• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

CREATURE FEATURE - Cool Trivia!!

• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

#361 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 14 December 2006 - 04:40 AM

In a effort to close out Creature Feature #57 as we close out the year the answer is: Bluntnose Sixgill Shark.

Someone else please come up with Creature Feature #58.

#362 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:54 PM

In a effort to close out Creature Feature #57 as we close out the year the answer is: Bluntnose Sixgill Shark.

Someone else please come up with Creature Feature #58.

:dance: I balme not knowing the answer to this one because of NOT EVER HAVING SEEN ONE!!! :D

:cool1: I'm working on #58
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#363 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 14 December 2006 - 02:01 PM

Creature Feature 58

Just in time for the holidays!!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

This critter comes in a variety of different colors: browns, grays, whites, blues, reds, pinks, and yellows! Very festive indeed! And keeping in the holiday spirit, this critter has odd manners like your weird oldest relative at the holiday dinner table, covering its gills in a sticky mucus to trap nutritious food to be funneled down to its mouth!

It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#364 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 14 December 2006 - 02:06 PM

Christmas Tree worm?
Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#365 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 02:10 PM

Christmas Tree worm?

DING DING DING (or jingle jingle jingle!) we have a winner!! :dance: You're up! :D

#366 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 14 December 2006 - 02:33 PM

Creature Feature 59

Keeping with Dive_Girl's holiday theme....
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

This ornate creature can grow up to 7" in length and is often seen in saltwater aquaria but is native to Hawaii, Johnston Island, and Central Polynesia. It has two English common names (as far as what you'll see tossed around in fish and aquarium guides), and THREE Hawaiian names. One of the common names is inspired by its holiday-inspired coloration, even though, in truth, this species is a pretender to this name, there being another species that can claim this common name legitimately. In addition to this noted coloration, the defining characteristics for identifying this species from similar ones is the small vertical black mark just behind its eye. It is naturally a bottom dweller, particularly in sandy areas with coral rubble and small stones.

Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users