• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

New Diver in DC looking for training

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ThePhenom

ThePhenom

Getting started

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 06:56 AM

I was just introduced to diving over the weekend on vacation in Taba, Egypt. Diving is such a great addition to a vacation that I cant believe Ive never done it before. I am looking to get certified as soon as I get back to the States (December) and go diving in Mexico for new years. Any advice out there would be much appreciated. Thanks.

#2 Warthog

Warthog

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox, & Night
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:37 AM

There are a half dozen dive shops in the DC area, and I know a couple instructors that will do private lessons (if you are interested). Which part of DC do you live in?

#3 ThePhenom

ThePhenom

Getting started

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:34 AM

I live near Capital Hill but I have no problem driving wherever for good instruction. I was looking at aquatic adventures in VA for diving certification. How much do private lessons usually cost?

#4 Warthog

Warthog

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:53 AM

I haven't dealt with them much (just crossed paths at the local quarry a couple times). I don't remember anything (good or bad) about the gear on their students, so they can't be too bad. Most the dive shops I deal with are futher out (Fairfax/Chantilly/Sterling).

As for cost, that's actually a good question :welcome: I just help out on occasion (the eternal DM candidate), thus I don't get in to the cost of stuff. I'll shoot him an email to see if he's interested and what he'd charge. He's an airline pilot so his schedule is very flexable...when he's not flying.

The biggest problem will be finding an indoor pool that isn't already tied up in December. You may have no other choice, but to go with a shop. Which isn't all bad cuz the classes are generally pretty small in the winter...for obvious reasons. Kinda like a private lesson, only on the shop's schedule.

Something to consider when looking at training is you can get what's called a 'Referral'. Basically, within the PADI system, if you complete the pool dives at one shop. They can write you a Referral Letter, which you can then take to another PADI shop (like in Mexico) to complete your Open Water dives (four dives over two days). 'Course the drawback to this is burning two days of vacation on training. But I thought I'd bring it up since you are working within a fairly short window in the off-season. Some shops don't like to do referrals, but in the winter it's a pretty common practice (because of ppl going someplace exotic for vacation). So if one shop gives you trouble, the next one probably will do it. Just make sure it's a PADI shop...I'm not sure if NAUI or SSI can do it. Perhaps somebody can clearify that one.

I'll send you an email when I get a response from my instructor buddy.

-Matt aka Warthog

#5 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 25 October 2005 - 01:48 PM

Mexico's not looking too good right now. Try Belize!

#6 ThePhenom

ThePhenom

Getting started

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 02:00 PM

Many thanks for you help! Im looking forward to getting the ball rolling!

#7 ThePhenom

ThePhenom

Getting started

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 02:14 PM

I thought about Belize but there are some Aztec archeological sites I wanted to see in Mexico too. What do you recommend in Belize though?

#8 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:01 PM

I was thinking about the diving, but there are lots of Mayan sites as well. Belize is much more laid back and less visited than Mexico. There are no concrete jungles here - on my island (most) all the roads are sand tracks, and the vehicles are golf carts. The biggest crime is bicycle theft. The diving locally is on a very interesting "spur & groove" reef down to around 130'. There is a wall, starting at 200'! Day trips can be taken to the atolls (Belize has three of the four total to be found in the northern hemishpere) where you will find world-class wall dives and more large pelagics. Belize isn't cheap, though, and you won't get the dirt cheap deals that used to be available in Mexico. I say "used to be" because the Yucatan is largely out of actionnow, and even when it comes back much tourist capacity won't.

#9 madlobster

madlobster

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:28 PM

I was thinking about the diving, but there are lots of Mayan sites as well.  Belize is much more laid back and less visited than Mexico.  There are no concrete jungles here - on my island (most) all the roads are sand tracks, and the vehicles are golf carts.  The biggest crime is bicycle theft.  The diving locally is on a very interesting "spur & groove" reef down to around 130'.  There is a wall, starting at 200'!  Day trips can be taken to the atolls (Belize has three of the four total to be found in the northern hemishpere) where you will find world-class wall dives and more large pelagics.  Belize isn't cheap, though, and you won't get the dirt cheap deals that used to be available in Mexico.  I say "used to be" because the Yucatan is largely out of actionnow, and even when it comes back much tourist capacity won't.

Pete, I have been giving some thought to an offshore house purschase and one of the areas is Belize. It seems nice and quaint and the diving I am sure is spectacular. Perhaps you could give me an insiders scoop as to Belize. The area I was considering is Placenia in a newly being built gated community. What can you tell me about it like people, weather (say November-April), night life and the like. Any input at all would be greatly appreciated.
"The thing about dreams is sometimes you get to live'em out"- Payne Stewart

#10 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:42 PM

I use Sea Ventures in Fairfax for my basic stuff and VA Scuba in Manassas for more technical training. The best training I have to date though was through Brownies Southport in Ft Lauderdale.

#11 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 06:53 PM

I was thinking about the diving, but there are lots of Mayan sites as well.  Belize is much more laid back and less visited than Mexico.  There are no concrete jungles here - on my island (most) all the roads are sand tracks, and the vehicles are golf carts.  The biggest crime is bicycle theft.  The diving locally is on a very interesting "spur & groove" reef down to around 130'.  There is a wall, starting at 200'!  Day trips can be taken to the atolls (Belize has three of the four total to be found in the northern hemishpere) where you will find world-class wall dives and more large pelagics.  Belize isn't cheap, though, and you won't get the dirt cheap deals that used to be available in Mexico.  I say "used to be" because the Yucatan is largely out of actionnow, and even when it comes back much tourist capacity won't.

Pete, I have been giving some thought to an offshore house purschase and one of the areas is Belize. It seems nice and quaint and the diving I am sure is spectacular. Perhaps you could give me an insiders scoop as to Belize. The area I was considering is Placenia in a newly being built gated community. What can you tell me about it like people, weather (say November-April), night life and the like. Any input at all would be greatly appreciated.

ML - just saw this. A bit busy for a few days but I'll PM you then. If I haven't please PM me, and ideally send me your email address.

#12 madlobster

madlobster

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 28 October 2005 - 10:28 AM

ML - just saw this. A bit busy for a few days but I'll PM you then. If I haven't please PM me, and ideally send me your email address.

As I haven't paid membership as of yet I can not PM and not sure if I can post my email address here but I think it's in my profile which you as a member may see. If not I will probably be paying for membership this weekend (as a birthday present to me) and will have that ability then.
"The thing about dreams is sometimes you get to live'em out"- Payne Stewart

#13 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 05:05 PM

Your email isn't visible. In my profile you'll see my website, and you can email me from there.

#14 Warthog

Warthog

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:17 AM

Phenom,

Alas, I can't email you or PM you with the contact info for my instructor. He replied "Sure. I charge $175.00 (negotiable). I have a training place in Florida if we need to go in the winter. Let me know.". I'm assuming that means in addition to rental equipment and pool admission.

I was going to send his email address to you, but alas, I can't w/o publishing it to the whole world :verysad:

Matt aka Warthog

#15 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 03:43 PM

Alas, I can't email you or PM you with the contact info for my instructor.  He replied "Sure. I charge $175.00 (negotiable). I have a training place in Florida if we need to go in the winter. Let me know.".  I'm assuming that means in addition to rental equipment and pool admission. 

Matt,

Silly question, I'm sure, but what is this $175.00 referring to exactly? An hourly rate; or cost of the whole OW course, excluding rentals, pool admission, etc.? Also, is this with PADI, or a different agency?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users