• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

PADI Instructor Wanted

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:11 AM

You might want to check out this link from scubatoys.com. It a free shareware RDP program to practice with.

" Or maybe you need a brush up on your Dive Tables. You can do that by downloading the shareware version of The Computerized Table Tutor. This PC based software lets you practice doing first table, surface interval, repetitive dive and missing surface interval questions for 9 different dive tables - metric or imperial. And you can even input your own questions! "

http://www.aquaholic...down/Tables.exe

Thx, Gray, but I'm a bit lost... are you talking about two different forms of software? :wakawaka: (Your scubatoys link isn't active.)

I'll take a look at the aquaholic link on Monday... I'm done work for the week (where I have access to a PC) and I (happily) don't have a PC at home... *Just* a far superior Mac! :cool2:

Just one piece of software. The text in parentheses is from the Scubatoys web site and is just a description of the software which linked to the Aquaholic site (I haven't tried it out by the way...I don't need it ) :lol:

Edited by gcbryan, 19 January 2006 - 02:13 AM.

#62 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:27 AM

Just one piece of software. The text in parentheses is from the Scubatoys web site and is just a description of the software which linked to the Aquaholic site

Gotcha! Thx again, Gray!

(I haven't tried it out by the way...I don't need it ) :cool2:

Yeah, sure, rub it in... You may have missed a spot! :wakawaka:

#63 Perkolater

Perkolater

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EANx
  • Logged Dives:28

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:53 AM

Well, it isn't warm (well, warm enough that you can use a wetsuit rather than a dry suit), it certainly isn't very scenic and the visibility can be horrible... BUT... if you want a patient instructor, I can certainly recomment Patrick from IndyMPH Watersports here in Indianapolis and the check out dives at Blue Springs.

When I took my OW class we had a few people that I really wondered if they would EVER get through the class. One poor woman just couldn't get her legs down (cue sexist joke here) even with ankle weights and one of the guys panicked the first couple of times he had to fill and clear his mask (to the point of getting out of the pool a few times). Pat was very patient and worked with each of them until they resolved the problem and got it right.

I will admit that there was one student in the class who simply couldn't get the hang of it. Pat finally had her retake the class when she couldn't pass the skills tests during the OW checkout dives. She seemed to suffer claustrophobia every time she went under water and really never looked comfortable. I only mention her because while patient and a great instructor, Pat will not simply rubber stamp a cert.

Seriously, I am glad I had my checkout dives in the quarry, we were able to focus on what we needed to do without being distracted by the call of the ocean. And what the heck, diving in the quarry beats staying dry any day!

Anyway, not really what you are looking for, but maybe worth consideration. Let me know if you want any more info, their website is outdated and not very helpful. (Hmmm... maybe a bartering opportunity for me there but thats another thread.)

Enough of my rambling... Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Edited by Perkolater, 19 January 2006 - 06:56 AM.

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... that was fun!!"

#64 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:08 PM

Thx for the name, Eric! And a woman, too! :usflag: I actually did my Discover Scuba course with Ocean Quest -- they teach one of their OWs at the Y during August. Because the Y is right downtown and therefore convenient, I was considering doing my OW training with them but the guy they sent to teach the Discover class was pretty lame so I decided against it. I'm still hoping I won't *need* to train locally, but if I do wind up going that route (my PADI referral expires in September), I'll definitiely give Todd a call.

As for the RDP, I didn't think it should be so difficult either but I'm really bad with numbers and logic. (No poker for me! :twist:) I understood the examples perfectly that the RDP booklet described, but once it came time to the tests and the questions were worded differently -- multiple dives were part of the problem, I think -- I was lost.

I would never send anyone to any diveshop and tell them to sign up....it is the instructor that makes the course not the agency.
The math and logic is used in creating the RPD but there isn't really a lot of thinking involved in using one its a matter of knowing the sequence of steps which then give you a result

Eric

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users