• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

If you could stock your dive shop...

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#31 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:28 AM

Sounds like every dive shop I've seen when on warm water vacation! :teeth:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#32 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:30 AM

To me it doesn't matter what I see in a shop, as long as its full of inventory! There is nothing that will send me back out of the door than a diveshop that looks empty as soon as you walk in.

There is a new shop here near me that has a huge shop, but I can walk in and see everything in 30 seconds or so. SO much wasted space.....

He has maybee 5 BC's and 6 wetsuits... What a joke! Maybe 3 AL80's used....

Give me SOMETHING to look at.... Old bottles found on shore dives to pictures of the people in their new drysuits that you have sold.

The good photographers talk about composition, ie, everywhere you look in the picture, something catches your eye to cause you to focus on it.

In my opinion, a diveshop should be the same way.

The more stuff that catches my eye, the longer I will be in your shop, and the longer Im in your shop, the more cash Ill drop.

Dave

PS, have a coffee pot too!

I agree. There's two shops by me. One is full of stuff and I can spend an hour there. The other one has nothing. Though he did recently renovate and I haven't been back since. He said he was going to get stuff, so maybe I'll go back there.

#33 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:57 AM

Now if Hooters opened a dive shop ............ :teeth:
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#34 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 30 September 2005 - 12:16 PM

I think we'd have some buoyancy issues..... :teeth:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#35 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 30 September 2005 - 01:27 PM

Now if Hooters opened a dive shop ............ :teeth:

My son would be there every day practicing his skills.

#36 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 30 September 2005 - 02:32 PM

I think we'd have some buoyancy issues..... :lmao:

Or at least you would have to figure out some new weight configurations!

#37 blacktar

blacktar

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OWSI, Normoxic Trimix, full cave
  • Logged Dives:700

Posted 30 September 2005 - 04:04 PM

I think it just might encouage repeat business.
BLACKTAR
"The edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over." Hunter S. Thompson

#38 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 05:43 PM

not from me, thanks.

#39 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 01 October 2005 - 12:16 AM

not from me, thanks.

Nor from me. I only went to Hooters once during a GIS convention in San Diego. My employer paid for it (it was lunch with one beer). Wouldn't go back for the food or the girls.

#40 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 01 October 2005 - 04:01 AM

Ex-girlfriend and I went to Hooters in Fayetteville, AR - once. They had a sign at the door that said "Dangerous Curves Ahead" - not only were there no curves - the sign should have read : "Warning - Dips"
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#41 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 01 October 2005 - 06:36 AM

To me it doesn't matter what I see in a shop, as long as its full of inventory! There is nothing that will send me back out of the door than a diveshop that looks empty as soon as you walk in.

There is a new shop here near me that has a huge shop, but I can walk in and see everything in 30 seconds or so. SO much wasted space.....

He has maybee 5 BC's and 6 wetsuits... What a joke! Maybe 3 AL80's used....

Give me SOMETHING to look at....  Old bottles found on shore dives to pictures of the people in their new drysuits that you have sold.

The good photographers talk about composition, ie, everywhere you look in the picture, something catches your eye to cause you to focus on it.

In my opinion, a diveshop should be the same way.

The more stuff that catches my eye, the longer I will be in your shop, and the longer Im in your shop, the more cash Ill drop.

Dave

PS, have a coffee pot too!

I agree. There's two shops by me. One is full of stuff and I can spend an hour there. The other one has nothing. Though he did recently renovate and I haven't been back since. He said he was going to get stuff, so maybe I'll go back there.

Of the two dive shops close to me. One has very little.. a few BCD's and some small odds and ends. How they stay in business, I don't know. The other shop which I go to for everything, has everything. A couple of dozen BCD's and wet suits. A bunch of drysuits, every little gadget you have ever seen, tank fills including nitrox and trimix and on the premises reg maintanence/repair. Also they have artifacts from local wrecks on the walls and a display case filled with silver/chinaware from the Andrea Doria wreck. Neato!

I personally sniff around the walls looking to see what new stuff they have gotten in and just looking to see if I see anything I need and may have forgotten about. Brass, double ended clips rule!
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#42 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 01 October 2005 - 07:20 AM

Well, after reading through all of the suggestions since my last post, I would take a majority of these plus ScubaToys=winning formula. This is a lrage shop, full of gear, with knowledgable and curtious sales staff, and has competitive prices. I suppose I count myself as lucky to be within 9 miles of them here in Dallas!!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#43 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 01 October 2005 - 07:57 AM

Snorkels! It's hard to find a decent snorkel these days. Why don't shops stock snorkels w/o bells & whistles?
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#44 maninthesea

maninthesea

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Cert Level:Trimix and Rebreather also Padi Inst and TDI Inst Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Quit that long ago-Nothing left to prove

Posted 01 October 2005 - 11:02 AM

a pool with a side window that was one wall of the shop so anyone walking in could observe pool sessions.
Tip of the day- Never suck on a loaded gun!

#45 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 01 October 2005 - 11:09 AM

It would be nice to see a shop that stocked more that one brand. It's hard to believe that one brand makes the "Perfect" everything for me.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users