• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Tech Diver...

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#46 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:15 PM

As for a definition of "technical" versus "recreational", my point of demarcation is when you start planning the dive with something other than the recreational dive planner (or its equivalent). Diving within the limits of the RDP, that's rec diving to me. Break out the U.S. Navy manuals and/or tables, and we're getting technical now.

GUE divers have a name for people like Joe. :P

Regarding your comments on the "Navy Tables", have you ever seen them? I know in my cert class some years ago, they talked about the Navy tables like only some guy on a SEAL team could manage to dive them. Then I saw one. It's damn near the same as my PADI table. Five minutes here, ten minutes there, but REMARKABLY similar. Especially around 3 ATA.

Check these:

http://www.iantd.com/comparison.html

http://www.iantd.com...arts/c-3302.jpg

#47 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,709 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:26 PM

Sure, there are poor instructors, but they don't always turn out poor divers. There are excellent instructors who don't always turn out excellent divers. Let's not be too quick to blame the training. Some of those poor folks that we read about in the accident reports simply failed to be responsible for their own personal safety.

Excellent observation...and very astute. Statistics show that many diving accidents are actually health accidents in the water and NOT diving related. Othewise the news would be filled with how dangerous our sport is and how poorly divers are trained either by the industry as a whole or by one agency.

I think it is far more a matter of personal responsibility than it is anything else. But hey...there are many who think my first instructor should have never passed me...ever. :P

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#48 jholley309

jholley309

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:32 PM

GUE divers have a name for people like Joe. :thankyou:

:sweetie:

Yeah, I have several names for him now, too, but I didn't think they were appropriate here! :P

Cheers!

Jim
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#49 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:05 PM

When it comes down to it remember rule number one...Never dive with an unsafe diver. You can usually tell who this person is before you even enter the water. As someone once said,

...If someone standing on dry land tells you they're good diving deep on air, give them a wide berth. If they're that stupid at 1 ATA, you know they won't get any smarter at depth. GI3

#50 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:09 PM

One of my favorite of his quotes.. but there are SO many!

#51 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:15 PM

I really wish someone would compile a list of them just for fun. Are you on the gavinscooter yahoo list? there are someinteresting personalites there too.

Oh, are you going to the GUE conference in November?

#52 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:22 PM

One of my favorite quotes is from a guy, we'll call him, George, talking with another guy who we will call John Orlowski.

George: You old guys really need to learn to dive! Us younger guys can decompress faster.

John Orlowski: What are those red splotches you have on your skin there?

George: Oh? These? I don't know. This happens to me all the time.

John Orlowski: They're called skin bends, son. I think you still need to listen to us old guys!

Before they were stars, they were learning.

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#53 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:23 PM

I really wish someone would compile a list of them just for fun. Are you on the gavinscooter yahoo list? there are someinteresting personalites there too.

Oh, are you going to the GUE conference in November?

Yea, Im on the Gavin list. And yes, I'll be at the conference. Are you going too?

#54 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:24 PM

One of my favorite quotes is from a guy, we'll call him, George, talking with another guy who we will call John Orlowski.

George: You old guys really need to learn to dive! Us younger guys can decompress faster.

John Orlowski: What are those red splotches you have on your skin there?

George: Oh? These? I don't know. This happens to me all the time.

John Orlowski: They're called skin bends, son. I think you still need to listen to us old guys!

Before they were stars, they were learning.

Trace

I would have been less funny if I didn't know both people you were talking about!

LOL!

...No names have been changed to protect the gulty! :teeth:

#55 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:06 PM

I hope too. I have a room reserved and all but now it's a decision to drive down with all my gear or fly down with my gear minus tanks. Does EE rent Dbl AL 80s?

I'll also be down in Ft Lauderdale in Nov to pick up (fingers crossed) my dry suit.

#56 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:17 PM

You're going to be in cave country. You can get double ANYTHING (except a pony bottle). :teeth: Just call EE.

Wanna split a room?

#57 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:44 AM

I disagree to some extent; while there are certainly inadequate instructors, it's not always the instructor's fault that someone turns out to be a horrible-death-waiting-to-happen sort of diver.

I said, "usually."

As for a definition of "technical" versus "recreational", my point of demarcation is when you start planning the dive with something other than the recreational dive planner (or its equivalent). Diving within the limits of the RDP, that's rec diving to me. Break out the U.S. Navy manuals and/or tables, and we're getting technical now.

I learned to dive with the US Navy tables and don't trust the RDP, it's too liberal for my taste.

It's damn near the same as my PADI table. Five minutes here, ten minutes there, but REMARKABLY similar.

Look again. This time compare multiple dives. They are not all that similar.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#58 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 08:14 AM

Look again. This time compare multiple dives. They are not all that similar.

I looked at Repetitive Dives. Yes they are different.

#59 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 21 October 2005 - 06:12 PM

::Swoon::

Now, if you'd only be willing to dive under 200 feet of cold deep black water because it's fun...  :cool1:

Trace

NO WAY HOSER!! I saw her FIRST! She was talking to ME! :dance:

Move OVER Rovers, the Old Dog has hobbled up and Moved IN....

:wakawaka:

Norm

#60 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 21 October 2005 - 06:18 PM

As for a definition of "technical" versus "recreational", my point of demarcation is when you start planning the dive with something other than the recreational dive planner (or its equivalent).  Diving within the limits of the RDP, that's rec diving to me.  Break out the U.S. Navy manuals and/or tables, and we're getting technical now.

GUE divers have a name for people like Joe. :wakawaka:

Regarding your comments on the "Navy Tables", have you ever seen them? I know in my cert class some years ago, they talked about the Navy tables like only some guy on a SEAL team could manage to dive them. Then I saw one. It's damn near the same as my PADI table. Five minutes here, ten minutes there, but REMARKABLY similar. Especially around 3 ATA.

Check these:

http://www.iantd.com/comparison.html

http://www.iantd.com...arts/c-3302.jpg

FWIW, until the "DSAT RDP", the Navy tables WERE the Rec tables...we noodled with them by adding Time and/or Depth for things like Cold, Exertion,Smoker,Mature Diver etc...

Norm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users