• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Food vs. Pills

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 October 2005 - 09:33 PM

Food vs. Pills

by C. Fogle, J. Anderson and K. Wilken 1

Quick Facts...

* Healthy people can obtain all the vitamins and minerals they need from eating a variety of foods.

*Taking supplements does not guarantee protection against disease.

*Large doses of either single nutrient supplements or high potency vitamin-mineral combinations may be harmful.

*Vitamin deficiency is rare unless a person's diet is limited and lacks variety.

*Do not take self-prescribed single nutrient supplements without first consulting a physician or registered dietitian.

With so much confusion about the food we eat, the following questions and related myths explain the value of food in
comparison to vitamin and mineral supplement pills.

Can Food Give Us All the Nutrients We Need?

About 37 percent of American adults take a multivitamin supplement each day because they think the food they eat lacks
needed nutrients. With the quality and variety of food available in the United States, however, healthy people can get the
vitamins and minerals they need from food.
Our food supply provides a unique balance that cannot be duplicated by taking any combination of supplements. In addition,
eating is one of life's pleasures. However, it is evident by supplement sales totaling over $3 billion a year that much is invested
in the hope that supplements will help.

The Value of Supplements

To learn more download the pdf attached. This is a very good read and I will answer any questions you may have about this article or other aspects of nutrition.

Attached Files

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 09:59 PM

I have a question...

Ideally, one should be able to get all the necessary nutrients solely from their diet, but my (very limited) understanding is due to modern-day farming methods, the soil is so depleted that there is no way foods today can provide all the necessary nutrients as they once did -- unless perhaps one eats organic vegetables, fruits, grains, meats, etc.

What do you think?

Edited by annasea, 19 October 2005 - 10:03 PM.

#3 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2005 - 06:00 AM

Ideally, one should be able to get all the necessary nutrients solely from their diet, but my (very limited) understanding is due to modern-day farming methods, the soil is so depleted that there is no way foods today can provide all the necessary nutrients as they once did -- unless perhaps one eats organic vegetables, fruits, grains, meats, etc.

What do you think?

You may want to check out Food Pyramid--both old and new 2005 version.

Don't see any supplements mentioned anywhere on there after a cursory examination of the material--so the Feds apparently don't think they're a required item for good nutrition--neither do I.

As far as 'organically grown' my understanding of that label is that it is for foods grown without chemical aid or pesticide intervention, and usually brought to market with a minimum of processing as well. AFAIK, no one has ever proven organics to be superior in either taste or nutritional value...though I must admit that I haven't researched that aspect of it.

Platypusman
..in France, Duval. In Germany, Schmidt. You know me best as zed-emm seventy-three...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users