• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

If you could stock your dive shop...

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#16 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 29 September 2005 - 05:28 AM

Dust bowl may be on to something, when I had the imported auto parts store I kept energy bars on the counter and they sold great because guys would start on a project and skip meals till it was done, mothers would buy them to shut the kids up.
As for the rust proof stainless steel tools, watch out for the leatherman style ones, the pivot pin usually isn't stainless and they won't open. Trident makes a good stainless scuba tool with most of what you will need.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#17 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 29 September 2005 - 06:43 AM

Definitely stock the junk food. That way, between classes and pool sessions (provided your shop had an on site pool like mine does) the students can snack.

I love to look at the little things, like clips and gadgets and stuff like that. I don't look at the expensive things because I'm still paying off my last big purchase. :lmao:

#18 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 29 September 2005 - 09:13 AM

Well you all can come take a class with me then! I always bring goodies, for the exact reasons many of you listed. In dive_addict's and my last class we had a young gal who told her Dad that she really liked our class, because there were always goodies! :lmao:

My favorite good goody to bring? Swedish Fish! :P
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#19 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 29 September 2005 - 12:03 PM

Well you all can come take a class with me then! I always bring goodies, for the exact reasons many of you listed. In dive_addict's and my last class we had a young gal who told her Dad that she really liked our class, because there were always goodies! :usflag:

My favorite good goody to bring? Swedish Fish! :P

I might be from the wrong part of the country but I've never heard of Swedish Fish. What are they?

I know what a Moon Pie and RC cola is - now that's snackin'.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#20 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 29 September 2005 - 12:14 PM

Swedish fish are a soft and chewy fish shaped candy with a strawberry flavor! Yummy

Reported history:

"These candies are made by a swedish company called Malacoleaf. The company was originally known as Malaco and was founded in 1905 in Copenhagen, Sweden. They started making licorice in the 1920's, and swedish fish in the 1950's. At that time the fish were imported from Sweden. Recently (1990's) the production of Swedish fish was begun in Canada, where it remains to this day. Interestingly, Malacoleaf also makes Sour patch kids." (source: some dude's blog)
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#21 REEF Diver

REEF Diver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, working on DM
  • Logged Dives:573

Posted 29 September 2005 - 12:31 PM

I know what you mean Nicolle, I find myself browsing everytime I'm in a dive store, even if I know all the inventory by heart. I'm a sucker for ID books, clips and slates. And stainless steel double enders and bolt snaps. Gizmos in general, as it's easier to find money for small items than big, and certainly less painful! :usflag:

#22 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 29 September 2005 - 12:33 PM

Printed reviews! Reviews of local dive boats. Reviews of gear, both magazine's and normal people's (yes, that was on purpose). Reviews of dive sites. Reviews of travel companies and agencies.

Posted price lists. This is perhaps my biggest pet peeve of dive shops here. Trying to figure out what it's gonna cost me to get my _____ certification/training shouldn't be like waiting for them to choose a Pope.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#23 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 29 September 2005 - 12:39 PM

Swedish fish are a soft and chewy fish shaped candy with a strawberry flavor! Yummy

Reported history:

"These candies are made by a swedish company called Malacoleaf. The company was originally known as Malaco and was founded in 1905 in Copenhagen, Sweden. They started making licorice in the 1920's, and swedish fish in the 1950's. At that time the fish were imported from Sweden. Recently (1990's) the production of Swedish fish was begun in Canada, where it remains to this day. Interestingly, Malacoleaf also makes Sour patch kids." (source: some dude's blog)

:usflag: Thanks - I've never seen them before.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#24 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 29 September 2005 - 04:58 PM

Glad you clarified the swedish fish thing, I was invisioning something like pickled herring!!!

Edited by dustbowl diver, 29 September 2005 - 04:59 PM.

"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#25 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 05:28 PM

YIKES and blech! :lmao:

#26 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 29 September 2005 - 08:36 PM

YIKES and blech!

Ditto! But my Mom and Dad loved them. I guess I didn't inherit that gene from either of them!

#27 Big O

Big O

Meeting folks

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300

Posted 29 September 2005 - 08:52 PM

To me it doesn't matter what I see in a shop, as long as its full of inventory! There is nothing that will send me back out of the door than a diveshop that looks empty as soon as you walk in.

There is a new shop here near me that has a huge shop, but I can walk in and see everything in 30 seconds or so. SO much wasted space.....

He has maybee 5 BC's and 6 wetsuits... What a joke! Maybe 3 AL80's used....

Give me SOMETHING to look at.... Old bottles found on shore dives to pictures of the people in their new drysuits that you have sold.

The good photographers talk about composition, ie, everywhere you look in the picture, something catches your eye to cause you to focus on it.

In my opinion, a diveshop should be the same way.

The more stuff that catches my eye, the longer I will be in your shop, and the longer Im in your shop, the more cash Ill drop.

Dave

PS, have a coffee pot too!
UH-HUH

#28 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 08:59 AM

PS, have a coffee pot too!

and here I thought a frig with cold beer was a good idea..... :birthday:

#29 shaggie

shaggie

Getting started

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, NITROX soon hopefuly. Dove CA, TX, FL, Belize, Hawaii, lakes, rivers, oceans
  • Logged Dives:75

Posted 30 September 2005 - 10:27 AM

YIKES and blech! :lmao:

:teeth: Umm, pickled hearings. O there goes my german ancestory talking again!

#30 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:06 AM

how bout a nightclub sports bar beach dive shop. thats the ticket.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users