• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Tech Diver...

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#31 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 18 October 2005 - 10:18 PM

any diver diving a mixed gas is a technical diver! Interesting...that makes all us nitrox divers certified under 40% still tech divers.  :2cool:

regular compressed air (21% O2) is "technically" mixed gas...

.....especially if taken to 160 ft. for 20 minutes like some of my dive buddies like to do!
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#32 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:29 AM

::Swoon::

Now, if you'd only be willing to die under 200 feet of cold deep black water because it's fun...  :2cool:

Trace

Trace ~ You had me at the "swoon" :welcome:

200' sounds doable and if your along how could it be anything but fun. :2cool:

I have seen 147' already, 200 is just another 53'.

My water or your's?

Well, you should come to mine in November! :dance:

Then... take me back to yours!

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#33 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:38 AM

any diver diving a mixed gas is a technical diver! Interesting...that makes all us nitrox divers certified under 40% still tech divers.

While I see no validity in the term, I have read many definitions. Most definitions have not included nitrox for many years.

NAUI's definition, for example, includes dives in which the mix is changed during the dive.

what would you call someone who either dives beyond recreational/sport diving depths aka 130ft or someone who takes a mixed gas class say over 40% or a rebreather class or even a decompression class?

A deep diver, an advanced nitrox diver, a rebreather diver and a decompression diver. They are not the same, calling them technical divers gives the false impression that they are. Even if you understand they are not the same, calling them technical divers communicates no real information.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#34 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:42 AM

Well, you should come to mine in November!  :2cool:

Then... take me back to yours!

Trace

I would love to come to yours in November, but it can't be done :dltears: (See other thread)
Between work and a few other committments I am pretty much stuck in Seattle all of November. I will have to see if I can make some adjustments.

Any change of having you come to mine first?

Edited by gis_gal, 19 October 2005 - 07:43 AM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#35 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 11:16 AM

A deep diver, an advanced nitrox diver, a rebreather diver and a decompression diver. They are not the same, calling them technical divers gives the false impression that they are. Even if you understand they are not the same, calling them technical divers communicates no real information.

That's true. Just like a tank labled nitrox contains no real info.

I think "technical diving" is any dive in which the industry at one time would have whined and said, "Now cut that out!" and diver's labled as technical divers see the term from their own points of view.

Trace
Trace Malinowski
PDIC International

#36 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 19 October 2005 - 11:27 AM

I like your "Techreational" phrasing. I'm going to start giving that as an answer - and it sounds so much better than what I would have come up with - "Recnical" which sounds like a Proctology related field.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#37 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:20 PM

I like your "Techreational" phrasing. I'm going to start giving that as an answer - and it sounds so much better than what I would have come up with - "Recnical" which sounds like a Proctology related field.

Hawk,

DIR actually means "Doing It Rectally."

Just so you know, I didn't come up with the term "techreational" it's been around for a while. :twist:

And, um, yes, stick with Barbie jokes & please don't try to come up wit names for scuba! :banghead:

Trace
Trace Malinowski
PDIC International

#38 George

George

IT Administrator & Owner

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Cert Level:OW

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:42 PM

what would you call someone who either dives beyond recreational/sport diving depths aka 130ft or someone who takes a mixed gas class say over 40% or a rebreather class or even a decompression class?

Ok so lets say they were not taking a class nor did they have any formal trainging in deep diving or decompression diving. Now what would you call someone who dives below 130 ft? Or does a decompression dive?

Are they still a recreational or sport diver?
Email me

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

#39 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:52 PM

HEY! You don't get to use the term sport diver! That's mine! Remember I'm a self-proclaimed "sport" diver - a "recreational" diver with a wild side....:anna:

:lmao:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#40 George

George

IT Administrator & Owner

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:56 PM

HEY! You don't get to use the term sport diver! That's mine! Remember I'm a self-proclaimed "sport" diver - a "recreational" diver with a wild side....:anna:

:lmao:

My apologies and my kind of diver! :lmao:
Email me

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

#41 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:09 PM

Ok so lets say they were not taking a class nor did they have any formal trainging in deep diving or decompression diving. Now what would you call someone who dives below 130 ft?

A deep diver.

Or does a decompression dive?

A decompression diver.

People are either diving for work (commercial divers) or because it's a hobby (recreational diver).

HEY! You don't get to use the term sport diver! That's mine! Remember I'm a self-proclaimed "sport" diver - a "recreational" diver with a wild side....

Sorry Darlin', but the term sport diver has been around longer than you've been diving. It was the common term in use before recreational diver became common. It was used to distinguish between those who dive for work & those who dive for fun. I believe is was even used in one of the Airport movies (Airport 1977, if I'm not mistaken).

DSSW,

WWW™

#42 George

George

IT Administrator & Owner

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:27 PM

But Walter these people are not trained to do that kind of diving. Nor should they be if they have been trained not to exceed certain levels/boundaries. However, even if they have taken training in that realm, they are not purely recretational divers.
Email me

#43 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:27 PM

Sorry Darlin', but the term sport diver has been around longer than you've been diving. It was the common term in use before recreational diver became common. It was used to distinguish between those who dive for work & those who dive for fun. I believe is was even used in one of the Airport movies (Airport 1977, if I'm not mistaken).

WHAT!!??? No way - and here I thought I was being original - nevermind there used to be a magazine called Sport Diver..... :lmao:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#44 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:51 PM

But Walter these people are not trained to do that kind of diving. Nor should they be if they have been trained not to exceed certain levels/boundaries. However, even if they have taken training in that realm, they are not purely recretational divers.

Of course they are. They are doing it for recreation.

DSSW,

WWW™

#45 jholley309

jholley309

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:22 PM

I never scoff at divers.  It's usually not the fault of the diver if his skills are lacking.  In most cases, they are doing exactly what they were taught.  How would they know any better?  They simply trusted an incompetent instructor.

I disagree to some extent; while there are certainly inadequate instructors, it's not always the instructor's fault that someone turns out to be a horrible-death-waiting-to-happen sort of diver. An instructor is only as good as the student will let him be; I think a lot more responsibility needs to be assigned to the divers themselves. Case in point: one of the guys (we'll call him Joe for the purposes of this illustration, even though that's not really his name) that I went through OW certification with.

Joe managed to make it all the way through the confined water and open water dives, successfully demonstrated all of the skills our instructors taught us, fulfilled every critiria to be considered Open Water certified by that particular agency. I went diving with Joe a few weeks after certification. I'll never go diving with him again, and here's why:

1. Joe has no use whatsoever for dive tables or computers. He can't even find his RDP, nor does he know where his dive log is. He just doesn't think it's all that important. I know for a fact that his instructor went over the importance of no-decompression limits and diving within the limits of the RDP or Wheel, because I was sitting right next to Joe when the instructor said it. Not a failure of training: a failure of personal responsibility.

2. Joe still cannot properly assemble his scuba unit without assistance. I had to show him how to put his regulator on the yoke valve of the tank and hand-tighten it down, had to show him how his power inflator worked (this is with the exact same BC he got certified in, which he was able to master "way back then"). I had the same instructor showing me how to do this during training; again, not a failure of training, a failure of personal responsibility.

3. Joe has no idea what a dive plan is, how to come up with one, how to plan for contingencies, or even why contingency planning is neccessary. As I was formulating the plan, determining what depth we were going to, what we were going to do when we got there, how long we were going to stay, and what we needed to do if we got seperated (it was a cruddy-visibility lake dive, around 10-15' of vis) or one of us had an air problem, I couldn't help but wonder where he was mentally when the instructor was teaching us how to do do all of this.

I could go on, but I'll make my point now: Joe and I had the same instructor, the same training, and got certified at the same time. I can plan a dive and dive the plan, safely and responsibly, and I know what I need to do if something goes wrong or I have a problem. I will dive solo before I ever get near another body of water with Joe, simply because I consider him a danger to himself and any unfortunate soul who happens to buddy with him. And it's not due to lack of training. It's due to lack of responsibilty.

Sure, there are poor instructors, but they don't always turn out poor divers. There are excellent instructors who don't always turn out excellent divers. Let's not be too quick to blame the training. Some of those poor folks that we read about in the accident reports simply failed to be responsible for their own personal safety.

As for a definition of "technical" versus "recreational", my point of demarcation is when you start planning the dive with something other than the recreational dive planner (or its equivalent). Diving within the limits of the RDP, that's rec diving to me. Break out the U.S. Navy manuals and/or tables, and we're getting technical now. The goal of the dive is mostly irrelevant to me; I'm just happier underwater. :P It's all recreation for me, technical or otherwise.

Cheers!

Jim

"Divemasters? We don't need no stinking divemasters!" :thankyou:

Edited by jholley309, 19 October 2005 - 05:33 PM.

Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users