• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

PADI Instructor Wanted

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#31 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 10 October 2005 - 04:51 PM

If going to Florida is your choice, I recommend 'Yoda'!!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#32 drdiver

drdiver

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 10 October 2005 - 05:56 PM

Yoda is the master. But he is not PADI. But the young Jediena will consult with him and learn his ways. The Force is strong in her. She will learn the true Path. She will dive safe and often.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#33 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 11 October 2005 - 02:12 AM

Does anyone have a PADI instructor they would love to recommend?

Notice how Caetllon did not say, "Does anyone know any GOOD PADI instructors?" I think she already gets it! Give that girl her C-card! :pray:

(This was just an excuse for a fitting 200th post!!!)

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#34 konascubagirl

konascubagirl

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 11 October 2005 - 02:27 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions!

WileEDiver, While I've been to beautiful Monterey before and it's easiest to get to from Vancouver, it's just too damn cold for me. :(

Jim, I'll try contacting you for more info re: Guam. It sounds lovely but the airfare may be a deterrent as you suggested.

Trimix2dive, Mexico is certainly an option. Did you train with Martin?

Peter, I'll have a good look at your website. :2cool:

Other than Nicolle's suggestion, does anyone else have any info they'd like to share re: Hawaii? It's easy (and *affordable*) to get to from Vancouver, so I'm seriously considering it.

:pray:

Come to Kona! Nice, warm water here. I recommend Jay Smith at Hawaii Scuba Shack...flexible, patient, and cheaper than the big name dive shop here that was mentioned earlier. Do a night dive to see the manta rays!

#35 WileEDiver

WileEDiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Instructor/EFR I-T/Safety Signer I-T/DAN DES Instructor (All DAN Programs)
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:07 AM

Notice how Caetllon did not say, "Does anyone know any GOOD PADI instructors?" I think she already gets it! Give that girl her C-card! :pray:

Trace

Trace-

Did you consider that she might have felt that saying "GOOD PADI instructor" would be redundant?
–WileEDiver

“Life is measured not by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.”

#36 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:20 AM

Dan, you really don't want to open that can of worms, we don't need to get into a discussion of hen's teeth.

Why don't you travel to Florida in June and handle her check out dives? I've never heard anyone say anything that would suggest you are not an excellent instructor. While I've never seen you in action, we discussed philosophies of teaching, I'd recommend you as an instructor.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#37 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:39 AM

There are good (and unfortunately) bad instructors in all agencies. It's the instructor not the agency. Many instructors are great divers with awesome skill sets but are poor instructors because they lack communication skills and empathy with their student's needs. It's the same in science. I know molecular biologists that are world class researchers, but students will wait a semester to avoid taking a class with them because they are such poor lecturers.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#38 WileEDiver

WileEDiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Instructor/EFR I-T/Safety Signer I-T/DAN DES Instructor (All DAN Programs)
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:58 AM

Dan, you really don't want to open that can of worms, we don't need to get into a discussion of hen's teeth.

Why don't you travel to Florida in June and handle her check out dives?  I've never heard anyone say anything that would suggest you are not an excellent instructor.  While I've never seen you in action, we discussed philosophies of teaching, I'd recommend you as an instructor.

Walter-

One of these days you'll surprise me and not be quite so easy to rile (though that was not my intention). I wasn't looking to open any can of worms, you might have noticed that I usually avoid these discussions (and not out of fear). In this case I was just trying to have a little fun here with Trace and his prior comment. Where I come from it's called witty repartee (AKA "a snappy comeback").

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't know when I'll be in Florida next (but having run into Marvel's shop owner, Mike, last week at DEMA, it got me thinking about getting back there soon). I did offer to take Caetllon diving in Monterey, but she declined--something about 52-56º water (I missed the mumbling after that, but there were definitely 4 letter words in there :pray:).
–WileEDiver

“Life is measured not by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.”

#39 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 07:44 AM

Dan,

I'm not riled, didn't you notice my attempt at humor (whoops humour - we are in a Canadian's thread, after all) with the hen's teeth comment?

DSSW,

WWW™

#40 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 07:58 AM

There are good (and unfortunately) bad instructors in all agencies. It's the instructor not the agency. Many instructors are great divers with awesome skill sets but are poor instructors because they lack communication skills and empathy with their student's needs. It's the same in science. I know molecular biologists that are world class researchers, but students will wait a semester to avoid taking a class with them because they are such poor lecturers.

OK, can of worms is open.

I agree, good and bad instructors can be found in any agency. OTOH, I strongly disagree with the concept that the agency is not important. The agency sets the standards (no, the are not the same regardless of membership in RSTC) under which instructors conduct their classes. While some agencies (not all) allow (and a couple even encourage) instructors to exceed agency standards, that is not something a student can count on. The vast majority of instructors teach to the letter of the standards as they understand them. Since most instructors follow agency standards very closely, neither cutting corners nor adding material/skills those standards are extremely important. If an agency has low standards, in most cases, a student can expect a poor class as a result. If an agency has higher standards, in most cases, a student can expect a better class as a result.

It goes even deeper than that. Most instructors teach for the agency in which they were originally certified. If material and skills are never taught to a diver as he progresses from OW through the steps up to instructor, that instructor can't teach what he's never learned. Now, I realize there are unusual instructors (Mike Ferrara comes immediately to mind) who actually think for themselves, notice problems, talk to others and start to change their own style of diving and then start to incorporate those changes into their classes, but they are extremely rare.

DSSW,

WWW™

#41 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:55 AM

Trace

LOL!!!

Glad I could be of assistance, Trace! :2cool:

#42 Scott

Scott

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1000+ (I have fallen into a bad habbit of only logging dives not involved with work lately.)

Posted 11 October 2005 - 05:32 PM

I am so sorry that I missed this thread! I'd love the opportunity to discuss your certificaiton with you. I'll be available for a trip in June, no problem, and can show you some great diving sites. Additionally, I only do private classes and semi private classes of groups who know eachother so you will get all of the patience and attention you could possibly need! (Not that you will require it, I'm sure)

We would go out on charters unless we had some people to stay on the surface and then I could tow my boat down...either way, I'll probably go ahead and bring it to do some Mahi fishing anyway.

Since we have some time, let me get my act together here with my FEMA stuff and I'll get with you as soon as I can get back online regularly!
A gal at a bar recently told me I was acting weird...I told her,
" I bet you would act even more weird than me if you were 5 atmospheres higher than you prefer."
She didn't get it.
Her loss.

#43 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 05:59 PM

Most appreciated, Scott! :evilgrin:

(BTW, is that an email address I noticed in your profile? Let me know, please. :-D)

#44 Scott

Scott

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1000+ (I have fallen into a bad habbit of only logging dives not involved with work lately.)

Posted 11 October 2005 - 07:19 PM

Most appreciated, Scott! :whistle:

(BTW, is that an email address I noticed in your profile? Let me know, please. ;))

Hey,
Either of the messenger addresses will work as email contact as well.

Looking forward to talking about it!
-Scott

#45 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 07:26 PM

Either of the messenger addresses will work as email contact as well.

Email sent to MSN. :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users