• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

CREATURE FEATURE - Cool Trivia!!

• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

#346 Piz

Piz

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:?? 200+

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:12 AM

My guess: the Port Jackson Shark :2cool:

They are shaped very similar to California's Horn Sharks, which have spots.

Yep, spot on!!

I love playing with these guys. You can get up close and personal with them most of the time.

They are very similar to your horn sharks as far as I can tell.

You game to keep playing? I haven't been on line for a while but I promise to check in more regularly for this game. Besides with a bit of research you find some very cool critters out there. ;)

#347 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:43 AM

My guess: the Port Jackson Shark :2cool:

They are shaped very similar to California's Horn Sharks, which have spots.

Yep, spot on!!

I love playing with these guys. You can get up close and personal with them most of the time.

They are very similar to your horn sharks as far as I can tell.

You game to keep playing? I haven't been on line for a while but I promise to check in more regularly for this game. Besides with a bit of research you find some very cool critters out there. ;)

Great guess Dive Girl. I'd never heard of them until recently. We now have one on display at the Seattle Aquarium.

#348 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:35 PM

Great guess Dive Girl. I'd never heard of them until recently. We now have one on display at the Seattle Aquarium.

It took me a while, but it was worth it! Very cool that you have at the aquarium. I either need to come up with the next clue ooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrr...................I could suggest that you, Gray, may have one or two interesting critters that you have come across in the aquarium from our local area that may be perfect to use as the next clue! You game?? :cheerleader:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#349 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:32 PM

It took me a while, but it was worth it! Very cool that you have at the aquarium. I either need to come up with the next clue ooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrr...................I could suggest that you, Gray, may have one or two interesting critters that you have come across in the aquarium from our local area that may be perfect to use as the next clue! You game?? :cheerleader:

I'm game although I may not play by the rules you list above. :birthday:

#350 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:42 PM

Creature Feature 55

I'm always full of hot air (or so my friends tell me) but when I get stressed out you would think I must overeat because I'm positively bloated at times. Some people tell me I'm not so attractive and that enough to really make my hair stand up!

This is a prickly subject for me, so I won't go on but suffice it to say I'm usually a sweetheart just be nice to me.

OK, this should be easy.

#351 Hipshot

Hipshot

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:56 PM

Might that be a burrfish?

Rick
:usflag:

#352 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:35 PM

Might that be a burrfish?

Rick

It might be ... but it's not. :D

However, it's so close and I don't know how to easily differentiate between the two so I'm going to declare you the winner. :D

I was specifically thinking of the Long Quilled Porcupine Fish. It's my current favorite at the Aquarium.

Your turn!

#353 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:52 PM

Creature Feature 56

Long before Izaak Walton penned, "Compleat Angler," this fish was practicing the art to perfection. It has a fleshy tab on its first dorsal ray that it uses to lure prey, and when some unsuspecting critter comes close, it opens its mouth, and just the suction draws in the doomed animal. It's a type of anglerfish, although man has somewhat turned the tables on it, since it's also a popular foodfish; the filets near the tail somewhat resemble lobster tails. It received its name because it is alleged to have swallowed some waterfowl that came too close.

#354 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 01:27 AM

Goosefish?

#355 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:27 PM

Goosefish?

In the words of The Fonz, "Correctamundo!" Your turn.

Rick

Edited by Hipshot, 10 November 2006 - 06:27 PM.

#356 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:41 PM

Creature Feature 57

I'm one of the largest sharks in the world but unlike most other sharks my upper teeth are different than my lower teeth. I'm in all of the world's oceans but you'll never see me on the surface. Who am I?

#357 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 13 November 2006 - 03:35 PM

A basking shark?
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#358 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 03:46 PM

A basking shark?

No.

Another clue. As compared to (for example) a Blue Shark this shark has a rather weak set of jaws.

Edited by gcbryan, 13 November 2006 - 03:47 PM.

#359 Piz

Piz

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:?? 200+

Posted 23 November 2006 - 02:09 AM

Ok I will have a go.

Seeing as all the biggest sharks apear to be filter feeders I will say the Megamouth Shark (Megachasma pelagois)

#360 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 03:15 AM

Ok I will have a go.

Seeing as all the biggest sharks apear to be filter feeders I will say the Megamouth Shark (Megachasma pelagois)

No. But I will add that it is not a filter feeder (most of the largest whales are filter feeder however).

I will also clarify and say that while it is one of largest sharks it isn't the largest. It's just in the larger sharks category.

It is also one of the oldest sharks in the evolution chain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users