• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

New Diver in DC looking for training

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Drgnfiend

Drgnfiend

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Cert Level:Assistant Instructor
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 30 October 2005 - 04:07 PM

To clear up something that was mentioned previously, NAUI also does the referral letter option. During both my basic and advanced open water classes we had students that were planning to complete their open water dives somewhere other than the chilly waters of Millbrook. If you find a shop in the DC area that will do a basic training class between now and December and they don't have their open water dives being done as a part of some trip they are planning you can pretty much guarantee they'll have to do a referral letter since Millbrook closes for the season the third weekend in November.

I'll also contact a couple of instructors I know that do private lessons and see how much they'd charge to do your pool sessions and book work with you if you plan on doing your open water testing dives down in Mexico. As was previously mentioned though if you can find a shop that will do all of it before you leave, and you don't mind the chill of Millbrook I'd complete the stuff up here that way you won't be killing part of your vacation time on training.

#17 Warthog

Warthog

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox, & Night
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:27 PM

Alas, I can't email you or PM you with the contact info for my instructor.  He replied "Sure. I charge $175.00 (negotiable). I have a training place in Florida if we need to go in the winter. Let me know.".  I'm assuming that means in addition to rental equipment and pool admission. 

Matt,

Silly question, I'm sure, but what is this $175.00 referring to exactly? An hourly rate; or cost of the whole OW course, excluding rentals, pool admission, etc.? Also, is this with PADI, or a different agency?

I'm guessing that was just for the classroom and pool sessions (excluding equipment/admission). And he's a PADI MSDT.

My plan was to just hook them up as I can't help. I'm already over-comitted to other activities until like June '06 :D

I know, seems a bit low to me too :diver:

Edited by Warthog, 30 October 2005 - 09:30 PM.

#18 Warthog

Warthog

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:31 PM

To clear up something that was mentioned previously, NAUI also does the referral letter option. During both my basic and advanced open water classes we had students that were planning to complete their open water dives somewhere other than the chilly waters of Millbrook. If you find a shop in the DC area that will do a basic training class between now and December and they don't have their open water dives being done as a part of some trip they are planning you can pretty much guarantee they'll have to do a referral letter since Millbrook closes for the season the third weekend in November.

I'll also contact a couple of instructors I know that do private lessons and see how much they'd charge to do your pool sessions and book work with you if you plan on doing your open water testing dives down in Mexico. As was previously mentioned though if you can find a shop that will do all of it before you leave, and you don't mind the chill of Millbrook I'd complete the stuff up here that way you won't be killing part of your vacation time on training.

I figured as much about NAUI, but it's good to know for sure.

As for Millbrook, he won't be back in the states until December, so Millbrook is out.

#19 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:33 PM

Alas, I can't email you or PM you with the contact info for my instructor.  He replied "Sure. I charge $175.00 (negotiable). I have a training place in Florida if we need to go in the winter. Let me know.".  I'm assuming that means in addition to rental equipment and pool admission. 

Matt,

Silly question, I'm sure, but what is this $175.00 referring to exactly? An hourly rate; or cost of the whole OW course, excluding rentals, pool admission, etc.? Also, is this with PADI, or a different agency?

I'm guessing that was just for the classroom and pool sessions (excluding equipment/admission). And he's a PADI MSDT.

My plan was to just hook them up as I can't help. I'm already over-comitted to other activities until like June '06 :D

I know, seems a bit low to me too :diver:

When you took your class with this instructor, how many people were in your class, Matt?

#20 Warthog

Warthog

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 10:29 PM

4 or 5, and I think the rate back then was something like $200 including gear and admission for the pool sessions. Which meant the shop would have made something in the neighborhood of $100/pp. The key here being the shop. I know for a fact our instructors don't make that much per student, so I see where you are going, I just expected him to put more of a premium on exclusive time.

#21 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 10:37 PM

4 or 5, and I think the rate back then was something like $200 including gear and admission for the pool sessions.  Which meant the shop would have made something in the neighborhood of $100/pp.  The key here being the shop.  I know for a fact our instructors don't make that much per student, so I see where you are going, I just expected him to put more of a premium on exclusive time.

I'd agree. An instructor I emailed had a much larger fee just for a refresher and check out dives. (In Vancouver, most of the dive shops charge the same rate for an OW course.)

The reason I'm asking is I'm still open to finding a really good instructor that I'll feel comfortable working with. Between this board and the *big* board, I'm learning what types of questions to ask prospective instructors.

If you don't mind, I'd like to PM you for more information.

:D

#22 Warthog

Warthog

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 09:29 AM

No problemo, I'll PM you his contact info. BTW, he's an airline pilot and single :unsure:

Actually, I think he's been running the Seattle/Dulles leg lately.

#23 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,702 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 28 November 2005 - 01:57 PM

No problemo, I'll PM you his contact info. BTW, he's an airline pilot and single ;)

Actually, I think he's been running the Seattle/Dulles leg lately.

Now now...if he is an instructor ask him to talk to SD about being one for us! And if he is single then definitely tell him about us and oh yes.....will you share that info with other gals on the site??? :P

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users