Level:Trimix and Rebreather also Padi Inst and TDI Inst Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Quit that long ago-Nothing left to prove

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:18 PM

Unless I am in a cave or a wreck I dive with a "medium" 48"-52" long. I pass this off. If I need a hose long enough so someone can follow me or I can follow them I swap it in. Honestly it does not happen that often as there are not many caves here and I usually penetrate wrecks solo.
Cheers
Tip of the day- Never suck on a loaded gun!

#21 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 25 September 2005 - 09:50 AM

Their should be a category of it depends on the situation and diving conditions with who and what activities. Or all of the above.

whatever works for the time and place.

#22 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,666 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 13 October 2005 - 01:11 PM

After an excellent gear clinic on our last NC trip...(thanks Trace) I have decided to switch from the long hose as my secondary to the long hose on my primary. Not sure if it will stay that way as I get lots of volunteers for any extra air that I have so giving up my primary under those circumstances is not usually my first choice.

Giving up ANY air I have to help a diver in need is entirely different and I will gladly give anything I have! :cool2:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#23 George

George

IT Administrator & Owner

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Cert Level:OW

Posted 13 October 2005 - 03:11 PM

...and I will gladly give anything I have!

Won't go there...must b - e - h - a - v - e...

...stepping away from the keyboard :teeth:
Email me

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

#24 jholley309

jholley309

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 13 October 2005 - 03:55 PM

Both my primary and octo are on 35" hoses; the octo has bright yellow hose wrap around the hose, and the purge valve cover (which is HUGE: the octo is nearly identical to a Dive Rite RG1200-series octo) is the same color. It gets clipped to the right-hand shoulder harness d-ring on my BC. The low pressure ports on the regulator first stage swivel (again, like a Dive Rite; they're made in the same factory), so as long as I can find the octo myself, I could care less who grabs which. I typically try to breathe from the one that's not bright yellow. :teeth: The octo has a standard mouthpiece, too; I prefer a long bite, which is what's on my primary.

Of course, I'm only going to be doing rec diving for the foreseeable future, so as long as I have some sort of air source close at hand, I'm good to go. If I have time to defend the primary before it gets snatched out of my mouth, I go for the octo and shove that at the OOA diver.

Cheers!

Jim
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#25 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 13 October 2005 - 05:20 PM

I dive a 7 foot hose for my primary and a bungied secondary on my double and single tanks. I feel it's the best method for both technical and recreational diving.

Donating your primary (on the 7 foot hose) reg in an OOG situation prevents further complications and makes the original emergency that much easier to handle.

You STUD you! That's why you get all the girls! Was your Kool Aid cherry flavored too? I think it's cherry in DIR-F and grape in Tech 1? :teeth:

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#26 Seahorsewrangler

Seahorsewrangler

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW - NITROX
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 13 October 2005 - 05:55 PM

...and I will gladly give anything I have!

Won't go there...must b - e - h - a - v - e...

...stepping away from the keyboard :teeth:

:) You go behave... I'm going for the fun! :dance:
AKA Cap'n Sam Roughknuckles The Bernese mountain dog

#27 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 13 October 2005 - 06:47 PM

Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages to breathing a 7 foot long hose primary for all your diving needs and using a short hose for the backup regulator on a bungee cord:

SNAGS -

Advantage: Once the long hose is routed correctly, you'll have less hose profile coming around the right side of your head and into your mouth. For those who dive in and around wrecks, this means that you'll have less chance of snagging the regulator on protruding objects. I used to snag mine all the time until I started diving the 7 foot primary. I have yet to snag it in a wreck now.

Disadvantage: When looking far behind you over your right shoulder, it is possible to snag your primary 7 foot regulator on your right post while wearing doubles. I've had to reach back and undo it on several dives when this happened and I once had my regulator pulled from my mouth slightly. Not a problem for single tank divers at all.

(Personal opinion: The 7 foot hose is superior because it will reduce swim drag when routed correctly and have less of a chance at snagging an unknown object. In my experience, it tends to snag my right post which is preferable to being caught on an unknown object and I can reach it easily and undo it when it does.)

OUT OF GAS/AIR SITUATIONS -

Advantage: The diver in need of gas gets a working regulator (beacuse the donor is already breathing from it) right from the mouth as fast as a gun is drawn (GUE training anyway). This makes it easier to gain rapid control of the energency, calm the OOG diver, and allows the divers to swim at a comfortable distance or move through restrictions in wrecks or caves in tandem. Because the regulator is working, there will be no delay in the OOG diver getting gas and no shells, sand or debris in the mouthpiece to exacerbate an already dangerous situation.

Disadvantage: The diver donating the gas will be out of gas while switching to the backup regulator. Because the left post on a set of doubles can roll off when contacting the ceiling of a wreck or a cave, the donor may find that he/she won't have any gas after making the switch. This will first require the donor to reach the left valve knob and turn it forward to make sure it is open (yes, single tankers, all knobs turn in the same direction, so the left knob turns forward to open rather than backward like the one you are used to, or, like the way the knob turns on our right post) before assuming that something else may be wrong. By donating the long hose, the donor places himself/herself at risk in an OOG situation.

(Personal opinion: Getting a working regulator to an OOG diver as quickly as possible is the best way to control an OOG emergency. The OOG diver will be far more stressed than the donor who will be better able to control the situation or to manage the nuisance of a left post roll-off if one occurred. If bungeed around the neck, the backup regulator will be immediately located by the donor and the 7 foot hose will allow the divers far more swimming flexibility.)

AUTONOMY:

Advantage: By breathing the long 7 foot hose rather than placing it in a deployment bag, bungeeing it or tubing it to the tank or the manifold the hose easily routes down the side of a tank behind the wing or BCD and then is retained under a light, knife, pouch or tucked into the waist strap. It is easily deployed and replaced for air share drills or in emergencies and is incredibly easy to replace by the user without buddy assistance. In the water, the hose floats up against the divers chest and doesn't hang down to create any entanglement hazard or drag across coral. The other methods of stowing a long hose probably will require buddy assistance to restow the hose.

Disadvantage: A 7 foot hose may be more difficult for an open water diver using a jacket or a tech style BCD to route correctly. In that case, switching to a 5 foot hose will still allow the diver to have a long hose advantage for OOG and swimming situations, but will not afford him or her enough length for overhead environments.

(Personal opinion: This one is almost a no-brainer. If a diver retains a long hose in a bungee or a bag, the hose can easily come out during the dive and be a pain in the butt to restow both for the individual or for the team. Carrying a long hose this way is completely detrimental. If a long hose regulator is used it should be routed so that it is immediately deployable and easily restowed. Routing it the Hogarthian/DIR way is the best and safest way to maintain autonomous control over the regulator and hose.)

SOLO DIVING -

Advantage: Having a long hose will allow a diver greater flexibility in situations in which the equipment may need to be removed to pass through restrictions or to sort out entanglements.

Disadvantage: It might be possible to snag the long hose inside a wreck in such a way that it might be hard to extricate, or a diver could snag the long hose on the right post. The diver will have to work with regulator stages, hoses and valves behind his or her head.

(Personal opinion: Solo diving requires personal comfort and the ability to be completely self-sufficient with one's gear. There might be different preferences for different divers. Many solo divers who are cave trained prefer to side mount their tanks because they can easily clip and unclip them and have complete access to their equipment without having to work with it behind their heads.)

O2/CO2/CO TOXICITY -

Advantage: Bungeed backup regulator can be secured in the diver's mouth if he or she feels like he/she is becoming sick. Having a rapidly deployable long hose makes it easy to insert a regulator in someone's mouth if they may be showing signs of bad gas or start to convulse due to toxicity.

Disadvantage: In rare cases a long hose may decrease the performance of certain regulators causing CO2 retention at depth or when a diver is exercising or stressed.

(Personal opinion: With so many diver's using higher percentages of oxygen in their gases, the ability to bungee a regulator around one's head is an essential survival option and outweighs any other advantages and disadvantages.)

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#28 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....

Posted 13 October 2005 - 11:32 PM

Many times, I have been known to switch to my bungeed back-up before climbing back on the boat.

The bolt snap that I use to clip my long hose to my BC when using a deco bottle can be difficult to operate with gloves at times. I dive cold water so everything that I have is designed around being able to operate with gloves. Couple this with the fact that I am restowing my reg on on my deco bottle to hang off of a line attached to the boat or hand up to the crew. If using two stages, handing up the bottles is almost necessary as the weight out of the water of two additional tanks when one is a little beat from the dive makes climbing on the boat nearly impossible with them clipped on.

Anyways, I now have no deco reg in my mouth (clipped back to the deco bottle neck area) and the simplest thing to reach is my bungeed back-up. My dive buddy isn't likely to need air that they can't get because deco is done and we are at/near the surface. So, I simply switch to the back-up, dump off my deco bottles on the line/hand them up, and board the boat happy to have lived to tell tales of another dive.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#29 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:24 AM

I do not use a long hose. For the type of diving I do, I really don't see it as an advantage. I am sure there are those who will dissagree. Fine with me, I also use an Air II. I am still alive after 17 years of diving using my Air II. So call me a stroke, I wear the title proudly.

Having said all those things, if I used a long hose, I would connect it to my primary. Why? When someone comes to you out of air, you will lose your primary immediately. They will pull it from your mouth so quick you won't know they are there until they get it. I know, it has happened to me. So, give them the long hose and take your backup. But, don't let them get too far away from you, they will want to rocket to the surface if they are scared or panicked. You have to then calm them down and take them to the surface in a normal ascent.

By the way, it is likely to not be your buddy either. It will be someone who you've never seen before. You are (or should be) checking your buddies air from time to time and your buddy will be checking yours, so you know when you need to start your way back to the surface.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#30 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,666 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:26 AM

WOW! Trace...that was an excellent primer! :birthday:

Now all I need are routing directions for a single tank with a 7 foot hose! :lmao:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users